Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 05-05-21, 09:01 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I watched your video and liked it. Phew. However, the .8 mph difference seems too much although the regular helmet in the vid looks slow and depending on your head position could be more of a factor.

I would suggest using a velodrome or a road route that is similar to a track. The way to get good data is to make several loops of a short course where there is head, cross and tail wind at constant power. Then pick the best run to determine a speed or calculate a CdA. Then do another set of laps with the competing piece of equipment and pick the best run. I think this will yield better results and more accurate comparisons. Long courses and time intervals allow too many variables to change including Rho.

Or just use the Chung coast down method. Once again, make several runs with each piece of equipment.
Yeah, I'll be putting these in some more head to head tests because I'm truly curious. But even if the difference isn't that big, I should probably go with the Lazer if I want those marginal gains! I'm aiming to do a 5hr century, probably on June 13, so I'll definitely wear it for that. My time last year was 5:14 using my kask helmet at 19mph, so if the Lazer can get me a bit closer, I'll take it! I'll also shave my forest level leg hair, I'm sure that'll be a nice bonus too lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-05-21, 09:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Last night I tried some Beyond Meat. The reason is that I want to reduce the amount of meat I each each week (less environmental impact) and increase variety. I am allergic to seafood so I am stuck with the other available meat.

Well, the Beyond Meat scores somewhere between cardboard and sawdust with refined Crisco added and compressed into a burger and Soylent Green. BTW, the movie plot of Soylent Green was to take place in 2022. We got there a couple of years early.

Maybe I overcooked it. I will try again. I guess with enough seasoning and Heine’s 57 Variety, anything can be made to taste good.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-05-21, 09:06 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
That's really interesting. Which did you get? We've had their bratwursts and spicy italian sausages and thought they were pretty good.
Old 05-05-21, 09:20 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Flatballer
That's really interesting. Which did you get? We've had their bratwursts and spicy italian sausages and thought they were pretty good.
I got the plain ground meat equivalent and cooked it on the grill. I saw the bratwursts and sausages but chose the other. Maybe I have to try the other choices. What would be interesting is to get a sweet Italian saugage that is plant based that tastes good and has a good consistency that I could use in making Risotto versus regular pork sausage.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-05-21, 09:29 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

And I would eat Soylent Green if I thought it made me faster.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-05-21, 09:38 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I got the plain ground meat equivalent and cooked it on the grill. I saw the bratwursts and sausages but chose the other. Maybe I have to try the other choices. What would be interesting is to get a sweet Italian saugage that is plant based that tastes good and has a good consistency that I could use in making Risotto versus regular pork sausage.
Yeah, give the sausages a try and see what you think. I can't remember if we tried the ground one or not. I've heard you need so spice the absolute heck out of it to make the plain stuff good.

And the spicy isn't that spicy, it's pretty mild still, but just good.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 05-05-21, 09:56 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
My son is a vegan and his top choice is Beyond Meat bratwurst for sausages, and Impossible Burgers for a burger substitute. I've tried many of them and in my opinion the options that don't try as hard to impersonate meat are better. I like black bean 'burgers' (my son makes these from scratch), and there is one artichoke based patty that is pretty good, but I don't recall the brand.

For reduction in environmental impact the best first step is to reduce beef and lamb consumption. Replacing two beef meals with chicken likely has more environmental impact than replacing one beef meal with a vegan product. I always also note that the packaging on vegan meat substitutes is outrageous. A ton of packaging for two small patties for a product trying to be environmentally conscious. I also question the health benefits of these products given how highly processed they are, but for most Americans, they are probably better than meat.

Enjoy!
Likes For cmh:
Old 05-05-21, 11:19 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I’m a food snob and a vegetarian. While I typically avoid the fake meats I have had some awesome dishes with it. Like most food, prep and knowing what to do with it is what matters most.

Last edited by gsteinb; 05-06-21 at 05:41 PM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-05-21, 11:55 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I really enjoy the soy-based "meat" that Chipotle makes as well as some of the black bean and chickpea burgers I find in the freezer section. I wouldn't mind just having some meals with a protein that doesn't have to replicate meat, but I'm not that creative a cook (most of my cooking would probably be something you'd find in a midwestern kitchen in the 1960's). I keep trying to introduce more chicken into our diets, but my kids try to revolt if we have (non-nugget) chicken more than once or twice a week.
Old 05-05-21, 12:47 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've made an effort this year to cut back my red meat consumption. So far, it's gone well. I've even started adding full vegetarian meals into the mix.

Part of my problem is that I am a lazy cook - I really don't like doing it - so I tend to lean toward things that do not take much effort to cook/prepare.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-05-21, 03:19 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've made an effort this year to cut back my red meat consumption. So far, it's gone well. I've even started adding full vegetarian meals into the mix.

Part of my problem is that I am a lazy cook - I really don't like doing it - so I tend to lean toward things that do not take much effort to cook/prepare.
Totally me. Especially since, as a result of changing child issues during the pandemic, I go to work early and come home early and so am the one cooking every night. Got burned out with the trying to do something creative.
Old 05-05-21, 03:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Oh, boy. It was my birthday this week and I requested T-bones.

NO RAGRETS
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-05-21, 05:27 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

I just like to cut things. I'm more into getting my blades sharp then looking for things to cut. Taro root is fun. Meats are more fun. I'll try different blades on different stuff. Then different thicknesses. I can spend an hour just playing with thicknesses and best knife/food pair. Same compulsive personality in cycling wheels.
Old 05-05-21, 07:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by caloso
Oh, boy. It was my birthday this week and I requested T-bones.

NO RAGRETS
It is hard to beat a great steak from Midwest grain fed cattle. And Argentinian beef is also very good.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-06-21, 09:19 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Doge I also have a Global and a pair of whetstones. I do most of the cooking around here, also because I enjoy chopping things.

Re: Beyond Meat, I like their burgers and sausages when I'm craving foods I used to enjoy regularly. Vegan for almost 4 years now. Started out for the environment and health but came around on the moral aspects of it pretty quickly too. My thing lately is pizzas. There's a place here called Donna Jean, all plant based but they use such good ingredients and have amazing dough such that I don't really miss the cheese. I was also baking my own and throwing a bunch of random stuff on, veggie sausage, brocolli, nutritional yeast, Carolina gold BBQ sauce. But our kitchen remodel is now on month 3 so it has been a while....
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-06-21, 09:20 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love a great steak or burger. I'm just trying to cut back the amount of red meat I eat. I have two small beef tenderloins in the freezer I plan to cook in the coming weeks.

But I can grill up a few chicken breasts early in the week, then toss them into the fridge and mix them in to a variety of things, from salads to pasta to fajitas, with relatively little effort on my part.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-06-21, 05:41 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Doge I also have a Global and a pair of whetstones. I do most of the cooking around here, also because I enjoy chopping things.
I don't think I have the sharpening thing figured out. I might get some DMT steels or stones. My expectations are high and I like them a lot sharper than needed.
From a slicing session:

Here are some of my Global/s I have a cleaver and long slicer I keep in the drawer.

In CO

San Clemente. The big forged cooks knife - I take it with me. That thing is sharp.
Likes For Doge:
Old 05-06-21, 10:39 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,568 Posts
I certainly enjoy grilling steak, pair with roasted vegetables and a full bodied red, and I'm set. Maybe a salad too.

Like many, I make a point of eating vegetarian/vegan for some meals to reduce the impact, and also just be generally healthier. I'm also not into the faux meats so much, but I'll def. eat a simple impossible/beyond burger patty. I like some of the veggie and bean based patties vs. the faux meat. I once made some patties with a bunch root vegetables, some egg and some grain to make it stick together.
Old 05-07-21, 10:29 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I don't think I have the sharpening thing figured out. I might get some DMT steels or stones. My expectations are high and I like them a lot sharper than needed.
From a slicing session:

Here are some of my Global/s I have a cleaver and long slicer I keep in the drawer.

In CO

San Clemente. The big forged cooks knife - I take it with me. That thing is sharp.
I've just got the one - Global knife (just the basic 8" chef's) and residence.

The whetstone was pretty easy to get the hang of - I used this video
to learn. I used a couple of cheaper knives first and used a sharpie on the edge to make sure I was making contact with the right place. They came out about as sharp as the Global arrived, which is pretty sharp. My test is usually soft tomatoes, if I can slice those easily without having to move the blade back and forth then I'm in good shape. Or the skin side of bell peppers, though they've got a little less give.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-11-21, 03:07 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Today was the day every modern cyclist dreads; swapping out tubeless tires.

I only had to replace the rear (which was triggering because it was a different brand and now my tires don't match) and amazingly, it only took 20 minutes. I only put in about an tablespoon or 2 of sealant in there, not sure if that's enough.

This thing is a godsend, made it soo much easier.
Old 05-11-21, 05:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
Today was the day every modern cyclist dreads; swapping out tubeless tires.

I only had to replace the rear (which was triggering because it was a different brand and now my tires don't match) and amazingly, it only took 20 minutes. I only put in about an tablespoon or 2 of sealant in there, not sure if that's enough.

My friend carries a bead jack on rides now. I've helped him with flats and the Dura Ace wheels are tough to get the tire back on. The tool helps a lot.
Old 05-12-21, 10:48 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
We're lucky to have two local companies making tempeh. One of them even does some exotic flavors, like black eyed peas. If you're looking for a meat alternative, tempeh may be worth trying.

https://artomorotempeh.com/
https://www.tempehshop.com/

In the event you want to make tempeh yourself, Jose at the Tempeh Shop (second link) will send you instructions on making tempeh if you're outside of his shipping area.
Old 05-12-21, 01:38 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
From a slicing session:

Not as much fun, but a cheap mandoline can make perfect thin slices really fast. Could have had a whole plate of chips!
Old 05-12-21, 01:54 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

But can it make chips?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 05-12-21, 06:00 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Not as much fun, but a cheap mandoline can make perfect thin slices really fast. Could have had a whole plate of chips!
For me - it is the cutting, I just have to eat my work - A problem, I know.
Then I also don't know how thick I like them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.