Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Both feet slipping simultaneously

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-05-22, 09:13 PM
sourdoughT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m getting back into cycling with the same bike after caregiving for several years, a Motobecane Fantom CX 2008 edition modified for long commutes and long distance rides. Recently I rode about four miles to get back in the swing of things. I’ve had toe cages with the straps pert near from the beginning, same ones, rare problem once in while a foot would slip out and no biggie. However this time both feet slipped out out the cages simultaneously three times over the four miles. That concerns me as unsafe.
Any ideas how to rectify that?
Old 08-05-22, 09:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
You say your foot slips out. Why ? Because you pull back and the strap isn't tight enough to hold your foot? Does the strap stretch? Or slip in the buckle? Break? Do you tighten the strap after getting rolling and putting your foot in? What shoes do you wear?

A lot of questions because until we know more, we have to either guess what is happening or spout generalities. I've been using toeclips and straps for half a century with little issue but: I ride with quality toestraps pulled tight (and I treat that leather with Snowseal dressing) and wear cleats that fit over the pedal cage. Even if I"m wearing street shoes, I pull the straps tight. And yes, I still fall over when I forget to loosen the straps. I also ride at times in conditions where pulling a foot out would be a life-changing injury. Whereas the "oops! I forgot to loosen" always happens at a standstill.
Old 08-05-22, 10:31 PM
sourdoughT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Admittedly they’re the same shoes and straps I used back in 2008. Perhaps it’s time to replace both. I’ve been out of circulation for years.
Old 08-05-22, 11:48 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
I don't tighten down my straps anymore and don't have problems. It just could be ya need ta get back into the Groove again.

I ounce was standing a long time at a light with my bike. When the light turned I quickly jumped back on and missed first my right them my left pedal and gave myself a real good solid whack to my testicles as I slammed into my top tube. Two cars beside me had tears from laughing but both rolled thier windows down to offer assistance. Sometimes its just your turn...
Old 08-06-22, 04:13 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Get some MTB platform pedals with pins in them and a pair of shoes with grippy soles.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-06-22, 07:09 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
I never tighten the straps, and just use flat bottom tennis shoes, never an issue. Platform pedals with the pins work quite well too.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 08-06-22, 07:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
what pedals & shoes did this happen with?
Old 08-06-22, 10:19 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
You say your foot slips out. Why ? Because you pull back and the strap isn't tight enough to hold your foot? Does the strap stretch? Or slip in the buckle? Break? Do you tighten the strap after getting rolling and putting your foot in? What shoes do you wear?

A lot of questions because until we know more, we have to either guess what is happening or spout generalities. I've been using toeclips and straps for half a century with little issue but: I ride with quality toestraps pulled tight (and I treat that leather with Snowseal dressing) and wear cleats that fit over the pedal cage. Even if I"m wearing street shoes, I pull the straps tight. And yes, I still fall over when I forget to loosen the straps. I also ride at times in conditions where pulling a foot out would be a life-changing injury. Whereas the "oops! I forgot to loosen" always happens at a standstill.
I have not used clips in over 30 years but when I did I never had them very tight. Maybe just from not really knowing how to set them up properly. Are you saying that you have them so tight you can't get your foot out? You have to loosen them at a traffic light stop?
Old 08-06-22, 10:29 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
A pic (or three) says a thousand words.
Old 08-06-22, 10:50 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I have not used clips in over 30 years but when I did I never had them very tight. Maybe just from not really knowing how to set them up properly. Are you saying that you have them so tight you can't get your foot out? You have to loosen them at a traffic light stop?
Yes. I use toeclips and straps on all my fix gear bikes. I never want want to pull a foot out on a 40+ mph descent. Never. That will have that foot or achilles heel or calf damaged for life by the impact of a sledge hammer. (Never mind how the rest of that probably crash plays out.) I raced back in the day. Straps tight. You loosened them after crashes so you could stand up. For those of us with poor gymnastic skills, more road rash, fewer broken bones.

Reaching down to loosen is so ingrained I often touch my clipless shoes at lights when I ride my geared bikes! (Oh yeah, I don't have to .")
Old 08-06-22, 12:09 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It's hard to imagine how your feet slip off the pedal backwards. About the only thing I can imagine is that you must be letting your heel fall as you push down on the pedals or you are doing more pulling on the upstroke than pushing with the other foot on the downstroke.

Maybe just your calf is out of shape letting your heel fall and needs to get stronger to compete with the other leg muscles powering your bike. Possibly a way too low saddle might contribute some toward this.

Is your cadence real high when this happens? 80 rpm and better as a routine cadence is when I realized that I really needed clipless. Though I was flat pedals at the time. Never used traps or clips.

​​​And as zandoval said, maybe you just need to get back in the grove.
Old 08-06-22, 03:45 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Get some MTB platform pedals with pins in them and a pair of shoes with grippy soles.
What he said. I only rode off-road, using flats with pins for many years. Then, when we moved,bought a road bike. Everyone said that my flats with pins were not for a road bike. Now, I'm no pro racer but no slouch and I tried clipless but never felt comfortable on them. And never cared for toe clips. Well, to some they may not look "right" on a road bike but they work for me. And several others that noticed them on my bike, tried 'em and put them on their bikes!
Old 08-06-22, 03:59 PM
sourdoughT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I think I’ll do to start with is just replace the toe straps first and see how that works being that’s the cheapest. Then look at shoes and pedals. I’m on a fixed budget.
I appreciate the input so far folks and I’m glad it’s stretching my mind back into the groove of cycling.
Old 08-06-22, 05:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,149 Times in 1,313 Posts
I ride with toe clips and straps but no cleat. A number of years ago I picked up some smooth rubber soled semi-rigid touring shoes.

I keep the straps just loose enough to get my shoe out but not so loose that the shoe, with velcro straps, easily slips.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-06-22, 08:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
When i stop, I always put my right foot down, never the left. When I rode with rat traps, clips, and straps, I'd put my left foot in the clip, tighten the strap, and thread it through the buckle. Yeah, tight enough that it's impossible to pull my foot out. I'd get going a few stroke with the right pedal upside down and with a loose strap, then flip it and put my foot in the clip, coast for a little bit while I reached down and tightened that strap. I did not thread it through the buckle. With trad straps and buckles, all I did was reach down and touch the right buckle to loosen it, then pull my foot out as I came to a stop. Which does sound like a bit of a PITA, which is why almost everyone uses clipless pedals now.

Worked very well, though the tight straps had a tendency to make my feet cold in inclement weather. I wore soft rubber soled shoes, so that the rat trap pedals made grooves in the soles after a few hundred miles, which reduced the strap tension necessary.
Old 08-06-22, 08:35 PM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I ride with toe clips and straps but no cleat. A number of years ago I picked up some smooth rubber soled semi-rigid touring shoes.

I keep the straps just loose enough to get my shoe out but not so loose that the shoe, with velcro straps, easily slips.
DItto for me. My feet do float quite a bit, but never backwards or off the pedals. Probably just need to work on your (OP) technique.

Last edited by Oakman; 08-06-22 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 04:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Yes. I use toeclips and straps on all my fix gear bikes. I never want want to pull a foot out on a 40+ mph descent. Never. That will have that foot or achilles heel or calf damaged for life by the impact of a sledge hammer. (Never mind how the rest of that probably crash plays out.) I raced back in the day. Straps tight. You loosened them after crashes so you could stand up. For those of us with poor gymnastic skills, more road rash, fewer broken bones.

Reaching down to loosen is so ingrained I often touch my clipless shoes at lights when I ride my geared bikes! (Oh yeah, I don't have to .")
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
When i stop, I always put my right foot down, never the left. When I rode with rat traps, clips, and straps, I'd put my left foot in the clip, tighten the strap, and thread it through the buckle. Yeah, tight enough that it's impossible to pull my foot out. I'd get going a few stroke with the right pedal upside down and with a loose strap, then flip it and put my foot in the clip, coast for a little bit while I reached down and tightened that strap. I did not thread it through the buckle. With trad straps and buckles, all I did was reach down and touch the right buckle to loosen it, then pull my foot out as I came to a stop. Which does sound like a bit of a PITA, which is why almost everyone uses clipless pedals now.

Worked very well, though the tight straps had a tendency to make my feet cold in inclement weather. I wore soft rubber soled shoes, so that the rat trap pedals made grooves in the soles after a few hundred miles, which reduced the strap tension necessary.
i guess when i had toe clips i just did not know how to really use them. i always had them loose enough so i can get my foot out. so during an emergency stop how does that work out? i suppose it is a well understood unlikely risk.
Old 08-07-22, 08:20 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts

Ditto. I used to use slot cleats along with clips and straps many decades ago when I raced, but never when I toured or for any recreational riding. This works fine to me to this day and slippage as described does not occur. I do have one bike with SPDs, but frankly I see no advantage over clips and straps.
Old 08-07-22, 08:58 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
i guess when i had toe clips i just did not know how to really use them. i always had them loose enough so i can get my foot out. so during an emergency stop how does that work out? i suppose it is a well understood unlikely risk.
Never had that sort of a problem. Hopefully hard braking will prevent the whatever it is, and you'll be rolling slowly long enough to reach down. As mentioned above, when one goes down with clipless, the stress on the connection will cause the bike to part company with you. Not so with clips and straps. After everything stops, you have to loosen the straps to get your feet out. This is not a big drawback. At least you're not tumbling. And hopefully you've kept your knees in and hands on the bars and you've just lost a few $100 in fancy clothes. Flesh heals, as they say, Campy goes not. So far I've not broken a bone cycling, just a few ribs skiing fast.
Old 08-07-22, 11:32 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
As often happens , there is the search for 'The Right Way'.
Right Way for you may be different from someone else. Racers tightened straps so tight that even if they 'gave' just a bit, you wouldn;t come out of the clip and cleat combo.
Then there are those riders who might never pull on the strap to even get them somewhat around the shoe... Then there were trackies who used 2 straps per pedal and hauled up on them until it was painful...
'Right' is what works/worked for you.

Originally Posted by sourdoughT
I’m getting back into cycling with the same bike after caregiving for several years, a Motobecane Fantom CX 2008 edition modified for long commutes and long distance rides. Recently I rode about four miles to get back in the swing of things. I’ve had toe cages with the straps pert near from the beginning, same ones, rare problem once in while a foot would slip out and no biggie. However this time both feet slipped out out the cages simultaneously three times over the four miles. That concerns me as unsafe.
Any ideas how to rectify that?
But I gotta asked the OP, HOW can one pull out of both pedals, backwards/upwards/downwards (or some other variation) at the same time, if one is actually pedaling. - unless you stop the pedal stroke and deliberately pull both shoes backwards or up and out (or both in hyper dorsiflexion or some other combination).
Given that the OP is pedaling as most do, simultaneous (without purpose) just doesn't seem possible.
And he hasn't really explained how this happened... SO, it didn;t happen...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 08-08-22, 09:02 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
2007 Fantom Cross rider here. I use toe clips on all my bikes, with MTB shoes with no cleats. I never tighten straps, but like the security of the "cage" to keep my feet securely on pedals. Your technique may be the issue, but shoes with rough tread pattern might help. You could tighten the straps, but then you have to remember to loosen one before stopping. Sounds like you are pulling up on pedal, in which case tighten straps or go to "clipless" pedal and shoe system.
Old 08-08-22, 10:45 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes!!
Old 08-10-22, 04:57 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts

John
Bingo!
I wear Giro Rumble shoes with most of the bikes, Diadoras with the Bianchi, because of shorter toeclips. I keep the straps just loose enough to let me jerk a foot out, as needed.
I really really really miss my old Avocet Touring II shoes, with their transverse ridges in the rubber soles and internal steel shanks. Those are still my favorite touring, commuting, and general purpose cycling shoes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 09-09-22, 01:12 PM
sourdoughT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My feet were in horizontal plane while cycling so I’d say no upward or downward pressure was there to keep them in place. Anyway I just finally went out a few minutes ago and rode for about a mile and half with new toe straps in place and no problems whatsoever. So I’m feeling much safer in cycling again at 66 y/o. I want to do the Seattle To Portland again, it’s been a few years.
Thanks everyone for your sharing and input. It got these squeaky gears inside my head moving again.

Last edited by sourdoughT; 09-09-22 at 01:18 PM.