Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Utrasonic Cleaner Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-23, 11:56 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 75 Posts

I'm going to try my hand at doing some ultrasonic cleaning of bike parts including:

1) Components of vintage bikes that I tinker with.

2) Cleaning of my modern bikes in some cases.

3) Maybe chain cleaning.

I'm currently considering the cleaner shown below and described in greater detail here: H&B Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have any recommendations with respect to what Ultrasonic Cleaner would be ideal?

As I see it, the main limitation with the H&B model is that the size of its tank would not permit me to clean a crank or large chainring. That said:

1) I don't know that I need to be able to clean cranks and chainrings ultrasonically. I can clean them fairly well by conventional methods and they're just going to get dirty again quickly anyhow.

2) The cost differential in going from a small tank to a tank large enough to handle cranks and chainrings is pretty significant. So too is the space implications of storing such a thing.

Old 05-01-23, 04:26 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
Harbor Freight sells identical unit for $75
Likes For jiangshi:
Old 05-01-23, 04:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
There was a thread on this a couple of years ago that went on several pages. Might be worth a quick search.
Old 05-01-23, 06:44 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
I have that same unit but under a different brand name. I think it was less than $100. Look around and you'll find the same unit selling under a bunch of different names. They are all the same and work fine.
Old 05-01-23, 06:47 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Ultrasonic cleaners are like ebikes.

You need to own your 1st one before you know what you like and want for the next one
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-01-23, 07:07 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I was on my phone when I posted above, and didn't see you were in the GWN. In Snow Pesos, I'm sure the price will be higher, and no Harbor Freight up there.
Old 05-01-23, 07:39 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
That size/model has worked fine for me with bike parts - also gets used for carb parts, jewelry, razors and knives, skate bearings.

A tip I received and have appreciated is to also get a set of Corning beakers for small parts.
Old 05-01-23, 08:35 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Some related discussion threads:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ck-please.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-formulas.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...c-cleaner.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...s-cleaner.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-formulas.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...c-cleaner.html

My tips:
  • Get a slightly larger one if possible, with the heating option. Most times the old grease just flakes off in the heated solution.
  • Simple Green Aircraft is gentler on aluminium than the regular stuff. Either way, use well-diluted.
  • One can reduce waste and tank maintenance by using plain water in the tank, with parts and a small amount of cleaning solution in zip-lock bags. Keeps the grime isolated.
  • Beware: screen-printed decals or paint-filled engravings might get loosened or damaged in the process.

Last edited by panzerwagon; 05-01-23 at 08:40 PM.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 05-01-23, 08:36 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,476 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Ultrasonic cleaners are like ebikes.

You need to own your 1st one before you know what you like and want for the next one
Ultrasonic cleaners are like ebikes; useful in some limited circumstances but not quite living up to the hype.
They will not remove heavy grease and oil deposits unless you fill them with a very strong solvent, but brushing on the same solvent with a toothbrush will do the same job much quicker. The ultrasonic cleaners work nicely for light cleaning of hard-to-reach areas such as the interiors of derailleurs and the nooks and crannies of most pedals, but be sure to re-lube afterwards.
Brent

Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-01-23, 08:38 PM
Macguyver909

Bikes: '56 Raleigh sports, 70's Raleigh International

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 21 Posts
I own two different sizes of the "generic" chinese cleaners. "Creworks" is one brand. these are available on Ebay, I have a 2l and a 10l They both do the job quite well, but are noisy and not as good as a Branson. The 2 Liter is about 70$ and the 10 liter is about 130$. They both have heaters and timers and I have been happy with the job they do. The big size is nice for the big stuff, but I use the small one about twice as much, I have also had good results doing parts 1/2 at a time with leaving some areas hanging out of the solution. I use a strong mix of Simple Green, but this will damage aluminium. These typically have a more powerful ultrasonic generator than the jewelry cleaning type.

I think the 2 liter Branson is 400 $ but the advantage is they have a variable frequency that breaks the gunk of better and are tolerable to be around when they are running.
Old 05-02-23, 06:03 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
Harbor Freight sells identical unit for $75
That's what I have. It's served me well for perhaps ten years, but I think the heater finally gave up the ghost. I can't complain.
Old 05-02-23, 06:49 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
IMO, humbly speaking, a larger one (with heat), is the better investment.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 05-02-23, 08:08 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
IMO, humbly speaking, a larger one (with heat), is the better investment.
You just say that because you have to clean 37 freewheels every day.
Old 05-02-23, 09:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
This thread reminded me to test the one that I picked up a while ago. Its a 10l "Vevor".

Its running on the kitchen counter right now and its loud.

It will eat holes in tin foil, and when running there are captivation bubbles that just hang in the tank, so I think its a good idea to shift the parts being cleaned around incase those "harmonic nodes" will erode a surface.

Only real concern I have with this unit is that is seems like the cooling fan might only run with the ultrasonics, so I'm concerned that it will over heat if I just run the heater. in practice I will start with hot water instead of trying to "slow cook" parts.

Test subjects are looking good sofar, but I think this thing has the potential to erode metal off surfaces, so I'm proceeding cautiously.
Old 05-08-23, 11:55 AM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Just poking my head here one last time to thank everyone for their help. I feel that I'm suitably armed to make and intelligent purchase and to get started on my Ultrasonic adventures.

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Beware: screen-printed decals or paint-filled engravings might get loosened or damaged in the process.
That is something that I had not considered. This will impact my plans regarding seat post, derailleurs etc. And maybe neuter the value of the Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Can you elaborate on what kinds of decals are and are not screen-printed and how I might determine which I have? I feel capable of identifying paint... I think.
Old 05-08-23, 12:54 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Harold74
Can you elaborate on what kinds of decals are and are not screen-printed and how I might determine which I have? I feel capable of identifying paint... I think.
Differentiating between the various printing types is probably beyond my expertise, but I’m sure the collective BF brains trust can fill us in.

My experience has been anecdotal with certain parts, after which I became wary of immersing anything with lettering I valued. I can’t possibly come up with any sort of rule.

One example was paint-filled flutes of a seatpost flaking out after the ultrasonic cleaner. Another was a very nice pair of shimano 600EX levers with raised lettering (some kind of vinyl decals?) that detached completely.

I’d originally purchased the ultrasonic cleaner for smaller vintage auto parts (disassembled parts of bosch fuel pumps and injection system), but it’s proven far more useful for bicycle components— chainrings, calipers, cups, cones, chains etc.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 05-08-23, 05:18 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
With my help, my wife just ordered me the HF unit. Who knew the official gift for a 40th wedding anniversary was "ultrasonic cleaners"? Well, it beats porcelain figurines or whatever Emily Post says --

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 05-08-23, 08:04 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I also use the Harbor Freight version of the one pictured in the first post. Most useful for chains, cogs and bearing sets. Works well on derailleurs and brakes too. Not necessary for cranks IMO but would be nice to have one big enough for chain rings.

I use Branson cleaning solution. Pricey but makes the heavy grease and grime easy to clean off the component after a cycle or two.

Old 05-08-23, 09:35 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
So gonna chime in here with my 2c?

I always use PB Blaster to soak and soften whatever rust, corrosion, scale, grease, grime, etc.

If you soak long enough, usually at least overnight, it will scrub off some with a wire brush.

Then I soak with brake clean.

Then I dump it in a sealed container of Evaporust, this process has always been my go to before Evaporust and I don't have an ultrasonic yet but was advised to do the same if and when I get one.

This process will always improve results no matter what else you do. And you can use some of the other things diluted in the ultrasonic with heavy duty zip locs for better results as well.

And also as always, there is no substitute for elbow grease before, during and after whatever may or may not be working.
Old 05-09-23, 01:07 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
For those of you that own a higher end ultrasonic cleaner, like a Branson, what model do you own and what are your overall thoughts on it?

If this is overreaching and considered a thread hijack, I have no problem deleting my post.
Old 05-09-23, 06:32 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
More important is how to use an ultrasonic cleaner. Proper ratio of water and solution is critical as it helps carry the sonic wave. Get it wrong and there are no waves. Parts must not touch. Never rest them in the bare bottom.

Used properly you’ll see tiny bubbles coming off the parts.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 05-09-23, 09:20 AM
Harold74

Originally Posted by The Thin Man
For those of you that own a higher end ultrasonic cleaner, like a Branson, what model do you own and what are your overall thoughts on it? If this is overreaching and considered a thread hijack, I have no problem deleting my post.
This is certainly fine by me as the OP. I'd considered asking the same thing and would welcome any advice in this regard.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 05-09-23, 08:03 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
More important is how to use an ultrasonic cleaner. Proper ratio of water and solution is critical as it helps carry the sonic wave. Get it wrong and there are no waves. Parts must not touch. Never rest them in the bare bottom.

Used properly you’ll see tiny bubbles coming off the parts.
Thanks for the rabbit hole to chase. I’ve never given a 2nd thought to cramming the cleaner full of parts and throwing an arbitrary amount of Branson solution into the mix. The quest for the perfect ultrasonic cleaning cycle… right up there with how much water to add to a 3 egg omelette, the length of time to stir a boulevardier and how loose do I pack a bowl of perique.

What, me obsess?!?!
Old 05-09-23, 10:59 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 829 Posts
I've been using a Horror Fraught ultrasonic cleaner for about a year now, mostly for cleaning gunked-up Rapidfire shifters. For most other parts, I use a Park brush, 4:1 Oil Eater, and opposable thumbs to get them clean much faster than an ultrasonic, but for items with "hidden gunk" such as Rapidfires, STI brifters, XCT jockey pulleys, raced bearings, etc. I use the ultrasonic as it can clean where I can't reach.

For gunky shifters, I first dismantle them as much as practical to expose the pawls & mechanism, and if I can I place them in a baggie with concentrated cleaner & fill the rest with plain water.

The HFT cleaner I'm using has a 480-second maximum cycle (8 minutes). After each cycle, I use a scribe or awl and try to work the stuck parts, spraying with Clean Streak to help the process along. After the parts move freely, I'll typically put it in for 5 more cycles (40 min) to get as much of the gunk out as possible - experience has cruelly taught me that stopping after only a few passes results in a re-frozen shifter in a month or so. And that's about the time the cleaner lights its error warning in an attempt to say "hey, I'm a household cleaner, not an industrial one - I'm tired, boss" so I have to unplug it for 20-30 minutes before using again.

Did you know the heater can get the water or solution so hot as to melt & warp the plastic basket? Don't ask me how I know this...

When this one dies (and it's already showing its age), I'll probably invest in an industrial-grade one big enough to handle a complete chainring.
Old 05-10-23, 08:13 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I have a CO-Z brand, same as Neal's shown in one of the threads linked above. It's 6L, looks identical to the 6L Harbor Freight job, but I think I paid right around $100 with shipping. So far so good.

As for recipes, I've used Dawn in water, Simple Green diluted and straight, Rock&Roll Miracle Red Degreaser diluted and straight. Done the baggie trick, as well as yogurt or similar tubs. Be judicious using heat with any such plastic container.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.