Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Cinelli Alliante Pro Team

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 12:37 PM
Bjerager

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane C5, 1998 Cinelli Aliante, 1984 Banani Columbus SL, 2003 Banani Columbus EL-OS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 10 Posts
Cinelli Alliante Pro Team

A new bike came my way today - a 56 cm Cinelli Allicante Pro Team. And I litterally mean brand new. The guy I bought it from, well he bought it from a shop in the 90īties, but has never used it. He rode it once up and down the road he lives on, and then stoved it away in the cellar until I bought it from him today. It has some very small dings in the paint on two places, but thats it. The wheels - Mavic Open 4 CD on Ultegra hubs, the 22 inch Vittoria Competition tyres, the chain, the chainrings, the cassette, the flight deck - everything new and unused. Except for the pedals - brought a pair of spd's, so I could rige home.

He insist on having bought it in 1993, but It can't be the case - the Ultegra flight deck was first sold from 1998. But maybe the frame is older. It has a Shimano 600 headset. How do I find out how old the frame is? It is made of Columbus Altec2. I know that aluminium frames doesn't get a lot of affection in here, but it is a actually quite comfortable ride, very responsive and agile. Except for the gears not working....

Only issue with it is the grease in the gear levers. It must have hardened, because they don't work. Any tips on dealing with that issue?

You gotta love that colour

Nice italian stallion

They did at beautiful job putting that frame together

Nice chrome job - at the Ultegra 6500 with Flight deck is all new

Last edited by Bjerager; 04-04-23 at 04:25 AM.
Likes For Bjerager:
Old 04-03-23, 02:10 PM
Bjerager

Bikes: 1979 Motobecane C5, 1998 Cinelli Aliante, 1984 Banani Columbus SL, 2003 Banani Columbus EL-OS

Okay, checked the serial number - looks like itīs from 1998.
Old 04-03-23, 06:32 PM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Beautiful bike - lots and lots of WD-40 directed towards the ratcheting mech inside there will get the brifters back into shape. Keep spraying and then keep shifting; don't give up on them either, sooner or later the gunk will break free, have faith!
Old 04-03-23, 10:54 PM
Bjerager

Originally Posted by jolly_codger
Beautiful bike - lots and lots of WD-40 directed towards the ratcheting mech inside there will get the brifters back into shape. Keep spraying and then keep shifting; don't give up on them either, sooner or later the gunk will break free, have faith!
Thanks, and it seems like it has already worked. The shifting works now - now I need to adjust it properly.

The next step is to get the flight deck running. properly
Old 04-04-23, 04:20 AM
Bjerager

After a couple of hours of having the sifters soaked in oil, they are now fully functioning. I changed the gear cable to the rear derailleur though, some of the black plastic cable stops on the outer cables had become brittle and was falling apart. Now it was time to set up the Flight Deck. It turned out to be quite easy to set it up - but it sure needed a lot of information, regarding tire dimensions, chainrings and so on. But it actually works flawelessly.

Beautiful old Ultegra crankset. 53-43 - the previous owner used to race as a semiprofessional - bought this as a training bike, but never came round to use it. He sure meant bussiness with that size of chainrings. I'm considering finding a set of new chainrings - 39-52 is more in line with a fifty-three year old guy like me.

Gotta love this Ultegra rear derailleur. Used to have af bike with it back in the days, but also had a bike with a Dura Ace 7700 front and rear derailleur. And beside being perhaps the most beautifull derailleur ever made it worked just marvelously. I suppose it is compatible with the Ultegra Flight Deck? Anyway 12-23 is a bit hard on my old knees, a change to a 12-25 or a 12-27 would be a good idea.

Don't see that size of tires often around here - 700x22c, There is room for a 700x23C, but probably not a size 25C. Very narrow frame. Nice tires, though, no cracks even though they are 25 years old.
Likes For Bjerager:
Old 04-04-23, 01:13 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 967 Times in 641 Posts
Very rare and lovely altec 2 aluminium frame from cinelli,perfectly finished and well equipped congrats on your purchase
Old 04-20-23, 10:00 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
That is a stunner of a bike. I don't care what it's made out of--it's a Cinelli, and nicely appointed at that.
Likes For smd4: