Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need some help with my Miyata 912

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-12-21, 11:51 AM
wweissborn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hope this is the correct forum for these kinds of questions. If not, please point me in the right direction.

Picked up a new (to me) old Miyata Pink & Black 912 (circa 1986 according to serial number). Nursing it back to health and got to where I could take it for a quick test ride. Discovered that the handlebars are about 2" too low for me. The handlebar stem had a 5mm hex nut/bolt in the middle and it is kinda chewed up. I just tried to loosen it and it didn't budge. Is that the correct way to raise/lower the stem, via the hex bolt, or do I have to loosen the nuts around it as well?

Any suggestions as to how to get that hex bolt to move? Currently soaking it with a liquid-wrench type of product.

OH, and what would have been the correct color wrap for this back. Currently it has a hot pink wrap which was done poorly by someone and the grandkids are giving me hell about the color.

TIA

Bill W
Old 12-12-21, 01:06 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Yes, that is the way to loosen it, no you don't need to do loosen the headset. Once the bolt is out a little bit you can whack down on it to loosen the wedge.

The catalog seems to show a black frame with a silver or whitish bartape though if you google for pictures the black ones show with pink tape and the pink ones show black tape.
Old 12-12-21, 01:11 PM
wweissborn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Got it loosened and adjusted. One whack of a rubber mallet was all it took. Thanks!

Pink tape/black tape, eh? Maybe I'll mix the two when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Bill W
Likes For wweissborn:
Old 12-12-21, 01:24 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
Say, please pay mind to the limit line on the stem if there is one. You don't want the raise the stem so high that you can see the line because that will mean the wedge will end up in the threaded section of the fork steerer tube, and that would not be good.

You could replace the stem if it goes past the limit line and you want it taller.
Likes For rgvg:
Old 12-12-21, 02:27 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Park Tool advice here:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...on-quill-stems
Old 12-13-21, 08:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by wweissborn
Any suggestions as to how to get that hex bolt to move? Currently soaking it with a liquid-wrench type of product.
Face the bike with front wheel between the legs, loosen the bolt, and twist bars. That gives you some leverage.