Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel building book.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel building book.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 04:44 PM
Russ498

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel building book.

I’m looking for recommendations for a good book on wheel building and maintenance. I don’t care if it covers all maintenance as long it has a comprehensive section on wheels. Many thanks
Old 06-03-19, 04:59 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The classic in the field is Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel", first published in 1981. I believe it it out of print but easily available through used book sellers and Amazon.

This is a highly detailed and theoretical treatment of bicycle wheel design and function. Some of his claims are a bit controversial but still very thought provoking. There is a lot of practical, hands-on info also.

The book is obviously dated and, of course, says nothing about carbon rims and other material and design changes since it was written. Still, well worth the time.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 06-03-19, 05:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I started here-
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

I bought Brandt's book, but had trouble wrapping my brain around some parts.
OTH, I have mild Asperger's, but I thought that would help wrap my....

How do you define "maintenance"?
If you are talking hubs/bearings, just Google "bicycle hub maintenance".
It's not the same as "wheel building".
Old 06-03-19, 06:55 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
I have never used anything other than the few pages dedicated to wheel building in Effective Cycling.
Old 06-03-19, 10:17 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Plus one on Brandt's book. Also, Sheldon Browne has an excellent how-to at his site. I just rebuilt my rear wheel after 30-plus years. Couldn't find my copy of the book but the on-line info from Browne got me through it with flying colors!
Jon
Old 06-04-19, 05:52 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
This is the book I learned (and am still learning) from - Most excellent, for a $12 download :

https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Musson's book covers everything, in an easily understood fashion - I actually printed it out, and keep it in a ring binder on my workbench
Likes For mixteup:
Old 06-04-19, 09:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
On my bookshelf is "building bicycle wheels" by Robert Wright, copyright 1977, cost: $ 1.95 BITD..
Old 06-04-19, 10:57 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
The classic in the field is Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel", first published in 1981. I believe it it out of print but easily available through used book sellers and Amazon.

This is a highly detailed and theoretical treatment of bicycle wheel design and function. Some of his claims are a bit controversial but still very thought provoking. There is a lot of practical, hands-on info also.

The book is obviously dated and, of course, says nothing about carbon rims and other material and design changes since it was written. Still, well worth the time.
My copy of Jobst's book is well worn. I refer to it on all of my wheel builds. I recommend it highly.
Old 06-04-19, 11:31 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
Musson's book covers everything, in an easily understood fashion - I actually printed it out, and keep it in a ring binder on my workbench
+1 on Musson’s book. I have both it and Jobst Brandt’s, and I found Musson’s more useful as a stepwise set of instructions for how to build a set of wheels. They’re both good books and complement each other, but if I had to pick only one to learn how to build wheels, it would be the Musson’s book.
Likes For ted_major:
Old 06-05-19, 04:35 AM
co_rouleur

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I went one step further and got an instructional DVD that takes you step by step through the entire process of building a 3 cross rear wheel for a road bike from scratch. It also has information for variations like building for disc brakes or 2x spoke patterns, how to measure for ordering spokes, what tools you need and how to use them etc. The cost was small considering the skills you can learn from a Master Wheel Builder. I have since built several wheels very successfully and have greatly improved my truing skills along the way. Google 'billmouldwheels', if you cant find where to order the DVD, just email him. He has always been happy to answer any questions.
Old 08-16-20, 05:43 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark_K
And please advise a good book for self-development?
it's called life, can't recommend it highly enough
I've read three books about wheel building, begin with robert wright's as an easy intro, then read jobst brandts' for some theory and musson's for detailed and well explained instructions.
The best advice you will find however is in these forums' brains
Old 08-16-20, 07:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
this book was strongly recommended to me: ART OF WHEELBUILDING: A BENCH REFERENCE FOR NEOPHYTES, PROS & WHEELAHOLICS, By Gerd Schraner.
the high price of the book has kept me from owning a physical copy. however, if you use your google-fu, you can find a downloadable pdf of it.
I have it on my Smart Cellular Telephone, it is freakin' great and cool to see some of the older tech. I would love a physical copy signed by old Gerdy himself but like you not going to pay money when I have it free on my phone with a few minor errors that are easy enough to correct for when reading (unless maybe you have a different ability that would cause reading issues)
Old 08-16-20, 07:58 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Brandt's book is pretty excellent. For individual topics, I really like some of the blog posts on https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/ .
Old 08-16-20, 08:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
On my bookshelf is "building bicycle wheels" by Robert Wright, copyright 1977, cost: $ 1.95 BITD..
"Building Bicycle Wheels" is an excellent book for one's first wheel. Robert Wright uses plain English, simple terms and does a good job of demystifying wheelbuilding. He is as straightforward in real life. Also an excellent wheelbuilder. (I say this in present tense. I knew him 40 years ago. He doesn't blow his own horn. I knew from others he built good wheels. Had no idea he'd published a book two years before.)
Old 08-17-20, 07:16 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by ted_major
+1 on Musson’s book. I have both it and Jobst Brandt’s, and I found Musson’s more useful as a stepwise set of instructions for how to build a set of wheels. They’re both good books and complement each other, but if I had to pick only one to learn how to build wheels, it would be the Musson’s book.
Exactly my thoughts.
Mussons to learn what to do and how, Brandt's book to learn/understand why it's done that way.
Old 08-17-20, 07:32 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Another vote for Musson's book, "Professional Guide to Wheelbuilding". I laid out the dough to buy a legit version of this. More modern than Jobst. Explains some things Jobst doesn't.

Jobst's book is also excellent. I had a hard copy and I think I lent it to my stepfather and he passed away so I can't find my copy.

Schraner's book "The Art of Wheelbuilding" is also very good. A bit idiosyncratic and counter to some modern wheelbuilding thought, though. Still (in 1999) he recommended tying and soldering on some wheels. Even for track bikes I think that this is now a discredited practice.

I do expect that the Secret Guild of Exalted Spoke Solderers to rise up en masse and will converge on my house with torches made from extra-long seat posts to visit their wrath upon me and my heathen untied spokes. Sigh.

Any of these books will teach you a lot. I'd start with Musson. A second (or alternate first) choice would be Jobst. Schraner's book is useful once you have the first two books under your belt. My 2 cents.
Old 08-17-20, 07:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Schraner's book "The Art of Wheelbuilding" is also very good. A bit idiosyncratic and counter to some modern wheelbuilding thought, though. Still (in 1999) he recommended tying and soldering on some wheels. Even for track bikes I think that this is now a discredited practice.

I do expect that the Secret Guild of Exalted Spoke Solderers to rise up en masse and will converge on my house with torches made from extra-long seat posts to visit their wrath upon me and my heathen untied spokes. Sigh.
When they arrive you can send them to my house too. In 1981 Brandt's book reported his measurements of tied and soldered wheels showed no significant change in tangential or lateral stability from untied spokes and he pretty much said it was a waste of time.
Old 08-17-20, 10:41 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
J have both the Brandt and Schraener books. I like the spoking method in Gerd's book. For hub maintenance you can use Park's site or the manufacturers.
Old 08-17-20, 04:09 PM
Wee man1

Bikes: Velosolex

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks for some good suggestions will book a few via the library.