Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can't remove the hub on Axis wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 03:07 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

I have an Axis (standard on 2017 Specialized Roubaix) rim brake rear wheel that I want to keep (has a 19mm inner rim width for larger tires). The hub is rough so I want to replace it. I have all new ball bearings for it. The videos suggest using a 10mm wrench to remove the hub but that goes right through the wheel. A 12mm also doesn't work since the hub looks to be round all the way through. Is the hub somehow permanent or is there some trick that I'm missing. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-23, 03:22 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 655 Posts
you are going to have a very tough time "removing the hub" with those tools.

I suspect you mean you are trying to remove the axle so you can get at the hub cones and balls.

if it is rough be prepared for the cones or races to be pitted.

there should be some wrenching flats for cone wrenches on the axle, OR you might find a 5mm allen fitting in the axle end bells where the QR goes thru.

see pic

/markp

Old 05-24-23, 03:42 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I hope this is a different video; in any event, it seems to explain the freehub removal procedure pretty clearly. The person doing the work says that an 11-mm Allen wrench is needed (not the 10 or 12 that you mentioned).