Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Home built xtracycle...

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Home built xtracycle...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-11, 10:57 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sixty fiver,

I thought about that as well. I'm not going to have the shock be real loose. If it doesn't work I'll just get another rear end. This one comes with a decent disk brake which I have never tried. I also figured I could use a seatpost mounted rack with a sturdy steel girder for the front of the rack and then mount a BlackBurn to that. If the rack needs to flex a little, it can because of the spring steel mounts. So it will have a bit of a hinge in the mid section. Yeah I hear you though I don't want to hear creaks and squeaks, but so far this looks okay, everything lines up perfectly.
Old 10-13-11, 04:00 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
Donor triangle attachment

A couple of basic questions - I think i know the answers but want to be sure.

1) The attachment point of the donor rear triangle in the rear dropouts of the bike to be extended:

Am I right in thinking that you can do this by leaving the bottom bracket in the donor rear triangle, and swapping the crank arm attachment bolts for (much) longer ones of the same thread, and filling the excess space between dropout and triangle with washers? Or is there a better way? Maybe just using one long bolt, removing the BB on the donor triangle... but then what do you use to centre the long bolt in the donor triangle BB shell?

2) My proposed bike to be extended does not have a kickstand bridge between the chainstays, but a small bridge for mudguard attachment with the hole going front to back. Would this be robust enough for the bracing strut to be attached. Would I have to use a slight smaller diameter strut with maybe a thicker gauge?

Thanks in advance and apologies if the questions are completely idiotic.
Old 10-14-11, 06:18 AM
69tr6r

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Barchettaman, that's exactly what I did with my home built. Use the BB spindle from the donor, some bolts and I used spacers instead of washers, but I'm sure the washers would work too.

I also did not have a kickstand bracket on the main frame so I used a handrail fitting that I found in an industrial catalog, like McMaster Carr, and I attached it to the seat post tube and used an aluminum pipe to attach to the donor shock mount. See the pictures. These were taken a while ago, didn't have the rear brakes hooked up at this point. I've since added the brakes and an electric front hub motor kit. The bike has been a ton of fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010067 (Small)..JPG (54.4 KB, 246 views)
P1010064 (Small)..JPG (62.8 KB, 274 views)
P1010065 (Small)..JPG (57.6 KB, 239 views)
P1010066 (Small)..JPG (59.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 10-14-11, 12:21 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Whew...

Got to re-read this thread for the bazillionth time a I went through it and restored images that were lost in the crash... could not get them all restored but got most of the good ones.

Stretch and I are going to go and teach a class on winter cycling today... the sun is shining and as he is not wearing studded tyres (yet) it will be nicer than taking the new ice bike and I have a lot of stuff to bring with me.
Old 10-14-11, 11:09 PM
hopperja

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
With all the ingenuity on this forum, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a good long-tail attachment that will fit seamlessly on an Adam's trail-a-bike. Imagine a bike that would be a regular bike when you want it and easily convert to a long-tail when needed. With all the trail-a-bikes out there, I'm sure there's a market for this...
Old 10-15-11, 12:21 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by hopperja
With all the ingenuity on this forum, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a good long-tail attachment that will fit seamlessly on an Adam's trail-a-bike. Imagine a bike that would be a regular bike when you want it and easily convert to a long-tail when needed. With all the trail-a-bikes out there, I'm sure there's a market for this...
We offer an expedition tandem that converts to a trail a bike, a single longtail tourer, and a triplet... cost is a mere $15,000 Cdn

A few shots from this afternoon... winter cycling class went well and it felt like winter on the ride home so it was nice I had packed extra gear as it was nice enough to ride in shorts this afternoon.

Rocking some 2.1 Kenda Komodo tyres and am quite impressed at how well they roll out on the street and am looking forward to seeing how they roll out in the snow.

Old 10-15-11, 06:55 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 69 Posts
69tr6r, that´s exactly the solution I was looking for. Back to the hardware shop for a ´Clamp-on Tee´ handrail fitting!
At some point I will be looking for an electric assist on the front wheel too but we´ll see first if Mrs Barchetta is happy to ride it without one.
Thanks all for their contributions on this thread, it´s a cracking read and has inspired me to get cracking with our Frankfurter XtraFahrrad!
Old 10-15-11, 07:24 AM
Philphine

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by hopperja
again, a non serious thing for me, but i've thought about adding a trail a bike to this

i don't have a kid to worry about it though, so it's even less serious than the rest of the project

a tandem cruiser idea i've been fighting with. i'm using a 20" fork for a luggage rack an left part of the steerer tube on it. i'm thinking i can modify a few old goose necks and use them for attatchments. like one with a skewer for towing bikes, a one wheel trailer i'm thinking about (from a kick scooter), or a trail a bike. truthfully, i wasn't thinking about the trail a bike as a long tail extension, but...
Old 12-13-11, 10:46 AM
g00se

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to build a cargo bike based on the examples here. But I was wondering, where the rear swing-arm attaches to the rear drop-outs of the main donor frame, is it best to use a frame where the dropouts are horizontal - or would a more modern vertical dropout suffice? I'm worried that vertical dropouts would allow the joint to fall out under load?

This sort of drop-out:

Not that frame in particular- obviously
Old 12-18-11, 02:43 PM
LucianTheOne

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my second home build xtracycle. Rest of the photos HERE.

Old 12-18-11, 02:53 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by g00se
Hi,

I'm looking to build a cargo bike based on the examples here. But I was wondering, where the rear swing-arm attaches to the rear drop-outs of the main donor frame, is it best to use a frame where the dropouts are horizontal - or would a more modern vertical dropout suffice? I'm worried that vertical dropouts would allow the joint to fall out under load?

This sort of drop-out:

Not that frame in particular- obviously
Vertical dropouts will be fine.
Old 12-26-11, 03:47 PM
vazcko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, nice job. i need something like that!
Old 01-14-12, 01:05 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Stretch's first ride of 2012... no need for studs yet.

Old 01-24-12, 06:21 PM
artur elias

Bikes: M5 recumbent, long tail converted specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to express my gratitude to each and every person who contributed to this thread. The building of my first cargo bike would have been a lot more difficult without you!

I'd like to express my gratitude, too,
to Ross Evans and all those who developed the xtracycle concept in the first place. A simple idea that makes a big difference.

After I built a second and better one, I to ad a link to this chain.

It took quite a while, but it's done.

I've put a tutorial online on how to build a long tail cargo bike, including pictures on every detail I could think of. Text is Portuguese (my mother tongue) beacause it is aimed to Brazilians and other Portuguese speaking people (in Europe and in Africa). Spanish speakers will be able to understand almost every thing without a sweat.

https://pespracima.blogspot.com/2011/...sso-passo.html

all the best

a.
Attached Images
IMG_1769.jpg (62.4 KB, 291 views)
Old 02-02-12, 10:38 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't posted an update of Fugsley in a long time.
Dahon folding bike with Harley Davidson tires and OCC STingray frame parts and a water ski rack thrown in.
You can see the entire build diary on Rat Rod Bikes here
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/vie...p?f=21&t=44315

Here is the frame with no tires.

And with tires

Old 02-04-12, 11:11 PM
Bicycletrain

Bikes: Marin, Kidarooz, Trek rocket and 247

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet.
I made one this week end, $35 for the two bikes. I still need to connect the gear/brake cable and put on a second rack.

The rear screw holes for the rack to connect are larger than the rack holes I have. Are these standard, or do they come in different sizes? It is the back from a big box store full suspension bike.

Old 02-05-12, 04:02 PM
kingfish254

Bikes: 1989 Dahon Stainless Classic III Folder - 1990 Dahon Mariner Classic III Folder - 2005 Dahon Jetstream P8 Full Suspension Folder

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Here is a video of me riding Fugsley (my monster folding beach bike).
https://youtu.be/XTVrW-D-Vak
Old 02-05-12, 04:37 PM
Bicycletrain

Bikes: Marin, Kidarooz, Trek rocket and 247

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kingfish254
Here is a video of me riding Fugsley (my monster folding beach bike).
https://youtu.be/XTVrW-D-Vak
Looks like your having fun! Great build.
Old 02-06-12, 09:22 AM
troysmith80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, that thing is like a monster truck! I had no idea how tall it was in the pictures without a person there for reference. HOw does it do in the sand?
Old 02-06-12, 12:03 PM
kingfish254

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by troysmith80
Nice, that thing is like a monster truck! I had no idea how tall it was in the pictures without a person there for reference. HOw does it do in the sand?
Thanks. You really do need a person on it to see the scale of the bike. I still haven't taken it down the the beach yet. This thing is a beast. I am guessing it weighs close to 60 pounds.
Old 06-29-12, 11:39 AM
Starr_ga72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, Gene here just joined and I really like all the posts, Here is what I have done to my bike.
Attached Images
_MG_0030.jpg (101.6 KB, 394 views)
_MG_0035.jpg (101.7 KB, 421 views)
_MG_0046.jpg (100.0 KB, 499 views)
Old 06-29-12, 11:49 AM
Starr_ga72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, Do you enter it in to shows?
Old 07-02-12, 07:50 AM
troysmith80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starr_ga72 : At first glance your bike looked a lot like many of the others here and i didn't pay a ton of attention. But then i looked more closely and noticed the rack structure. It is very interesting, what did you build it from, and how is it put together? Is it welded, bolted, brazed? Was it salvaged from some other assembly?

Do you have pictures of the build process?

Anyway, it looks like a good setup, nice work!
Old 07-07-12, 07:51 PM
MountainMommaC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plans for the Ghana version?

Originally Posted by Johnny Payphone
In 2003 I went to Ghana, Africa, to establish a school for cargo bike design. My first step was to build and test each kind of cargo bike that I could think of, about 25 in all. Then after testing them in the bush we found that the xtra-cycle style could maximize load given the single-track jungle terrain. So now the school makes them for the government, which is trying to aid farmers in getting Ghana's rich natural resources to market:

Are there plans available for this version anywhere? It looks GREAT, and if the gov. is mass ordering them, I bet most of the bugs have already been worked out...

Thanks!
Old 08-28-12, 08:48 AM
zBret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Build

Hi all new member here, I enjoy reading the forum and drawing ideas from those who have posted, so thank you for posting!

This is my first build
Made primarily from two 26" mountain bikes and some pieces from a old minibike.
It consists of five sub-assemblies
Front Frame, Center Seat Section, Rear Frame, the Rack and the Wide-Loaders.
The sub-assemblies are then bolted together to form the bike.
I am running a 700c front wheel on a modified 26" ridged fork with a 250w
electric hub motor at 24v
The bags are homemade as well
-zBret

Last edited by zBret; 08-28-12 at 04:07 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.