Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PSA: Dave Moulton Seeks to Pass the Torch

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 01:20 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts

How many of you read Dave Moulton's blog? I do. It's filled with fascinating history from all facets of cycling and frame building along with nuggets of wisdom and sage advice and wisdom from a man, now 87, who has style, class and a respectable demeanor.

Dave has Parkinson’s Disease and despite a healthy regiment to keep him physically doing well, he is also realist and realizes that all rides must eventually come to an end.

His latest post is an eye opener and call to action for someone to consider keeping the Moulton flame burning. You can (and should) read the post in its entirety but I've abridged it here for the sake of luring you to his site. If you are, or know anyone, who fits what Dave is asking for, you shouldn't hesitate trying to facilitate that connection.

==== Begin Blog Post ====

I need someone to take over the blog. It has been up for over 17 years and has excellent positioning on Google search. It would be ideal if it were linked to a business, or with effort it could be financially self-sufficient, or even show profit, depending how much time and effort one puts into it. I do not have that time.

I am constantly approached by people who want to advertise on the blog, but being uncertain of the future I do not take them up on the offer, also it would involve extra work in placing the ads and tracking payment.

If anyone reading this is interested, or knows someone who might, you can contact me without obligation. Also, practical suggestions would be helpful.

==== End Blog Post ====
Old 02-08-23, 06:33 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have thoroughly enjoyed his blog and referenced it often. I believe he helps people understand all the little nuances of being a frame builder, at least from his experience and approach. His credentials are significant and rates right along with the best of them even though he stopped building many years ago.
No way could I take over, but I am hoping someone will just to keep the sight open at best. there are volumes of information, equivalent to at least a couple of books. I have gone there to understand his view of fit, design approaches, repair process, cycling history from his perspective, fun site to visit.
When I had a bent fork, his sight is where i went because he has a great justification and process for bending one back.

I do wish him the best. The older we get, the more personally influential people we loose. They are sad events. My wife and I have lost 10 relatives in the last 3 years, some too young, others older but in natural and difficult ways.
Old 02-08-23, 08:42 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I remember when Dave would post here in C&V. I always enjoyed reading his contributions, but was such a noob at the time, I rarely if ever could add any bits of wisdom to the conversation. I used to keep my eye out for one of his frames on CL, but have never come across one. A Dave Moulton fan should take the reins and keep his flam burning.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-08-23, 09:52 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
There are many people that seem to become cult personalities in the cycling world. Many have polarized opinions that they support by endless promoting of themselves and their products through blogs and magazines. Most I find undeserving and totally self serving.
Thankfully, Dave does not fit that mold. I certainly hope he finds a way to continue expressing himself! I enjoy his posts and his frames!
Old 02-08-23, 03:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Dave needs a good lad to help him continue his great work, truly hope he finds one for our sake and his.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-08-23, 04:02 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Likes For merziac:
Old 02-08-23, 04:16 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
merziac Wow! You have some impressive frames

My original gateway drug was a Fuso Lux but it was a 59cm and I need a 62 or 63cm

I asked the other day on a post for a nice bike if lust is still a sin and I got no reply. Now here I see more temptation
Likes For WGB:
Old 02-08-23, 04:33 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Maybe an enterprising soul on this site could start archiving, as was recently done for the vintage Trek site when its fate and ownership was uncertain. It's well beyond my expertise, but it seems like a worthwhile exploit if it's not already underway.
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 02-08-23, 04:53 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by WGB
merziac Wow! You have some impressive frames

My original gateway drug was a Fuso Lux but it was a 59cm and I need a 62 or 63cm

I asked the other day on a post for a nice bike if lust is still a sin and I got no reply. Now here I see more temptation
This was the gateway/placeholder frame, first and only one to show up not too long after Dave had a talk at a shop here in PDX, 2015.

Not too many folks showed up, their loss, he was great, answered many questions and was happy to talk well after it was over.

Obviously way too small but was no matter, had to have one.

Old 02-08-23, 05:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Sheldon Brown comes to mind.
who is running that site?
they have extended and revised it.
just peeked in, applause to them.
Likes For repechage:
Old 02-08-23, 08:37 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Sheldon Brown comes to mind.
who is running that site?
they have extended and revised it.
just peeked in, applause to them.
Is it John Allen or Allan? IIRC, he was a long-time friend of both Sheldon and his wife.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-09-23, 12:55 AM
merziac

Yep, Johns doing a great job, up to date and relevant right now on the Uniglide hub in another thread.
Likes For merziac:
Old 02-09-23, 01:07 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Is it John Allen or Allan? IIRC, he was a long-time friend of both Sheldon and his wife.
John S. Allen's CV is available on his website at https://bikexprt.com/witness/bikeres3.htm

John was writing articles for Bicycling Magazine four decades ago. More recently, for over a decade, he's served as secretary for the NCUTCD Bicycle Technical Committee (disclosure: I was chair of that committee from 2002-2017). Plus running sheldonbrown.com along with Harriet Fell (Sheldon's widow) since Mr. Brown's passing. And he's a good personal friend, despite our geographic (and occasional political) distance.

I've been trying to talk him into joining BF, but I think he correctly views it as a hopeless time sink that might cut into more-productive tasks.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-09-23, 06:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
I've been trying to talk him into joining BF, but I think he correctly views it as a hopeless time sink that might cut into more-productive tasks.
I could swear I've seen posts from him here, but I can't recall the username, and the latter half of your sentence is absolutely true.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 02-09-23, 07:59 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 218 Posts
FWIW I engaged with John Allen years ago when they monetized Sheldon's website with Google ads. The ad placement was a mess and it was repeating those clickbait belly fat ads that basically nobody wants to see when looking up crib sheets (or God forbid a noobie getting their toes wet). John was thankful for the note I sent and they have since cleaned up the ads while making Sheldon's site sustainable.

There *must* be a younger C&V fan that can take on Dave's site. Maybe a lesser known person or team similar to what The Radavist does, or perhaps a more pure version that indeed carries the torch.

Would also be a great way for someone at or near retirement to stay busy and keep the flame going. We're gonna need it.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 02-10-23, 03:13 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I agree it's probably going to have to be a team effort very few people have 60 years of frame building experience to bring to the web but there are number of hobbyists who have a lot of knowledge on a single aspects. It would be nice if that knowledge could be consolidated in a single place, basically and philosophy and history version of Sheldon Brown.