Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is so much clothing dark colored.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-22, 01:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10414 Post(s)
Liked 11,875 Times in 6,082 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Why is so much clothing dark colored? Because we are all getting FAT!!!

Lets get back some color...

https://www.logolynx.com/topic/woodstock

Peace, Love, Music... And lets not forget... Superior Fire Power... Ha
Not me! I AM fat. I'm getting less so.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-22-22, 01:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
It is easy to find road cycling jerseys and windbreakers in high viz colors.

Unfortunately, I don’t like wearing road cycling jerseys or windbreakers.

The tops and jackets I prefer are usually crossovers from MTB, hiking, or running. I do find some hi viz running shirts (though few jackets) but almost everything for hiking and mountain biking are dark or drab. Granted I like wearing these colors, but not on a bike on the road..

Also, I would like some hi vis mtb stuff, because it is a good idea to wear it during hunting season.

Black shorts are fine for all the stated reasons.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-22-22, 01:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I really don't like day-glo colors, but I do like to be seen, so I tend toward red or bright blue in jerseys. I find that white tends to get those orange/brown stains over time. Sunscreen? I have a white vest, too. I have a black jacket which I really like, but if I were in the market to replace it I'd probably go with red.

Bibs are black, for all the reasons stated above.

I also have a flashing red light on the back and a white one on the front.

Old 04-22-22, 01:26 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
This actually reminds me of my good ol' racing days. The first team I joined had mainly neon orange jerseys. You could pick your team members out of a peloton from 100 meters away. The next year, they chose "bullet silver" which was really a light gray. Couldn't find the team members anywhere. I imagine that also impacts how easily a driver can see them. Fashion is fashion, but I feel like my brightly colored jerseys serve a purpose.
Old 04-22-22, 02:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by urbanknight
This actually reminds me of my good ol' racing days. The first team I joined had mainly neon orange jerseys. You could pick your team members out of a peloton from 100 meters away. The next year, they chose "bullet silver" which was really a light gray. Couldn't find the team members anywhere. I imagine that also impacts how easily a driver can see them. Fashion is fashion, but I feel like my brightly colored jerseys serve a purpose.
In my case, part of that purpose is it prevents my phosphorescent white Anglo-Celtic pallor from blinding motorists and other cyclists....

Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-22-22, 02:23 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
In another thread it was argued colors and patterns incite dogs to chase you. I don't know if black was considered safe or not.
The last time I went by a stray dog, I was wearing black shorts, a navy jersey, white socks, grey shoes, and a white helmet on a navy bike. The thing didn’t even look at me when I passed him about 5’ away. I guess I didn’t look tasty enough. I’m good with that.
Old 04-22-22, 02:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I recently read that orange and pink are the most easily seen colors, even more so than highlighter yellow. The rational is that those two colors do not blend in with trees, buildings, etc. might be why orange is recommended for hunters
Old 04-22-22, 02:44 PM
tornado60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thanks everyone for the education.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Where do you live that you don't have a ton of people in bright yellow clothing?
I'm not in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here. There are not a ton of work out options where I live period. That may be part of it.
Old 04-22-22, 03:41 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I recently read that orange and pink are the most easily seen colors, even more so than highlighter yellow. The rational is that those two colors do not blend in with trees, buildings, etc. might be why orange is recommended for hunters
Makes me wonder if that means different colors are best for urban environments, or desert.
Old 04-22-22, 03:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
My three favorite colors are black, grey, and dark blue, so that's what I usually wear -- I can achieve visibility through other means. TBH, I dislike jerseys of any color.
Old 04-22-22, 04:02 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
That's why I don't wear green or brown jerseys. I figure a big red or blue square is not something that blends into most natural settings.

Old 04-22-22, 05:12 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
I don't mind the black shorts but don't understand black or dark colored rain jackets!
Likes For Pearson100:
Old 04-22-22, 05:16 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I am a fan of blaze orange.
Old 04-22-22, 05:52 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
People today don't seem to want to stand out. Makes them uneasy to have on color that might let them be seen.

I still can't get over the guy in dark exercise clothing that matched the MUP colors perfectly and doing pushups in a heavily shadowed depression that I almost ran over when cycling a year or so ago.

Though I will say white bibs or short is not a good look for the grime and yellowish colored drinks you might spill on them while cycling that gets mistaken by others as urine stain or worse.
On the contrary, I think an all-black kit, including the bike and helmet would actually make you "stand out" NOT in the safety sense but in terms of aesthetics.

You'll find all the new, very forgettable, junkfood-worthy, very popular but low brain cell movies is promoting the all-black get up. And even automotive industry is doing the same with their all-black line up of cars and SUVs looking mean and deadly.

Commuters who probably don't care much about image or vanity would often have bright items on them. High visibility. Great for motorists so they don't have to look at you directly to see you. In fact as a motorist myself, I only need to glance or notice high vis riders on my peripheral vision, no need to take a closer or 2nd look, giving me more opportunity to scan the rest of the road.

It's the more "serious", more obsessed type of riders who put on all-black wear including the helmet, gloves on an all-black bike trying to look like pros. I have often seen motorcycles ran into them in the daylight and they get extremely angry when it happens. No kidding, you're wearing all black and riding right beside rows of trees casting dark shadows and dark green leaves. At the perfect, sun angle, you'll be invisible!
Old 04-22-22, 06:20 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Oh Good Grief! Buy what you want and stop worrying about other people's choices. It's not like there is nothing but black clothing.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 04-22-22, 06:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge

Commuters who probably don't care much about image or vanity would often have bright items on them!
‘Sup, Cubbie? I commuted today in black tights and a Navy blue top.
Old 04-22-22, 07:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Always wear black bibs or shorts for obviously sweaty reasons. Grew up in the age of bright multi-colored jerseys (think LeMond). Dark colors always seemed semi-suicidal, especially during the dark winter months and while riding in the shadows. I too wear a white helmet and have front and rear flashing lights, I do have some bright single colored jerseys but just can’t go day-glow except for a yellow-green vest I wear in the winter.

Read a research article on colors and cycling and it basically stated color made zero difference in visibility and accidents. What did make a difference was having a bright color on a visible moving part of your body, like legs or cycling shoes. Moving colors draw a drivers attention.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-22-22, 08:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Oh and to answer the original question: It’s about fashion trends. Companies can’t keep selling clothes if they don’t keep changing things up.

Old 04-22-22, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 2,661 Posts
I like my dark clothing I don't need bright flashy colors because at night I have lights on the bike and that is really what people are seeing. If people are seeing your clothing first you need better lighting.

Every time I wear light clothes they get stained usually with grease and I don't need that.
Old 04-22-22, 09:08 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Like bar tape, shorts should be black. But we are now getting warm weather and sun. Sun sleeves or long sleeves are needed and white is preferred for high albedo.

Otto
Old 04-22-22, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Don’t know where Otto lives since it is not stated under his image, but I can’t wait to get into short sleeves and sun tan lotion.

Old 04-22-22, 10:48 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
‘Sup, Cubbie? I commuted today in black tights and a Navy blue top.
Doesn't count as all black and your bike isn't all black either.

I was talking about wannabes with modern carbon bikes, all black, everything, rims, cassette, shirt, helmet..... I even saw some of them riding at night without lights.

Who's cubbie anyway, sounds like a terrifically nice guy
Old 04-23-22, 06:21 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Don’t know where Otto lives since it is not stated under his image, but I can’t wait to get into short sleeves and sun tan lotion.
Near the Katy Trail. I mostly ride short sleeves in summer but I switched from sun tan lotion to white sun sleeves, and I prefer that.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-23-22, 06:33 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 870 Times in 443 Posts
All my kits are bright, not a fan of dark colors this was my latest custom design.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 04-23-22, 06:41 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This video has a lot to digest on the subject. Trikes, bright light, shadows, forefront, background, movement, function, fashion, branding, etc, etc. You can make your own decisions.

Last edited by seypat; 04-23-22 at 10:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.