Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2021 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 10:17 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Updated pictures of the RockHopper. Now running the smooth tire wheels with the warmer weather. Those wheels now both have Contact Speed 26x2.0, which is an excellent tire.

The other change is running the bar tape all the way to the stem clamp. I moved the computer and bell onto the stem to get them out of the way. Now I can use that very center location for a lower, more aero position on flat sections.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 04-28-21 at 10:21 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 04-28-21, 10:41 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Bikes: officially too many now...

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 42 Posts
Old 04-30-21, 02:19 PM
middy
Ketchup

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Windsor Essex with 40mm Kouriers, Sylvans, and some old steel drop bars. Just needs a Brooks saddle and it’s finished, but I might get some cream tires to add to the early 20th century vibe.

Last edited by middy; 04-30-21 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-30-21, 02:58 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by EnzoRWD
IMHO There needs to be a ban on pics of Cinelli pista frames.....it just loads up viewers with insatiable jealousy....we are a nation already torn apart by race and politics...we can’t let “Cinelli Pista have and have nots” add to our list of divisions......
PS....is that a Cinelli Mash?
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 04-30-21, 04:39 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Made a few changes to the Trek build - a pair of silver A23/Formulas, proper cable clamps, and some grips that better matched the Brooks. Also swapped out the black chain ring to keep the all silver component theme going. Just have to install the new brakes when they arrive next week, then the VO headset I've been too lazy to bother with, and I think I might be done. At least for a while.

Last edited by j_e_r_e_m_y; 05-01-21 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-30-21, 09:44 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Where in the city was that? I mean, assuming it's in MKE.
Likes For j_e_r_e_m_y:
Old 05-01-21, 03:59 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Damn, I just saw the new Cinelli Mash has two bottle cage mounts now. It's got me thinking....
Old 05-02-21, 06:40 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts

I'm reposting this bike because I made some changes. Can you tell what they are ? Hint - See Post #4.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 05-02-21, 07:33 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Chainring...rear cog. Battery in the rear light

Last edited by Speedway2; 05-02-21 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 06:19 AM
Leo001

Bikes: Lightspeed Classic. Specialized Sectur. Specialized Langster. Salsa Beargrease Bianchi Camolante Serotta Colorado Trek Lane

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Redline 9-2-5 steel frame, bullhorns
Likes For Leo001:
Old 05-03-21, 07:13 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
IMHO There needs to be a ban on pics of Cinelli pista frames.....it just loads up viewers with insatiable jealousy....we are a nation already torn apart by race and politics...we can’t let “Cinelli Pista have and have nots” add to our list of divisions......
PS....is that a Cinelli Mash?
Mash CXSS
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
Where in the city was that? I mean, assuming it's in MKE.
the Zocalo food truck area on 6th street just south of Conejitos
Likes For EnzoRWD:
Old 05-03-21, 07:14 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Damn, I just saw the new Cinelli Mash has two bottle cage mounts now. It's got me thinking....
My Mash CXSS has ZERO bottle cage mounts. Or fender or rack mounts. I have to use a canti stud and QR mounted rack.
Old 05-03-21, 02:24 PM
Lazyass

My Mash CXSS has ZERO bottle cage mounts. Or fender or rack mounts. I have to use a canti stud and QR mounted rack.

This is on their website:

Bolt: the legendary track frameset and first of the historic collaboration between Cinelli and Mash. Now available in a new updated version. The same angles and geometries of the Histogram but updated with road elements: 27,2 seat tube and dual bottle cage fasteners.

I can't see a pic of the rear brake bridge, but this is the fork. Does that look like a hole for the caliper mount you can punch out?

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-07-21, 12:49 PM
Fulltime1wd
Vintage aged

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Cannondale single speed

Just finished my first single speed conversion. I haven't owned a single speed bike since hmmm, probably since 1980ish when I had a Western Flyer kid's bike. I found this for sale with complete rusted shifters/brakes/chain so it was the perfect candidate. It's a 2009 Cannondale Quick Six.

The more I researched this bike, the more jaw-dropping it became because the frame geometry on this 2009 hybrid bike in Small is somewhat similar to frame geometry on modern gravel bikes. Is this a flat-bar gravel bike? Maybe...so I set this up with Specialized Sawtooth 2Bliss gravel tires in 700x38 on sale for $22 each, and there's still plenty of clearance for 700x42 (but those were out of stock). Tubeless using Gorilla tape on the non-tubeless rims and Stan's sealant. I used Schrader tubeless valve stems as that's the original valve size, in shiny gold because the blue stems would've taken 2 days longer to arrive and I couldn't be waiting around. Good to go. Frame is alloy, fork is CroMo.

This bike surprised me because I've had other hybrid bikes and they were more biased towards the road with barely enough clearance to run skinny 25's.

The low-budget Amazon single speed kit is working great so far, I've done 30 miles and the freedom of having no shifters is rather fun. After this wonderful experience, I feel everyone should have at least one single speed in the stable. I still have the Shimano triple front chain ring, it's a one-piece cheapie where you can't unbolt the sprockets unless your 'wrench' is an angle grinder. I'm using the middle ring so the gearing is 38/16 which is 65 gear inches and seems perfect for the riding I'm doing on a 'rails to trails' paved path in my area. I do have to mash up a couple long hills but that's okay, it will make me stronger amirite.

An oil-slick KMC chain and oil-slick valve caps look great in the sun. I've been chuckling about the one item I spent unnecessary amounts of money on: a Supacuz Fly oil-slick bottle cage that cost almost as much as I paid for the bike. I had an extra Wolf Tooth anodized blue spacer so I put that on the stem just for looks. The bike already had a Cane Creek headset and cup that was installed afterwards or came stock, I dunno. Demolition Trooper pedals in blue/white because we all remember our BMX youth.
Likes For Fulltime1wd:
Old 05-08-21, 06:11 AM
balt
‘96 Little 5

Bikes: Ribble Eliminator, Specialized FatBoy, Cannondale Quick Cx, Schwinn Racer

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Schwinn Racer becomes Commuter

A couple weeks ago I picked up a $60 single speed to refurbish while I recover from my bike crash. This Schwinn Racer has a steel frame and a coaster brake, like the Roadmaster bike I raced in the Little 500 in '96. It'll be my weekday commuter to and from the train station. What's new: paint, tires, tubes, rim tape, pedals, saddle (used), post clamp, grips, and bar ends. So the bike is no longer really cheap, but I like the way it looks and rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
before-right.jpg (215.2 KB, 669 views)
File Type: jpg
after-right.jpg (1.55 MB, 671 views)

Last edited by balt; 05-08-21 at 07:00 AM. Reason: correction
Likes For balt:
Old 05-08-21, 06:19 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
2019 Rinsei Lab Keirin

Ah, Spring... Glorious spring. That time when we fiddle the most with our bicycles and possibly update/upgrade every contact point of our favorite one for the coming year (if we/they are lucky)... Additionally, my favorite bicycle now hosts a full complement of NJS-stamped Dura-Ace components (the missing bit was a cog—up until last month) alongside all the normal Nitto necessities; the facts of which only I am aware of and/or have care

Old 05-08-21, 07:28 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

^^^ that is one nice looking bike.
Old 05-08-21, 07:31 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Originally Posted by balt
A couple weeks ago I picked up a $60 single speed to refurbish while I recover from my bike crash. This Schwinn Racer has a steel frame and a coaster brake, like the Roadmaster bike I raced in the Little 500 in '96. It'll be my weekday commuter to and from the train station. What's new: paint, tires, tubes, rim tape, pedals, saddle (used), post clamp, grips, and bar ends. So the bike is no longer really cheap, but I like the way it looks and rides.
Very nice, coaster brake bikes are always fun af.
Old 05-09-21, 07:03 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Originally Posted by ethet
Ah, Spring... Glorious spring....

what saddle is that?
Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 05-09-21, 07:10 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
what saddle is that?
It is the carved Brooks C17 All Weather saddle.
Likes For ethet:
Old 05-10-21, 10:35 AM
EnzoRWD
enginerd

enjoying some spring weather up in WI
Old 05-11-21, 05:55 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I got inspired this morning and swapped the Nitto road bars and stem back onto my Schwinn SS road bike. Will post pix no later than Thursday, when I get new bar tape.

Otto
Old 05-12-21, 02:56 AM
Lazyass

This is my rain bike. These mud guards from Handsome Cycles are really nice. Does anybody know where I can buy some fender eyelets that mount on the hub axles? This Swobo was supposed to come with them but there were none in the box and when I bought it the company was already out of business. The clamps I got at Lowes work fine but I don't like the look. I know you can buy ones for q/r skewers but I believe the holes would be too small and they don't look like there's enough material to drill them out larger

My black Wabi Sub-15 wheels will be going on it when I but some tubulars. And I'm thinking about getting the frameset powder coated blue. What do you guys think? The burnt orange paint is very good quality but the color has never really grown on me.

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 05-12-21, 06:51 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'm thinking about getting the frameset powder coated blue. What do you guys think? The burnt orange paint is very good quality but the color has never really grown on me.
i like the burnt orange—maybe some well placed black decals would get you to a look you like? But if you find that right shade of blue, just go for it—these tig welded frames always look good in fresh powder-coat (vs the lugged frames which tend to lose a little of that crisp lug definition)
Old 05-12-21, 02:23 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts
Lazyass; The burnt orange paint is very good quality but the color has never really grown on me.

Hey, where I'm from....replacing burnt orange with any color is a criminal offense. Leave it be!
Likes For ggpepper:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.