Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

What makes a tandem fork?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-23, 04:20 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,801 Times in 655 Posts

I have the opportunity to buy. A custom made tandem from a well-known Framebuilder, and I noticed it had a different brand fork. He told me it was necessary because you have to use a tandem fork with a tandem. Is this true? And if so, what makes a tandem fork so special?
Old 05-17-23, 04:51 AM
scycheng

Bikes: Merlin Road, Rivendell Road, Arvon custom tandme, Hi-Light G-7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
I have the opportunity to buy. A custom made tandem from a well-known Framebuilder, and I noticed it had a different brand fork. He told me it was necessary because you have to use a tandem fork with a tandem. Is this true? And if so, what makes a tandem fork so special?
Is it absolutely necessary? Perhaps not. Is it a really good idea from safety perspective, absolutely.

You need a fork that can take about 4X of the amount of force and abuse that a single bike fork for safety. You have 2 people on board applying twice as much pedaling force and, under hard braking, exerting a lot more stress on the fork. In addition, it's very hard for the stoker to unload their weight when there is an obstacle ahead they can't see such as potholes, curbs and so forth.

For these reasons, I would only use a tandem rated fork on a tandem. You maybe able to get away with a stout single bike fork (for a while) but remember if your fork fails, that's an guarantee you are going to crash immediately.
Likes For scycheng:
Old 05-19-23, 08:50 PM
RoulezTandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Strength. Here is some beautiful custom work by Roulez Cycle who built frame and fork on our steel handicapped adaptive tandem.
Fabrication pics prior to finish and paint.

Last edited by RoulezTandem; 05-19-23 at 08:54 PM.