Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

three-way wrenches

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

three-way wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-23, 08:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
smd4 ,
I have a penchant for VAR products and some others like Artisan Tool and Die.
Yeah, I remember VAR. I liked their tools.
Old 05-19-23, 09:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
Abbey Tools looks like really nice stuff, and it's priced accordingly...
https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools

I wasn't willing to spend $185 on the Abbey chain tool, but I did get this Topeak one for $40, and works really well.
Old 05-19-23, 09:51 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Eric F
Abbey Tools looks like really nice stuff, and it's priced accordingly...
https://www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/tools

I wasn't willing to spend $185 on the Abbey chain tool, but I did get this Topeak one for $40, and works really well.
Green is cool. But asking that much for a chain tool is silly. Or they just don't want to sell very many of them.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-19-23, 09:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by smd4
Green is cool. But asking that much for a chain tool is silly. Or they just don't want to sell very many of them.
For $185, I would expect it to break the chain for me, and make me a cup of coffee at the same time. Maybe a massage, too.
Old 05-19-23, 11:14 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
For $185, I would expect it to break the chain for me, and make me a cup of coffee at the same time. Maybe a massage, too.
Heh, two of my Nespresso machines were about that price, so only coffee, no massage.

I have the Park Tool version, don't see any reason to get a more expensive one, and after breaking a couple of chains, think I could have easily made do with a less expensive one. Now that most Shimano chains come with a quick link, the chain breaker is only used once or twice per chain to shorten the chain, and there is no need to finesse a new chain pin into place afterward.

I get that we all like professional tools, but despite each of us owning multiple bikes and occasionally fix them for others, it is not like we all work full time at the LBS.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-19-23, 11:28 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Heh, two of my Nespresso machines were about that price, so only coffee, no massage.

I have the Park Tool version, don't see any reason to get a more expensive one, and after breaking a couple of chains, think I could have easily made do with a less expensive one. Now that most Shimano chains come with a quick link, the chain breaker is only used once or twice per chain to shorten the chain, and there is no need to finesse a new chain pin into place afterward.

I get that we all like professional tools, but despite each of us owning multiple bikes and occasionally fix them for others, it is not like we all work full time at the LBS.
That Topeak breaker I got has a little double-hook thingy inside the handle. It holds the chain together while you get the quick-link connected. It's handy for me because I have a tendency to lose grip in the chain, launch half a quick-link across my garage, and I'm not always successful in recovering them. I was going to make a hook from a piece of wire, but never got around to it before I bought the new breaker.

You are correct that I'm not a pro mechanic. I've never been one, and I never will be. However, I do enjoy working on my bikes, and I like doing it even more with nice tools.
Old 05-19-23, 11:40 AM
smd4

Nice tools do help. I remember when we got the Snap-On combination wrenches and screwdrivers. The tools just felt better for some reason.

But for around the house, I got a set of Craftsman screwdrivers that mimicked the Snap-On handle shape, and some regular combination wrenches, and they do the exact same job. For bike tools, Park covers most bases, and other manufacturers fill in the remainder.
Old 05-19-23, 11:50 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Simple. Because it feels crappy in your hand. Not to mention, personally, that tool would be absolutely useless on my bike. And probably most bikes that belong to people on these forums.

The best thing about the original AWS-1 wasn’t that it functioned flawlessly, it’s that it felt great in the hand while you used it.

We had one of those multi tools when I was young, but, since I didn't carry it with me, I didn't use it much. However, a 15mm wrench would be handy to carry with me (including the time that I got stuck with a rear flat on my Bike Friday, and no way to get the tire off).
Old 05-19-23, 12:02 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
That Topeak breaker I got has a little double-hook thingy inside the handle. It holds the chain together while you get the quick-link connected. ...
My Pedro Chain Checker II has that double-hook thingy on the non-chain checking side.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-19-23, 12:33 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Yeah, I remember VAR. I liked their tools.
Yeah! So does cuda Kurt. Ask him about the VAR cotter press. He previewed it in the cotter press pass around thread. Worth every penny and does indeed get the job done right. Smiles, MH
Old 05-20-23, 04:42 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm not sure why one would buy a 3-way wrench when one can get a 10-way wrench. A whole tool set in a single wrench.
The dumbbell spanner used to be quite useful, but not so much with modern kit that uses mostly socket-head fasteners.
There are a few tools that you leave in your apron pocket, Y wrenches in 8,9,10 and hex 4,5,6, small straight and Philips screwdrivers, because they're good for the sort of quick tweak that you might do outside without booking in a job. Y wrenches have quite good ergonomics.
Old 05-21-23, 01:38 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
I had to look for this 3 way tool which is a "wrench force" branded item and I really like this one.

Don't always like to use the ball head allens but unlke the Silca tool these do not round out the fastener.

/markp

Old 05-21-23, 01:48 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Snap-on tools aren't the best and they cost too much, but break one and they'll give you a new one.
Right up there with Craftsman and Husky (handtools).

[No questions asked. (How'd you break this 1/4 drive ratchet? Uh...I had an 18" cheater bar on it.)]
Old 05-21-23, 02:16 PM
tcs
Palmer

Gunsmithing screwdrivers: parallel faces, don't cam out and damage fastener.

Interesting discussion on B4633 JIS Phillips screwdrivers: Is there such a thing? Did B4633 even govern such a tool?

I dunno. Like Wera Kraftform Lasertip Phillips, though. Resists cam out.

Pretty much ancient history for bikes, I guess. On to Torx vs TorxPlus!
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-21-23, 02:42 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tcs
Gunsmithing screwdrivers: parallel faces, don't cam out and damage fastener.

Not sure I remember seeing slotted screws on a bike. At least not on one from the last 40 years. But that’s a nice looking set of screwdrivers.
Old 05-21-23, 03:00 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
for screwdrivers I am a big fan of .250 hex bits.

Wera makes really nice bits, and I love this Snap On ratcheting driver

maybe the best tool they make. I have given several as gifts

/markp

Old 05-21-23, 04:43 PM
tcs
Palmer

Not sure I remember seeing slotted screws on a bike. At least not on one from the last 40 years.
Exactement, mon ami.

Esoteric, I suppose, but you put a burr on some cat's Super Record 50th Anni, and there'll be hell to pay.

Niche: My late-model folding bike has a couple of slotted fasteners. Hmm. Seems like one of my taillamps does, too.

Last edited by tcs; 05-21-23 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-21-23, 04:46 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by tcs
Exactement, mon ami.

Niche: My late-model folding bike has a couple of slotted fasteners. Hmm. Seems like one of my taillamps does, too.
Merci.
Old 05-21-23, 07:31 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Aren't single sized hex/allen wrenches $0.50 at the hardware store?
Yeah, but I wouldn't use them. Bondhus will cost a couple buck each for singles and 20-25 for a set but at a good quality, US made, reliable allen wrench. Not going to ruin your nice stuff with a lousy, soft steel wrench.

I use the original AWS-1 from Park--aluminum-bodied and hard steel--and when we used them in the shop, they were virtually indestructible. Easily my favorite bike tool of all time, and never far from my apron pocket.

Today I wouldn't purchase the new version. Isn't worth the price.

However, the Unior seems a worthy replacement:

Unior Y-wrenches.
Agree, they've sucked since Park stopped offering those. I'll have to try out the Unior.

Originally Posted by Calsun
The problem with snap on sockets and hex wrenches is that even a small ratchet wrench allows the user to apply too much torque with small fasteners and snap them off. Most common problem with the front derailleur was from owners snapping off the 8mm bolts. An advantage of small wrenches is that you avoid over tightening fasteners and damaging them in the process.
That's really true of any wrench, ratchet makes no difference. Early on I stripped out a couple of those 9mm nuts on the front der using an old craftsman wrench, which isn't as long as the Wright non-ratcheting I use and certainly shorter than the Snap-on and SK ratchet wrenches I use. Even with the longer wrenches I haven't stripped any out, I just learned to apply an appropriate amount of torque.
Old 05-22-23, 02:54 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Yeah, but I wouldn't use them. Bondhus will cost a couple buck each for singles and 20-25 for a set but at a good quality, US made, reliable allen wrench. Not going to ruin your nice stuff with a lousy, soft steel wrench.

Agree, they've sucked since Park stopped offering those. I'll have to try out the Unior.

That's really true of any wrench, ratchet makes no difference. Early on I stripped out a couple of those 9mm nuts on the front der using an old craftsman wrench, which isn't as long as the Wright non-ratcheting I use and certainly shorter than the Snap-on and SK ratchet wrenches I use. Even with the longer wrenches I haven't stripped any out, I just learned to apply an appropriate amount of torque.
Unior has the "blades" molded into plastic (so the core is just pure plastic). Not very strong or durable, especially the smaller version (the 4-5-6 mm hex version is OK-ish).

For some reason, I'm not a fan of those three-way wrenches (regardless of the brand, quality etc.). The ends always get in the way (hit something when turning).
I prefer a combo of one "normal" and one T-handle bit-holding screwdriver (Wera are my favourite because of the bit quality and design).

tcs
+1 for the Wera Kraftform Lasertip (I have the same as depicted, stainless-steel version). It's awesome.
Wera Phillips bits work very well with screws on bikes, but when I need to use more force and torque (especially for more than a few turns), the Lasertip's tip and handle shape and size are just a perfect fit for my hands at least.
Old 05-23-23, 12:26 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Honestly, as a professional wrench I've mostly used the Park AWS3 and also Pedros Y wrenches. I like the ergonomics on the Pedros very slightly better. I know Park's hex wrenches are basically made by Bondhus with basic oxide coating and then placed into molded plastic (when applicable) so the tolerances and metallurgy really aren't bad. These items are semi consumable and honestly I don't see them wear very fast when used appropriately. There's a small handful of tasks I like their ergonomics for--like tightening brake pads, sometimes stem face bolts, etc, loosening (and then hitting) the bolts on the bottom of Rockshox forks, etc. Almost everything else is with decent quality long L wrenches (I honestly like color coded Bondhus--the quality is good and they're reasonably inexpensive). I literally never use P wrenches and hate them. My shop just got sliding T handles and I'm not yet convinced about them, but I have a lot of muscle memory with L wrenches.

Park has its moments. Honestly in general the quality is reasonable, occasionally their designs are nice and or clever, and occasionally they have a real dud (their DOT universal bleed kit sucks massively). Unless a mechanic has some really specific obligations regarding tool branding, it's a bit of a sign of experience that their tool kit is cobbled together from different brands representing tool-by-tool preferences.

EVT and Abbey get my votes as the best/most innovative manufacturers. You don't always need them, but sometimes you do. The EVT repair stand head is absolutely worth it in a commercial environment, for example.
Likes For cpach:
Old 05-24-23, 06:34 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Snap-on tools aren't the best and they cost too much, but break one and they'll give you a new one.
I'm interested to see which tools you think are "better"? Mac, Proto, SK, Cornwell, Wera? Something else? Seriously, I'd like to know because I'd like to check them out. You're right about the cost though. All of the best tools are expensive.

You don't see that many Snap On in bike shops but in automotive, body and fabrication shops they and the others I mentioned pretty much have those markets sewn-up tight. Yeah, you'll see a few Craftsman but ever since all of their manufacturing went to China, their quality fell off the table too. Many of their wrenches were made by Danaher tool in the US.

I have Craftsman (Danaher), Snap On, Mac and Cornwell and all of them are prized tools of mine and their wrenches, especially Snap On, always fit tight and never round-off a nut. And, if a nut is rounded off, the first wrench or socket I reach for is a Snap On, I also work on my own cars, have for decades, hence my penchant for "automotive" tools as well as the collection of Park, Hozan and VAR.
Old 05-24-23, 08:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
It is a shop tool for a professional mechanic. It is an expensive tool-ish but in the end it is designed to last for a long long time. So initially expensive but if it lasts for a while and can adapt to ever changing chain sizes it is not a bad deal. It also feels really good in the hand. I put mine in the hand of someone who knows little about bikes and bike tools and certainly had no idea what the heck this thing was but is knowledgeable about quality tools and they wanted one.

I won't say go out and buy one, I love the tool, it is pretty, it is super functional and feels really good in all forms and functions, but it is expensive for a home mechanic and someone how may not be using it often. I will admit yeah if I hadn't bought it during their Monday sale they do each year I probably wouldn't own one and really it is just jewelry in the box but if people can wear diamonds and gold surely I can have an emerald that also breaks chains ; )
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-23, 08:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I'm interested to see which tools you think are "better"? Mac, Proto, SK, Cornwell, Wera? Something else? Seriously, I'd like to know because I'd like to check them out. You're right about the cost though. All of the best tools are expensive.

You don't see that many Snap On in bike shops but in automotive, body and fabrication shops they and the others I mentioned pretty much have those markets sewn-up tight. Yeah, you'll see a few Craftsman but ever since all of their manufacturing went to China, their quality fell off the table too. Many of their wrenches were made by Danaher tool in the US.

I have Craftsman (Danaher), Snap On, Mac and Cornwell and all of them are prized tools of mine and their wrenches, especially Snap On, always fit tight and never round-off a nut. And, if a nut is rounded off, the first wrench or socket I reach for is a Snap On, I also work on my own cars, have for decades, hence my penchant for "automotive" tools as well as the collection of Park, Hozan and VAR.
Would like to hear as well...
I do think for general tools for the most part Snap-On is pretty damn good I haven't used anything quite as nice yet and have used a bunch of different tool brands stuff. My old shop at one point had about 9 Snap On boxes (technically you could say 3 but talking individual pieces it was 9 boxes) and most of the mechanics had some Snap-On tools to a lot of Snap-On tools. I know not super common in a shop but we loved it.

Yes Snap-On doesn't currently make bike specific tools and probably won't but there other tools are excellent and that is what matters to me. I will happily own Snap-On and continue buying Snap-On because they make great tools and have an excellent warranty. I called my guy and hey replaced the wrench no questions asked no issues no cost easy peasy.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-24-23, 09:48 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,804 Times in 818 Posts
When someone mentions a three-way wrench, I think of this:

I've owned this 8-9-10 Y wrench for over 40 years. I originally purchased it in the bicycle section of a local Yellow Front variety store - it's interesting that several of the Taiwanese tools I bought at Yellow Front are still in front-line use.

This wrench rides in my shop apron when I'm working at Rusty Spoke, Recycle Your Bicycle, or other place, and has seen heavy use its entire life - and just keeps working. I have had to grind it down a bit over the decades to correct any rounding of the hexes, but at current rates it's good for another century or so.
Likes For RCMoeur:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.