Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two compatible bike hitches for car - difference?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-27-23, 08:16 AM
DC_Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello:

My local U-Haul is able to install one of two hitches they have determined to be compatible with my vehicle (4-door sedan), but I can't figure out the differences between them other than cost. Would any expert be willing to share their advice?

Hitch 1 ($200): https://www.draw-tite.com/product/24...-trailer-hitch
Hitch 2 ($130): https://www.draw-tite.com/product/24...-trailer-hitch

Thanks,
Old 03-27-23, 08:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Have you asked the U-Haul dealer this question?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-23, 08:34 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,386 Times in 4,145 Posts
PART NO 24964 - VERSATILE: This Draw-Tite Class I hitch is designed to fit the following make and model: 2018-2020 Hyundai Elantra, 2018-2023 KIA Rio.
PART NO 24939 - VERSATILE: This Draw-Tite Class I hitch is designed to fit the following make and model: 2017-2020 Hyundai Elantra.

There ya go.
Old 03-27-23, 08:36 AM
canalligators
Old guy & bikes

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Raleigh International, Rans Sequoia, GT Timberline, Double Vision tandem, Optima Baron, old Raleighs.

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
Either would be more than adequate for a bike carrier, or even a light utility trailer. Both class 1 with1 1/4” receiver. One might fit better or be easier to install on your particular car.

Note that some bike carriers use a 2” receiver. To use one of these, you would need an adapter, an extra expense.
Old 03-27-23, 08:37 AM
DC_Cycle

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put a call in with the manufacturer but have not heard back. With U-Haul, I can't get the right person on the phone.

One hitch weighs 10 lbs more than the other. That's the only real difference I see from my perspective. Trying to see if there is anything more to learn here.
Old 03-27-23, 08:39 AM
Koyote

Just fyi: I bought my last hitch from this site:https://www.etrailer.com/

Cost a bit less than U-Haul. But if you're gonna have U-Haul do the install, then you're probably stuck with their hitch.
Old 03-27-23, 06:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The more expensive hitch receiver usually includes trailer wiring for towing a trailer. I put a hitch without the electrical connector on my wife's new Rav4 as she wants it only for mounting a bike rack.
Old 03-27-23, 07:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,357 Times in 2,034 Posts
I'd surmise installation time might be an issue
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-27-23, 08:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I would recommend a hitch with a 2" receiver versus the 1 1/4, you can always get a reducer to the 1 1/4 if needed, but a 2" gives you more rack options where a company does not make a 1 1/4 hitch. Also check around for a for another company that installs hitches, might get a better deal. I have know people where U-haul did really crap work.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 03-27-23 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 08:41 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 760 Posts
Given that I have 5 hitch receivers on 4 vehicles (the Mighty Truckasaurus has them both front & rear), I thought I'd contribute.

If your vehicle has both Class I (1 1/4") or Class III (2") hitches available, I'd get the Class III version for greater capacity and flexibility. Most 1 1/4" hitch bike racks I'm familiar with come with a 2" adapter. And you never know when you might need to actually tow something.

That being said, many compact & smaller passenger vehicles only have 1 1/4" receivers available. I think this is to discourage the use of the vehicle for towing something it shouldn't. Admittedly I could rig up adapters and attach my 26' Argosy travel trailer to the Class I hitch on my Yaris, but even with a weight-distrributing hitch the result is likely to not go well.
Old 03-27-23, 08:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
None of the above. U-haul hitches are cheap and poorly finished. If you absolutely need to use them in an emergency they are a place that offers hitch installation. I get a dealer can be more expensive but there are plenty of mechanics who should be able to install a hitch maybe not as cheaply but would be more recommended for safe install and quality. It is rare a shop will do it but some will. Our shop does it often but I haven't been too another shop that does it.

I would recommend Curt hitches or B&W/Stealth Hitches depending on what might fit. The rare occasions we would use a Draw Tite or non-Curt or Stealth is if there is no other option or those hitches cannot be sourced at the time and the customer is in a great hurry.

In terms of racks, stick with a rack that does 1 1/4 if that is your hitch. I wouldn't recommend adapting. The smaller hitch receivers do not hold as much weight and the corresponding racks generally are designed around those limits. Some can do both but just be cognizant of the limits.

Obviously if you can get a 2 inch class II or ideally class III receiver always go for that. Stronger receiver more carrying capacity for bikes but also keep in mind the abilities of the vehicle. The hitch can handle X pounds but can the vehicle tow x pounds (if you use it for towing).
Old 03-27-23, 09:04 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I've bought 2 hitch receivers from eTrailer, and installed them both myself. I'm not suggesting you do your own install, as you have to decide what's within your capabilities and interest.

With that said, a nice thing about eTrailer is that they provide instructions for all of their receivers. This allowed me to compare products and directly answer the question of which ones would be easier to install. One question is whether they have to cut or drill holes into your car. Also, they were willing to sell me the hitch without the wiring harness. I'm not interested in the harness, as the hitch was just for carrying bikes, but I can always buy the harness later if I want to pull a trailer.

Another question is, how low does it hang? The lower it hangs, the more careful you have to be while doing things like backing up towards curbs, and the like.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 03-27-23, 09:11 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Given that I have 5 hitch receivers on 4 vehicles (the Mighty Truckasaurus has them both front & rear), I thought I'd contribute.

If your vehicle has both Class I (1 1/4") or Class III (2") hitches available, I'd get the Class III version for greater capacity and flexibility. Most 1 1/4" hitch bike racks I'm familiar with come with a 2" adapter. And you never know when you might need to actually tow something.

That being said, many compact & smaller passenger vehicles only have 1 1/4" receivers available. I think this is to discourage the use of the vehicle for towing something it shouldn't. Admittedly I could rig up adapters and attach my 26' Argosy travel trailer to the Class I hitch on my Yaris, but even with a weight-distrributing hitch the result is likely to not go well.

Yea my wife's old car was like that, but I told the hitch joint I go to that it was only for a bike rack, so they installed a 2" on it.

Old 03-27-23, 09:44 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by veganbikes
None of the above. U-haul hitches are cheap and poorly finished.

I would recommend Curt hitches or B&W/Stealth Hitches depending on what might fit. The rare occasions we would use a Draw Tite or non-Curt or Stealth is if there is no other option or those hitches cannot be sourced at the time and the customer is in a great hurry.
Yup. One of my cars has a U-Haul hitch; it works fine. The other has a Curt hitch that I got from eTrailer.com; is cost 1/2 as much money and is nicer -- it's also practically invisible, with only the 2" receiver visible from behind the car.

btw: On our most recent new-car purchase, I sourced the hitch from eTrailer and the dealer installed it for free before I picked up the vehicle -- and this was during the pandemic supply chain mess, when I was lucky just to FIND a new car to purchase. Something to keep in mind if you are buying a new car and know you'll want a hitch on it.
Old 03-28-23, 12:27 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 303 Posts
Not being an expert of the car it's intended to be installed onto, it's hard to make an informed judgement. One may leverage a slightly stronger mounting position than the other, but for the purpose of putting on a bike rack, I don't think there will be any appreciable difference between the two. If you're not towing anything (or even if you were - since the limiting factor will be the car not the hitch receiver), I wouldn't overthink this.
Old 03-28-23, 06:03 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
I bought 2" hitches from e-trailer for two cars. Their instructions make them easy to install.

One thing to be wary of if you need an adapter to go from 2" to 1-1/4 or vise-versa: They add length and might introduce wobble.
Old 03-28-23, 06:09 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I would recommend a hitch with a 2" receiver versus the 1 1/4, you can always get a reducer to the 1 1/4 if needed, but a 2" gives you more rack options where a company does not make a 1 1/4 hitch. Also check around for a for another company that installs hitches, might get a better deal. I have know people where U-haul did really crap work.
Most of those cars are not rated at the towing capacity of a 2" receiver so no manufacturer will make a 2" hitch for them.

Like any service facility it depends on the individual location/worker
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-28-23, 06:20 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Originally Posted by veganbikes
None of the above. U-haul hitches are cheap and poorly finished. If you absolutely need to use them in an emergency they are a place that offers hitch installation. I get a dealer can be more expensive but there are plenty of mechanics who should be able to install a hitch maybe not as cheaply but would be more recommended for safe install and quality. It is rare a shop will do it but some will. Our shop does it often but I haven't been too another shop that does it.

I would recommend Curt hitches or B&W/Stealth Hitches depending on what might fit. The rare occasions we would use a Draw Tite or non-Curt or Stealth is if there is no other option or those hitches cannot be sourced at the time and the customer is in a great hurry..

The OP's linked hitches are DrawTite, Uhaul does not manufacture hitches. Really a hitch is a bunch of welded steel with some powder coating. Not a whole lot of variation between manufacturers to meet rating and mounting requirements. I do prefer Curt but mostly because they are a WI manufacturer.
Exact same linked hitch is available from all retailers. https://www.napaonline.com/accessori...hitch/15edb85a
Old 03-28-23, 07:13 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The one made for two different cars may be a compromise, so I would think that the one that is specifically made for just your model would be the better choice. It has two holes for vertical bolts to go through the frame while the other relies on one through the frame and two horizontal supporting bolts.

Either one would support a bike without issue, but you may as well get the best one you can if you decide to tow in the future. I have a light-duty 1 1/4" hitch on my car, usually keep a bike rack on it, but have also towed many a U-Haul trailer with it.
Old 03-28-23, 09:36 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Most of those cars are not rated at the towing capacity of a 2" receiver so no manufacturer will make a 2" hitch for them.

I was surprised (or perhaps lucky) to find E-trailer makes a 2" hitch for my little Honda Fit. A car that otherwise shouldn't tow anything larger than a Radio Flyer wagon. I'm just happy that it lets me use my 2" rack without any adapters.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-28-23, 01:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur

I agree with getting a 2" receiver if they make one for the car in question. However, I have a 1-1/4 on my Impreza because that's all that's available - probably because the Impreza is not rated to tow anything. It's easy enough to get a 1-1/4 to 2" adapter. I have one with a anti-rattle clamp, more or less permanently installed. I tow a very small trailer with a light load from time to time for things I can't or don't want to fit inside the car. And my bike rack is 2", although it came in a 1-1/4" version as well. The 2" version had an optional 2 bike add-on and is also better to use with my pickup which has a 2-1/2 inch receiver (and also a camper on the back which is why I avoid using it for local use with the bike rack or trailer). I'd have to use two adapters for that.

So get a 2" receiver if you can, but don't worry if you can't. You will be able to use any bike rack made.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-28-23 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-28-23, 03:36 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I agree with getting a 2" receiver if they make one for the car in question. However, I have a 1-1/4 on my Impreza because that's all that's available - probably because the Impreza is not rated to tow anything.
For our motor vehicles, the Yaris and Monte Carlo only had 1 1/4" receivers available, whereas the Odyssey and C1500 had Class III 2" receivers readily available. I think it may be a relatively narrow range of vehicles that have both versions available.
Old 03-28-23, 08:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
The OP's linked hitches are DrawTite, Uhaul does not manufacture hitches. Really a hitch is a bunch of welded steel with some powder coating. Not a whole lot of variation between manufacturers to meet rating and mounting requirements. I do prefer Curt but mostly because they are a WI manufacturer.
Exact same linked hitch is available from all retailers. https://www.napaonline.com/accessori...hitch/15edb85a
Not totally true. There is a difference in manufacturing quality and U-Haul hitches are of low quality. I don't know if they are selling from their own brand still or doing it as DrawTite but quality does vary. Having seen enough of their hitches with flaking paint or powder coat leads me to say no thanks.
Old 03-29-23, 07:05 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
If it were me, I’d go with a two inch receiver as many have wisely suggested.
However if you are determined to get one of the receivers in your original post, take the first one, it has a better mounting system, which would be less susceptible to corrosion caused by road salt. It’s big deal In Wisconsin, no idea where you live, so may not be a factor.
Tim
Old 03-30-23, 12:58 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts

This is silly advice. I put a 2" receiver on my 2022 Rav4 so I could use my 1up bike rack on it. I installed a Curt Class III 2" hitch receiver and paid $214.61 to buy it from etrailer.com (a great source for tow products and advice). The more expensive hitches included a connector and wiring for use with a trailer which I did not need for the Rav4. For towing I have a F-150 pickup truck.

Much simpler to have one bike rack that works easily with both vehicles and no adapter needed. Often a hitch adapter makes the bike rack stick further back and the mount can be lower to the ground and more likely to scrape. One thing I like about the 1up bike rack is that the bike mounts increase in ground clearance the further back they are so the second bike is higher than the first and if a third platform is added it is even higher and has more ground clearance.

Receiver class only comes into play when one is towing and the receiver needs to be able to handle the maximum load based on the tow rating of the vehicle's manufacturer. If the receiver can handle a great load that is not going to be a problem.
Likes For Calsun:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.