Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chipped Carbon Fork: Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 08:16 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I won a frameset on ebay from a large, reputable seller, but it arrived yesterday with a large chip in the carbon fork that was not disclosed nor shown in any photos. I'm currently working with the seller to figure out a solution but I wanted to get some impressions from you all how serious the damage looks. So, if you have any thoughts, I would appreciate hearing them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo-16.jpg (93.1 KB, 64 views)
photo-16.jpg (95.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Sizzle-Chest; 03-05-15 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 08:20 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Doesn't appear to be a structural problem, IMO, but the seller should have revealed it.
Old 03-05-15, 08:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,420 Posts
It looks 100% cosmetic, removing filler, but not any structural CF. So it calls for touch up and sealing. Easy fix. Now it's up to you and the seller to agree on what this is worth.

If the deal was only so-so, you might want to holdout for a discount. OTOH, if the deal was very good, it still is, so if you're offered an apology and enough to buy a coupla beers take it and call it a day.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 03-05-15, 08:28 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It looks 100% cosmetic, removing filler, but not any structural CF. So it calls for touch up and sealing. Easy fix. Now it's up to you and the seller to agree on what this is worth.
Thanks for the info! So, is the filler the white stuff I'm seeing and what's its purpose?

Also, I tried the tap test and there is a different sound directly on the damaged spot, but it seems related to the fact the surface is different, everywhere around it sounds the same.

Last edited by Sizzle-Chest; 03-05-15 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 08:56 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Sizzle-Chest
Thanks for the info! So, is the filler the white stuff I'm seeing and what's its purpose?

Also, I tried the tap test and there is a different sound directly on the damaged spot, but it seems related to the fact the surface is different, everywhere around it sounds the same.
The white stuff is filler, and it's purpose is just what the name implies. To make a smooth surface in the area where the tube transitions to the soled fork end. This is a difficult area to get perfect, or cosmetically acceptable, so filler finishes the job.

I'm not a believer in the sound test, but it wouldn't work there anyway because of the change from tube to solid plug.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 03-05-15, 09:12 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY

I'm not a believer in the sound test, but it wouldn't work there anyway because of the change from tube to solid plug.
Thanks again for the info, one more question, do you know if most all forks use a solid insert at the end?
Old 03-05-15, 09:28 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
The solid insert is the drop out. So yes, most all forks use one.

To my eyes it looks like something got pushed up against the fork blade end and crushed the cosmetic coat. Did the fork have a block between the ends during shipping? I can see a situation where the fork wasn't damaged prior to packing but got so during shipping. Andy.
Old 03-05-15, 09:39 PM
FBinNY 

Thanks again for the info, one more question, do you know if most all forks use a solid insert at the end?
There may be differences in the details of construction, but the basics are the same. You have a tube that ends in a solid dropout. At some point there has to be a transition.

Old 03-05-15, 10:11 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The solid insert is the drop out. So yes, most all forks use one.

To my eyes it looks like something got pushed up against the fork blade end and crushed the cosmetic coat. Did the fork have a block between the ends during shipping? I can see a situation where the fork wasn't damaged prior to packing but got so during shipping. Andy.
Yes, the fork did have a plastic spacer in the drop-outs, and I'm actually certain the damage occurred prior to shipping as the chip is just barely visible as a small white mark in one of the side profile photos of the frame, which I only recognized after I received the frameset and went back to look over the photos.

I'm glad to hear you all feel it's cosmetic. That was my thought as well, but to be honest I have a tendency to use parts that should probably be retired, so I really wanted to hear if I was being reasonable.
Old 03-05-15, 10:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Yes, the fork did have a plastic spacer in the drop-outs, and I'm actually certain the damage occurred prior to shipping as the chip is just barely visible as a small white mark in one of the side profile photos of the frame, which I only recognized after I received the frameset and went back to look over the photos.

I'm glad to hear you all feel it's cosmetic. That was my thought as well, but to be honest I have a tendency to use parts that should probably be retired, so I really wanted to hear if I was being reasonable.
So the seller's "mistake' wasn't stating in text the damage?

Any way about it I'd just touch up the area with either simple enamel paint or an epoxy (ideally a black colored one), depending on the depth of the chips. Andy.
Old 03-05-15, 11:35 PM
Sizzle-Chest
The Brutally Handsome

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
So the seller's "mistake' wasn't stating in text the damage?
The seller's mistake was not adequately disclosing the damage. Out of 27 photos in the listing, only one showed exactly this much of the damage, and that's after I cropped out the rest of the frame. Neither was it mentioned in the listing, though it does state "no major scratches".
Attached Images
fork.jpg (10.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-06-15, 09:00 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The seller's mistake was not adequately disclosing the damage. Out of 27 photos in the listing, only one showed exactly this much of the damage, and that's after I cropped out the rest of the frame. Neither was it mentioned in the listing, though it does state "no major scratches".
I wouldn't sweat it. Mention it and see if he will work with you a little but once the wheel is on you won't even know its there.