Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Group Rides Are Back

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Group Rides Are Back

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 12:46 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
Group Rides Are Back

I'm an infrequent poster here since retirement from my corporate job. Part time I ride along with bike events with my cameras.
Last night, after 14 months, Providence Bike Jam had their rebirth ride. Enjoy.

Last edited by capejohn; 05-22-21 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For capejohn:
Old 05-22-21, 03:02 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
I have to ask, were the streets blocked off by police? I see riders on the wrong side of the road, going through lights, riding at night with no lights... in downtown Providence? Personally, I think I would have skipped that group ride.
Old 05-23-21, 06:51 PM
capejohn

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have to ask, were the streets blocked off by police? I see riders on the wrong side of the road, going through lights, riding at night with no lights... in downtown Providence? Personally, I think I would have skipped that group ride.
No streets were blocked. There were a couple of times when we were riding through lights that turned red, a police car was nearby. The cop pulled into the intersection with lights flashing till all the riders passed. Some had lights, some didn't. Although the street lights made it like riding in the daytime. Some had helmets, some didn't. And yes, some were on the wrong side of the road. We got lots of friendly honks from cars, and many stopped in the middle of the street to video us riding by. Everyone feels safe on this monthly ride. I guess for some, you had to be there to appreciate it.
Old 05-23-21, 09:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yes, group rides are back. Our 25 y.o. ride is attended only by the fully vaccinated. We didn't make that a rule, but we're all sensible folks who want to live long, healthy lives, so that's just how it is. We have 3 groups, the Rabbits, the Goldilocks, and the Slackers, so I have to publish 3 rides. I try to get the elevation and distance right for the Rabbis and Goldilocks so that those 2 groups finish at about the same time. The Slackers aren't interested in finishing at the same time, well not really, really it's they're not fit enough for 3-5 hour hilly rides.

I'm not interested in doing urban rides, period. Our rides are all rural. We start from an urban fringe, where it's only a few relatively low traffic blocks to rural. Our starting places have to have free parking with a brew-pub within easy walking distance. We usually do 50'/mile, 25-75 mile weekly rides. Yes, we live in heaven but that's why we live here.
Old 05-23-21, 10:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Congrats on getting back with the group. Let the good times roll.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-23-21, 10:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I’ve been on the Saturday River Ride since I’ve been vaccinated. It’s been hella fast. With all the spring races canceled, they’ve been huge.

Last edited by caloso; 05-24-21 at 10:05 AM.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-24-21, 09:31 AM
capejohn

I've had a couple of responses to my video post by those who do not like that type of biking. My post and response here is not intended to challenge anyone else's preferences. It's only about what I do.

In the past I loved the long rural rides. But as a videographer, those rides don't make good stories. But they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys to the avid roadie. I do work some rural events, but those are attended by hundreds of bikers. That gives me enough interesting footage to edit a video.

I also lead a few rides every year that are a pretty even mix of bike path type rides and urban/suburban rides.

My favorites however are night urban rides. Especially those with themes. Like the one headlining this post and a ride I worked and participated last week.
Old 05-24-21, 10:24 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
It looks like everyone had a lot of fun! Even some of the bystanders. Thanks for posting.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-24-21, 11:01 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by capejohn
I've had a couple of responses to my video post by those who do not like that type of biking. My post and response here is not intended to challenge anyone else's preferences. It's only about what I do.

In the past I loved the long rural rides. But as a videographer, those rides don't make good stories. But they are more fun than a barrel of monkeys to the avid roadie. I do work some rural events, but those are attended by hundreds of bikers. That gives me enough interesting footage to edit a video.

I also lead a few rides every year that are a pretty even mix of bike path type rides and urban/suburban rides.

My favorites however are night urban rides. Especially those with themes. Like the one headlining this post and a ride I worked and participated last week.
https://youtu.be/JVFaYTWfN-k
I once went to a New Years Eve party attended by a number of roadies. On the big screen TV, we watched an almost unedited front cam video of a mountain group ride we'd all done many times. Like you say, we lapped it up. Hilarious. "Wow, beautiful line! Uh-oh, here comes Carter!" The leaders of our 3 groups traditionally publish ride reports to the list which bear a passing resemblance to what actually happened. Roadie humor.