Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Strength and quality difference of vintage rims vs. modern box rims (MA2 vs. TB14)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Strength and quality difference of vintage rims vs. modern box rims (MA2 vs. TB14)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-23, 09:14 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 161 Posts
I'll add, even though I'm on sew-ups, my impression is that the Mavic reflexes are holding up better than any of the Super Champions I started out on or the early non-machined Mavics: GL330, GEL280, and even GP4.
Old 04-21-23, 09:44 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by J_Climacus
This is supremely helpful. And I find myself in a remarkably similar position. I have an '84 Trek 520 with cantis that I want to build up, and a spare pair of Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass 35mm tires. Since the Trek was designed for 27" wheels, I reckon that I could probably fit a 35 tire in there with the space I gain from switching to 700c (it came stock with 27"x1 1/14"). Plus, the TB14s are already built using a Campy 9 speed-compatible cassette, and I have a spare Campy "racing triple" 9 speed drivetrain. So if I put the MA2s on the Masi, I could use the TB14s for the Trek, which would still be badass and would allow me to get those beefy tires in there. It requires building the MA2s vs. using the already-built TB14s, but such is life.

I think I may be landing on a conclusion here, but I'd also note that I wasn't aware of the Brevets and those look really sharp too. The sticker, if I didn't know any better, already would have struck me as being from the 70s.
The Brevet sticker really does look fit for the '70s. The 32H versions are in stock on their website and the 36H's are sold out, a reversal of sorts since the always-popular 32H's are constantly sold out.

This guy on Pedal Room has 700x35 tires on his 1984 Trek 520. Vertical clearance is not enough to run 35s with fenders it looks like, but there's always other bikes that can be used for rain duty. My 720 is a touring bike but I don't load it up or be-fender it--only fast, comfortable riding. The 620 gets fenders, haha.
Old 04-21-23, 10:02 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
I would if I could, but it's already with the framebuilder. I'll take photos of the finished product though. I bought it off Ebay and the seller didn't disclose the frame damage, so I actually only had it in my possession for a day. I suspected the frame damage when it arrived, took it to someone more qualified to have it assessed, and it's been with them awaiting repair ever since. Probably could have tried returning it, but shipping it back overseas, etc seemed like such a hassle, so I just decided that life gave me a lemon so I might as well make lemonade. Besides, it's a damn cool frame, and 1978 was the only year Masi did the simple, non-flagged downtube decals, which IMO makes it even more cool.

To all the purists, don't worry: I have a Carlsbad-built '74 GC and it's staying perfectly unmolested
the "no flags" downtube was done earlier by special order request or by decision of the supervising worker. I have owned three that way from 1975 and 1976.
I am aware of a others, earliest from late 1974.
The later 1978 or so "no flags" was because the guy could not manage the varnish fix transfers, they were running low and cut away damaged portions.
I consider these 1977-78 frames part of the "dark days", Masi USA was struggling. On some, the geometry was just darn goofy.
These were the bikes of the period that ended up in the Breaking Away movie, they used two Masi bikes, and they had different fork crowns, Fischer appearing and Cinelli MC, and while orange-red, the downtube graphics were white fill and the chainstays, Blue! Scraping the bottom of the drawer.

Sorry to read that the frame you purchased was goofed. I dislike when that happens.

Last edited by repechage; 04-21-23 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-21-23, 10:57 AM
steine13

Bikes: See my albums. I find that listing them here messes up searching.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 143 Posts
>> If you are going for indexed shifting, you will need to fit 130 mm wide hubs to accommodate the clicky-compatible hubs, hence needing to cold-set the frame.

Two ways around that, I think™ -- meaning, do some research if this interests you, to make sure, but this is solid information.

(i) 126 mm hubs will take a 7sp freewheel -- or put another way, those freewheels are available to replace the old 6 speeds. And they will be SIS/STI compatible, meaning they shift well, and you can get at least Microshift shifters for them -- bar-ends or brifters..

(ii) 126 mm freehubs exist -- SIS 6 speed compatible for example, and I believe they will fit 7speed cassettes.

Heck don't believe me, go to The Source:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
"Upgrading From 6-/7-speed (126 mm) to 8-/9-speed (130 or 135 mm)"

So if 7 speed is the limit of your greed, 126 mm is no problem.

And you can fit 8 cogs of a 9-speed cassette -- the famed "8 of 9 on 7" -- and use 9-speed STI shifters, just with an empty click and still stick with 126.
Sheldon again: "8 Of 9 On 7 -- or 9 of 10 on 7" -- so even 10-speed shifters are an option.

I wouldn't worry about spreading to 130 mm, though. People do it all the time, and bikes for a time were spaced 128 so they could run either -- no modification needed.

cheers -mathias
Old 04-21-23, 11:14 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Modern clincher rim extrusions build up easier for the wheel builder. They take tension easily & are less likely to have “hop” or lateral truing leading to uneven spoke tension. You can’t always say that about vintage.

Also modern clincher rims gave the machined sidewalls to improve braking. Pretty important safety issue here.

Wider internal volume & tubeless ready internal rim design are even more reason to go modern. No one mentioned Velocity rims yet, so I will. The A23 is a tubeless ready rim with a shallow “V” profile that is aesthetically pleasing. It can be ordered in a variety of standard finishes as well as custom anodized finishes or bare polished aluminum for an up charge.
The Velocity Quill is even wider than the A23 but would still fit your Masi. The semi-circular extrusion is really classy & these rims would give you a performance advantage over vintage rims all day long. Tubeless shock absorption, grip & flat prevention are all superior compared to tubed. If you are against tubeless due to the hassle (or some other reason), running a Quill or Pacenti Brevet rim with tubeless rim tape, latex inner tube & a really nice “open tubular” type tire could lead to a superior ride quality that is light & looks great too.
Old 04-21-23, 11:19 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
I'm wondering if some are under the impression that new model rims are better than older ones because most are using wider tires, which protect the rim better?
Old 04-21-23, 11:43 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts
This is supremely helpful. And I find myself in a remarkably similar position. I have an '84 Trek 520 with cantis that I want to build up, and a spare pair of Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass 35mm tires. Since the Trek was designed for 27" wheels, I reckon that I could probably fit a 35 tire in there with the space I gain from switching to 700c (it came stock with 27"x1 1/14"). Plus, the TB14s are already built using a Campy 9 speed-compatible cassette, and I have a spare Campy "racing triple" 9 speed drivetrain. So if I put the MA2s on the Masi, I could use the TB14s for the Trek, which would still be badass and would allow me to get those beefy tires in there. It requires building the MA2s vs. using the already-built TB14s, but such is life.

I think I may be landing on a conclusion here, but I'd also note that I wasn't aware of the Brevets and those look really sharp too. The sticker, if I didn't know any better, already would have struck me as being from the 70s.
I have an 83 520, tb14s on them but I've only got 30mms on there right now. I think there should be space for 35s but I haven't tried.
Old 04-21-23, 12:01 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I'm wondering if some are under the impression that new model rims are better than older ones because most are using wider tires, which protect the rim better?
​​​​​​

I think that is a factor.
Old 04-21-23, 12:23 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I've put tons of miles on MA-2s, and they've never given me any problems. I weigh ~155 though.
Old 04-21-23, 02:18 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I see no reason modern rims are needed for a bike with brifter shifting. I changed my 1984-ish Mondonico from 2 x 6 friction to 2 x 10 indexing, and built wheels with GP-4's. No problems since then.
Not needed but if I was going brifter and choosing between the two rims, I’d go with the wider TB14 and use the MA2 on a different build. Folks are going wider and wider on tires and a brifter set up will likely end up on a frame with more clearance and fat tires. (400+ gram vintage rims are plenty strong but these days I try not to abuse my GL330s.)
Old 04-21-23, 03:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Hi all. I have been told at times that modern rims, even modern box rims in an "old" style, are stronger and "better" than what was made 30+ years ago.
Many modern rim extrusions are heavier than vintage rim extrusions, to provide sufficient strength with low spoke count wheels that are currently popular.
Old 04-21-23, 04:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Many modern rim extrusions are heavier than vintage rim extrusions, to provide sufficient strength with low spoke count wheels that are currently popular.
I wonder if the CE specifications push this also

130 mm wide rear hubs just are designed to have drive side spokes under pretty high tension, they are "high dish" many older rims just cannot tolerate that with decent durability.

Last edited by repechage; 04-22-23 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-22-23, 09:57 AM
Caliwild

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 283 Posts
It's actually the fact that they're highly polished that makes them look off to me. The label is also modern-ish, but it's subtle and cool enough that I could live with that. If they made them in a grey anodized version, it would be *chef's kiss*
I guess it depends on the frameset. I got the TB14 polished rims for my Tommasini and it works well IMO...

Old 04-22-23, 11:42 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
The above rims look more like Archetypes to me. The TB14’s I have are more box-shaped and don’t have the decals on them.
Old 04-22-23, 02:31 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by rccardr
The above rims look more like Archetypes to me. The TB14’s I have are more box-shaped and don’t have the decals on them.
Whoops! Meant to post the TB14s... Ran out of coffee
Old 04-22-23, 02:35 PM
Caliwild

Here are the TB14s...

Old 04-23-23, 10:16 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 536 Times in 284 Posts
My Caylor rolls on 32h MA40's that I built for it 35+ years ago. No problems so far.
Old 04-23-23, 10:32 AM
J_Climacus 

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Here are the TB14s...

I should note that the reason I think the TB14s look less good for my use case is that they are already built with Miche hubs, and the hubs have a black portion running down the middle. This is the specific wheelset: https://velomine.com/products/h-plus...ampagnolo-9-12
That hub to me does look more modern. It wouldn't look totally out of place on my bike with the 2nd-gen record 9 group on it, but the group I've assembled is all silver without any carbon. I tend to think polished silver hubs will fit the build better. But if there were real structural integrity concerns with dishing an MA2 for a 130mm 9 speed hub, I would choose the set I have with TB14s and deal with how the hub looks. They still look sharp, just not quite as perfect to my eye.
Likes For J_Climacus:
Old 04-23-23, 10:44 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Anecdotally, a few years ago I built a set of 20/24 wheels on Kinlin 385 gram rims and they held up perfectly under my 155 pounds. I can't imagine putting that few spokes in a Mavic MA2.

Build the wheel properly for the design of the rim and you'll be fine, no matter old or new.

I do think it is possible that the old hard anodized rims without machined brake tracks didn't wear out from brake rub as quickly.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-23-23, 01:22 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
One would expect that there has been some development in the area of making more-accurate and thinner-walled extrusions, with newer rims likely benefiting from that in terms of cost-to-produce and strength-to-weight.

Most modern rims are taller, which opens up the closed shape of the internal volume and better resists flat-spotting.
This is important for another reason that is perhaps not so intuitive; that such a shape better resists torsional deflection along the length of the extrusion.
Torsional resistance is a big part of how a rim resists lateral loading, since one can readily see how a badly-bent rim typically shows the center of the affected area to lean toward the side that it had been bent toward. Resisting that lean by means of torsional resistance can prevent a rim from deflecting and bending laterally.

The materials aspect also plays huge, with alloys like Mavic's Maxtal better resisting plastic deformation i.e. bending/yielding. So an Open Pro rim can be more bend-resistant than a similar-looking but heavier Open Sport, Open Elite or MA3 rim made from lesser alloy.
Likes For dddd:
Old 04-23-23, 01:22 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I do think it is possible that the old hard anodized rims without machined brake tracks didn't wear out from brake rub as quickly.
The anodizing doesn't really affect the wear of the sidewalls, since the anodizing quickly wears off.
The question of whether a machined or unmachined rim will wear out faster is interesting, though...

My only measurable experience with this was when I replaced a very worn unmachined Sun CR-18 rim with a CR-18 with machined sidewalls.
The worn rim had been on my commute bike for 19 years and seen 40k to 50k miles of use.
Here's a shot of the old rim next to the shiny new rim!

I was replacing the rim because of the sidewall wear. It had become obviously concave, and I really wasn't sure how much life was left. ...besides, I had a spare in the closet, and I might as well use it. Here's a shot of the sidewall wear...

I made a tool to permit measuring sidewall thickness, and it indicated that the old rim was about 1.1mm thick just below the bead. The new rim, when measured in the same way, was about 1mm thick just below the bead. That seemed odd, but cutting the old rim (once it was removed) showed that the measurement was correct.

In this case, an unmachined CR-18 rim with at least 40,000 miles on it had a thicker sidewall than a brand new CR-18 with a machined sidewall!
That wasn't what I had expected to find!
At least the new rim looked better.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-23-23, 01:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Lol, you'll never get rich selling consumable products that never wear out!

Are the newer version a lot lighter than the old, un-machined version?
Old 04-23-23, 01:51 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
The anodizing doesn't really affect the wear of the sidewalls, since the anodizing quickly wears off.
The question of whether a machined or unmachined rim will wear out faster is interesting, though...

My only measurable experience with this was when I replaced a very worn unmachined Sun CR-18 rim with a CR-18 with machined sidewalls.
The worn rim had been on my commute bike for 19 years and seen 40k to 50k miles of use.
Here's a shot of the old rim next to the shiny new rim!

I was replacing the rim because of the sidewall wear. It had become obviously concave, and I really wasn't sure how much life was left. ...besides, I had a spare in the closet, and I might as well use it. Here's a shot of the sidewall wear...

I made a tool to permit measuring sidewall thickness, and it indicated that the old rim was about 1.1mm thick just below the bead. The new rim, when measured in the same way, was about 1mm thick just below the bead. That seemed odd, but cutting the old rim (once it was removed) showed that the measurement was correct.

In this case, an unmachined CR-18 rim with at least 40,000 miles on it had a thicker sidewall than a brand new CR-18 with a machined sidewall!
That wasn't what I had expected to find!
At least the new rim looked better.

Steve in Peoria
I don't know why you say the anodizing quickly wears off. It seems to very slowly wear off, and even very worn hard anodized rims retain dark anodizing between the high spots.

Old 04-23-23, 02:08 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Very annoying how long that it can take anodizing to wear off once it reaches a certain stage of unevenness, with uneven braking the result.
The look doesn't bother me too much, but the brakes pulsing, that's annoying.

Those kind of "hard-ano" rim treatments are quite hard and thick, tend not to wear off any too fast unless in wet riding.

I've taken road bikes with problematically-uneven braking surfaces on solo mtb rides in wet conditions, solely for the purpose of "machining" the rims back into some state of uniformity.
Braking improved dramatically on just one ride!

Old 04-23-23, 02:14 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
I don't know why you say the anodizing quickly wears off. It seems to very slowly wear off, and even very worn hard anodized rims retain dark anodizing between the high spots.

I used to have some Nisi dark anodized tubular rims with that sort of wear pattern, but the spokes pulled through the rear rim when it cracked. Not sure how many miles they had... but they showed considerably more wear than your rims.

My current experience is with MA-40's, where no trace of anodization remains. These rims must have 20 or 30 thousand miles on them when the photo was taken over 10 years ago?? Not a lot, by my standards. The anodization probably didn't last more than 5 or 10 thousand miles, but the bike gets ridden in the rain a lot too.
This is the best photo that I've got handy, and it shows the bare aluminum sidewalls on the MA-40's.

Steve in Peoria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.