Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

R8000 front der / 11s cassette

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-21-23, 09:54 PM
bunsen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is a r8000 front mech derr's cage wide enough to cover the whole range of 11 gears? If the chain touches when shifting on the upper (bigger) cassette speeds, how can I adjust the front derr do have clearance, (I am aware that I'd be sacrificing gears when in the small chain ring.. But if I want keep the derr mainly in the large chain ring....
Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-23, 05:38 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,311 Times in 2,699 Posts
In theory, the big ring trim position should allow you to use the entire cassette. Follow the instructions precisely and in order. Shimano

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-22-23, 05:45 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Shimano 11 speed setups have a trim position for the front derailleur to address that situation for both large and small rings. It is still desirable to not cross chain any more often than necessary
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 05-22-23, 06:11 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 342 Posts
I'm guessing the Shimano warning is mostly for the big chainring interference.
The Dealer Manual linked in the comment above is very good. All the steps are clearly explained, even for an amateur mechanic like me.

My Di2 trims the front derailleur automatically.,so there's no derailleur cage rubbing. (and the newer Di2 versions don't even allow the small-small cross chain.)

When cross chaining the small front and smallest two cogs, the chain hits the shifting assist pins on the side of the big chainring. Tick, tick, tick... It still rides okay, it's just an annoying noise.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-22-23 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-23-23, 12:57 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
When cross chaining the small front and smallest two cogs, the chain hits the shifting assist pins on the side of the big chainring. Tick, tick, tick... It still rides okay, it's just an annoying noise.
The diagram from the Shimano dealer manual shown above in post #2 indicates that there may be chain rub and noise when riding on the small chainring with the 4 smallest cogs. The exact number of cogs affected depends on the chain line and the length of the chain stays.
Old 05-23-23, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
With some bikes having shorter chain stays and other bikes just not having the perfect chain line between the front and the back, you might just have to put up with some rub when in the big/big or small/small. However you really shouldn't be in those gears long. And there is very likely a ratio that's very close to that combo in the other chain ring if you have to have that ratio or number of gear inches for an extended period.

Trim goes a long way to solving the issue. Make sure you understand how and when to use it and when to remove the trim as you shift through the gears. It also needs to be checked when you do your initial adjustments on the FDR as it might not be working correctly if you don't pay attention to it.