Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frame to Accomodate 700c X 43 Tires?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 09:20 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts

I'd like to put together a town bike, but the nearest town of any size is 9 miles away. The most enjoyable routes to town are a combination of paved roads and dirt trails. The Bruce Gordon Rock 'N' Road tires, at 700c X 43, seem like just the ticket for towing a Bob trailer into town for groceries. Any suggestions for a vintage bike that will accept those tires? It will pretty much have to have cantilever brakes or v-brakes to allow easy removal and installation of the inflated tire.

I don't know enough about the various touring frames like the Nishiki Cresta, Specialized Expedition, Schwinn Voyageur, Raleigh Portage, etc. to know whether they will work.

Thanks,
Brent
Old 12-13-13, 09:23 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
More than a few old vintage touring type bikes do not take very fat tires. For the kind of commute you're looking to do, I'd pick up a vintage mtb with a rigid fork. There out there. They don't tend to cost much esp. compared to vintage road bikes esp. touring bikes. And they're very versatile. You can set them up with drops or with trekking bars and have a killer town bike. Go 26 x 1.5 or fatter; you'll be happy that you did.
Old 12-13-13, 09:29 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
My miyata 1000 might take 700x43 tires but I dunno if there would be any room left over for fenders... and there might be rub, depending. I imagine some of the early hybrids could take those size tires too. Most of the hybrids in the late 80s and early 90s had canti posts but some are spaced at 65mm so they don't place nicely (or at all) with modern cantilever brakes.
Old 12-13-13, 09:39 PM
Wheels Of Steel
1, 2, 3 and to the 4X

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Accommodates 700x47s:

https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/saga
Old 12-13-13, 09:44 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by bikemig
More than a few old vintage touring type bikes do not take very fat tires. For the kind of commute you're looking to do, I'd pick up a vintage mtb with a rigid fork. There out there. They don't tend to cost much esp. compared to vintage road bikes esp. touring bikes. And they're very versatile. You can set them up with drops or with trekking bars and have a killer town bike. Go 26 x 1.5 or fatter; you'll be happy that you did.
Thanks bikemig. I considered an mtb but would rather avoid going that route if I can. 2 reasons:
1. I really prefer drop bars for anything except technical mountain biking. MTB frames tend to have longer top tubes so by the time you add drop bars your reach to the drops is pretty long. This works great for folks with long torsos but I'm exactly the opposite, long legs, short torso. (Imagine a reverse dachshund!)
2. The list of appropriate 26" tires with a semi-knobby tread in a 1.5 to 1.75 width is short and getting shorter every day.

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 09:47 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Most Rivendell's will fit that without fenders. Most of the older road/touring frame won't take a tire that large. Tires that size were pretty much relegated to mountain bikes.
Old 12-13-13, 09:48 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by clasher
My miyata 1000 might take 700x43 tires but I dunno if there would be any room left over for fenders... and there might be rub, depending. I imagine some of the early hybrids could take those size tires too. Most of the hybrids in the late 80s and early 90s had canti posts but some are spaced at 65mm so they don't place nicely (or at all) with modern cantilever brakes.
clasher, thanks for the info about the Miyata 1000. Fenders don't matter to me so maybe that bike is a candidate. If you could measure for me when you get the chance I would appreciate it. I think that the distance from the dropout to the chainstay bridge may be a critical one.

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 09:51 PM
obrentharris 

Wheels of Steel, fender 1,

Thank you both for the recommendations for newer frames that will do what I want them to do. I know Bruce Gordon and Black Mountain Cycles (both local to me) and quite a few other companies are now making exactly what I am looking for: I was just hoping to find something vintage that would work. Maybe this is a wild goose chase, but I figure if anyone knows, it will be the members of this forum.

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 10:00 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I really don't think you need a 43c tire for dirt roads - any thing over 28c can handle that just fine.
Old 12-13-13, 10:05 PM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Not vintage, but if you're inclined to consider more or less classic-styled steel, the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame would be just brilliant for your purposes.

Basic steel frame with long-ish chainstays, cantis, and clearance for 700x50, or very easily for those Bruce Gordons and fenders.

They're in your neck of the woods, too...just north of the Bay Area at Point Reyes station. There was a guy selling a used f/f/hs on the Paceline recently as well (62cm).

I was researching a 'cross/gravel bike purchase recently, and would've picked that one up if it has a TT a bit under the 60cm it stands at.

Probably more money that you're looking to throw at a grocery-getter, and not really a proper answer to your question, but thought I'd throw that out there. Well-reviewed by owners, and looks like a great all-arounder.

I feel like a lot of the vintage Japanese touring frames would be a stretch to squeeze in those Bruce Gordons (even w/o fenders).

EDIT: Nevermind, I see this conversation moved well along while I went to answer the door with the 'reply' window open! Excuse the irrelevance.
Old 12-13-13, 10:06 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
I really don't think you need a 43c tire for dirt roads - any thing over 28c can handle that just fine.
I agree with you Aaron. I ride Challenge Grifos on my Motobecane and I can ride all day on good dirt roads with it. But its not so fun on the rocky trails near my house, especially with a trailer.
Brent
Old 12-13-13, 10:11 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by mikemowbz
Not vintage, but if you're inclined to consider more or less classic-styled steel, the Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame would be just brilliant for your purposes.
Funny you should mention that Mike! Black Mountain Cycles is about 15 miles from my house. I was in there recently salivating over exactly that frame, but I am hoping to spend a bit less.

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 10:17 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher

My '90s hybrid frame has a lot of clearance with 700x37, probably would take 43 with fenders too. The front fender looks close, but that's because of the front rack.
Old 12-13-13, 10:23 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by Reynolds
My '90s hybrid frame has a lot of clearance with 700x37, probably would take 43 with fenders too. The front fender looks close, but that's because of the front rack.
Thanks Reynolds. Do you know who made the frame? Clasher (above) also suggested looking into hybrids. Am I safe in assuming that most bikes marketed as hybrids have similar tire clearance?

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 10:29 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I agree with you Aaron. I ride Challenge Grifos on my Motobecane and I can ride all day on good dirt roads with it. But its not so fun on the rocky trails near my house, especially with a trailer.
Brent
Gotcha...I can't think of any vintage bike I've had that would take a 43c tire, and that includes my Koga, which is very similar to a Miyata 1000 (if anything it has wider clearance). Maybe a 650b conversion would get a bit more clearance? Might be tricky with cantis.
Old 12-13-13, 10:34 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 1992 Bridgestone XO-3 and the '93/'94 XO-5's came with 700x38's with clearance for fenders, and the catalog picture seems to indicate you could go much larger. Further, you should be able to locate either one for relatively reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
41.jpg (103.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 12-13-13, 10:42 PM
obrentharris 

I just spent a few minutes looking at hybrids on Craigslist and noticed that, by definition, they have upright bars. So I looked up the top tube lengths for a couple of new hybrids (Trek and Cannondale) and discovered that the top tube to seat tube length ratio is similar to mtb's, probably won't work for me with drop bars.

Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
The 1992 Bridgestone XO-3 and the '93/'94 XO-5's came with 700x38's with clearance for fenders, and the catalog picture seems to indicate you could go much larger. Further, you should be able to locate either one for relatively reasonable price.
Thanks Sizzle-Chest. I'll definitely look into these!

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 10:42 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Thanks Reynolds. Do you know who made the frame? Clasher (above) also suggested looking into hybrids. Am I safe in assuming that most bikes marketed as hybrids have similar tire clearance?

Brent
I don't know the brand, bought it used and repainted. Looked for help here for ID: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-ID?highlight=
Expert T-Mar said it was probably entry level, '89 or '90.
Old 12-13-13, 11:01 PM
lord_athlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A Raleigh super course would easily.

My 90 crosscut hybrid has 37's on it now with an inch to spare

Last edited by lord_athlon; 12-13-13 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 11:03 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
Would it be simpler to consider a 650b conversion, and use something like the Panaracer Col de Vie (650b x 38)?

Here's an old thread about frames suitable for such a move.
Old 12-13-13, 11:07 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
I go wide in deep, fresh gravel.

Also in sand.

If I know I will run into a section of sand, like along the river bottoms here, I let some air out for a little float.

Easy to pump up afterwards.

Casey has my Merckx right now and we are going to investigate whether Bruce Gordon's tires will fit in the stays.

If not, I'll likely go with Challenge Chicanes.

I just thought of this, but my Bruce Gordon could fit some really wide rubber as well.

Maybe not 700X40+, but just about anything else.

Last edited by gomango; 12-13-13 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-13-13, 11:23 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by CO_Hoya
Would it be simpler to consider a 650b conversion, and use something like the Panaracer Col de Vie (650b x 38)?

Here's an old thread about frames suitable for such a move.
I like that idea (other than the fact that I already own a couple pairs of perfectly serviceable 700c wheels and would have to buy new rims and spokes at a minimum), but what brakes would I use that would accommodate both the longer reach and the increased tire width? Cantilever bosses would be in the wrong place for the 650b rims and I don't know of a center-pull or side-pull that will open wide enough to allow a fully inflated 38mm tire to pass through. Suggestions?

Brent
Old 12-13-13, 11:25 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
My '92 Trek 520 has Ritchey 700x42 knobbies on right now, and there's plenty of room to spare.
Old 12-13-13, 11:26 PM
CO_Hoya 
Señor Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 296 Times in 149 Posts
Tektro R559s are often recommended, there are others.

I have a pair lurking somewhere out in the shed, hoping to be re-used for such a conversion.
Old 12-13-13, 11:29 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by gomango
I just thought of this, but my Bruce Gordon could fit some really wide rubber as well.

Maybe not 700X40+, but just about anything else.
I know the newer Bruce Gordon Rock 'n' Road bikes will accommodate the Rock 'n' Road tire and I have a sneaking suspicion your older frame will also. That would probably be my favorite solution, to find a used rock 'n' Road frame in a 58 to 59 cm at a reasonable price. I've been looking but they are few and far between. Patience is not one of my strong suits when I have a project in mind!
Brent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.