Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Brooks Saddle Care

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Brooks Saddle Care

Old 12-22-21, 02:29 PM
Greg R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Brooks Saddle Care

I've recently acquired 2 Brooks saddles. One is like new, used but very clean and a tad flexible. The other is weather beaten, surface cracks, a fair amount of flex; but I believe there's life left in it. I am using the Proofide leather dressing. My question is on the adjusting nut. How tight is tight enough? They both have the threaded rod near the beginning or starting end so I assume neither has had or very little adjustment.in their life.
Old 12-22-21, 04:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
I think the consensus is "don't tighten it unless you absolutely have to".
This has been discussed many times, so I expect a search might pull up those discussions. ... or at least prove that there are a lot of different opinions??

Steve in Peoria
(never touched one of the adjusting nuts myself)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 12-22-21, 08:58 PM
Greg R

Yep, I've done some research. Mostly the posts and advice are for good to new saddles with break-in advice. I'll leave the good one alone. It's the beaten one I think will need adjustment. It sags quite a bit so maybe just a little tension to "tone" it up after the leather treatment is done.
Old 12-22-21, 09:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg R
Yep, I've done some research. Mostly the posts and advice are for good to new saddles with break-in advice. I'll leave the good one alone. It's the beaten one I think will need adjustment. It sags quite a bit so maybe just a little tension to "tone" it up after the leather treatment is done.
I don't do this to Brooks very often but I have tightened Selle Anatomica a lot. For the older one, if you have put on a little Proofide, that's enough, since it's already cracked. On the SA I like to get the leather to make a smooth pair of straps from the cantle plate up to the front - smooth and supple but not tighter than that.
Old 12-22-21, 11:46 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I have a herd of brooks saddles. The old advice about the nut is 'don't mess with it,' until you need to which is when the saddle starts to sag. This happens over time, usually years of riding and exposure to water. You can give it a turn or two and see how the leather will start to tighten.
Likes For Biketiger:
Old 12-23-21, 06:04 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketiger
I have a herd of brooks saddles. The old advice about the nut is 'don't mess with it,' until you need to which is when the saddle starts to sag. This happens over time, usually years of riding and exposure to water. You can give it a turn or two and see how the leather will start to tighten.
I know the few times I have tightened a Brooks, a quarter turn was enough to notice, and just a bit more started to raise the center ridge. And it’s not clear to me that Brooks leather is elastic enough to spring back after being stretched, unlike Selle Anatomica. I would only tension it less than about 1/2 wrench flat (1/12 turn) at a time turn at a time, or ½ stroke with the little Brooks wrench.
Old 12-23-21, 09:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg R
I've recently acquired 2 Brooks saddles. One is like new, used but very clean and a tad flexible. The other is weather beaten, surface cracks, a fair amount of flex; but I believe there's life left in it. I am using the Proofide leather dressing.
Go easy on the Proofide. A little bit once or twice a year is plenty.

My question is on the adjusting nut. How tight is tight enough? They both have the threaded rod near the beginning or starting end so I assume neither has had or very little adjustment.in their life.
Unless the saddle is visibly sagging, there's no reason to tighten the tension nut. If you do need to tighten it, go slow, so you don't tear the leather. Maybe half a turn at a time, ride it a while, and check again for sag.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-23-21, 12:48 PM
Greg R

All good info to know. Thanks. I applied the Proofide on warm leather working by the woodstove with just a gentle heat no more than body heat. The good (newish) saddle just needed one application, similar to working with my work boots. The weathered one was "thirsty". It took about 4 applications using small amounts on the fingers letting it set for an hour between coats. The leather now has some body to it and is not greasy at all with no residual to buff and I think it's good as it's going to get.

On the underside I saw impressions where the leather sagged enough to contact the seat frame. I'm not heavy, Holding 160#
Maybe I can tension enough to keep it off the seat frame.
Old 12-23-21, 01:10 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Bottom line for both the shackle bolt and the proofide, like everyone else has said, do this when necessary. If you're not sure it's necessary, it's not necessary. If it is necessary, go for it, but don't overdo it.

TLDR: When a saddle leaves the factory, the leather is under tension, which comes from the frame being a little bit "too small." The frame is a strong springy steel-- it will flex a fair amount but will not ("should not") take a permanent bend unless it takes a serious hit. That tension is often all the saddle will need, but if you ever have to ride the saddle while the leather is soaking wet, it will probably stretch permanently, and the tension will be lost. If the nut is loose enough that you can tighten it without a wrench, go for it. If the bolt is actually loose and rattling around, you can definitely take a wrench to it and tighten it until it's not rattling anymore.

As for proofide, if you ever have to ride the saddle in the rain, with wet pants, you will probably notice the surface of the leather looking dull and porous after it dries. That's when Proofide is necessary. But go easy....

Last edited by rhm; 12-23-21 at 06:27 PM.
Likes For rhm:
Old 12-23-21, 02:39 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Another thing to consider; my B17 Softened came with holes and lacing on the sides, something you might try if what you've done so far isn't enough. And where are our pics??
Old 12-23-21, 09:29 PM
Greg R

Ok here are some pictures. The first 2, the one in question, is a B66. It cleaned up very nice and the last application of Proofide left a finish similar to the 2nd newer one. A minor nut adjustment toned it up so it doesn't sag on the frame. If you look just above the shiny nut you can see the embossing in the leather from contacting the frame.

This 2nd is a Champion Flyer and seems much newer Only needed one application of Proofide and still pretty stiff. No nut adjustment needed at this time.

Last edited by Greg R; 12-23-21 at 09:32 PM.
Likes For Greg R: