Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

27.5x26 wheel set on gt sensor 1.0(2012) yay or nay?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-14-21, 12:45 AM
GTSensor2012

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi there, i bought a brand new full suspension frame
it is a GT Sensor 1.0 (2012)
The recommended wheelsize is 26"

Now i have this in my mind to place 27.5 front and 26 on the rear(mullet). Could this work?

Do you think my frame can handle it? Or the increase of slack on the headtube will damage my frame in the long run?

​​​​​​Thank you for the upcoming answers

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-14-21 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-14-21, 02:28 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
What is the need for that? What will you accomplish that 26" wheels cannot? You can still find plenty of quality rims for 26" and hubs and spokes don't really care too much so long as the spacing is correct and there are tons of those and in terms of tires the options are maybe less than what they were back in the day, there are still plenty of decent 26" MTB options. I can even go and get me some high end custom Industry Nine System wheels with colored spokes and hubs in their Enduro 305 V3.

It could potentially fit but you are going to probably run into the issue of having to run much narrower tires at the front and maybe less knobby to fit. That is not something I would want. Nobody is going narrower these days and if they are they are missing out.

Also I have doubts on the brand new aspect because it is 9 years old but maybe new to you. Though if actually NIB or some dead stock at the shop that would be kinda cool but highly unlikely for a shop to do that. They would have closed that out a while back.
Old 02-14-21, 02:51 AM
GTSensor2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
What is the need for that? What will you accomplish that 26" wheels cannot? You can still find plenty of quality rims for 26" and hubs and spokes don't really care too much so long as the spacing is correct and there are tons of those and in terms of tires the options are maybe less than what they were back in the day, there are still plenty of decent 26" MTB options. I can even go and get me some high end custom Industry Nine System wheels with colored spokes and hubs in their Enduro 305 V3.

It could potentially fit but you are going to probably run into the issue of having to run much narrower tires at the front and maybe less knobby to fit. That is not something I would want. Nobody is going narrower these days and if they are they are missing out.

Also I have doubts on the brand new aspect because it is 9 years old but maybe new to you. Though if actually NIB or some dead stock at the shop that would be kinda cool but highly unlikely for a shop to do that. They would have closed that out a while back.
yes this is a deadstock, and this is my project bike atm, my budget is pretty tight for this build.
Right now i only got Frame w/ rearshock, Fork(Sr Raidon 27.5" 120mm travel), Deore m5100 group set and brake set (m6000)
​I'm from Philippines and im having a hard time to find a 32-35mm wide rim(26")
Though, a buddy of mine got 1 spare of rim and willing to sell it for me, now the idea pops on my mind, what if i could go for a mullet set up (27.5x26)
​​because even 26" tires is really hard.to find and if it is available, it is way more expensive than the 27.5" tires, (planning for a 2.35-2.5" tires F/R)

So my only concern is if i made this kinda set-up is would i encounter any problems that could lead to the destruction of my frame?
Old 02-14-21, 04:17 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
What fork are you planning to run? I'm sure somebody will come a long and do the math but I doubt the change would be extreme. Most frames can handle an extra 20mm of fork so I wouldn't be extremely concerned running a 27.5 front wheel.
Old 02-14-21, 04:31 AM
GTSensor2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
What fork are you planning to run? I'm sure somebody will come a long and do the math but I doubt the change would be extreme. Most frames can handle an extra 20mm of fork so I wouldn't be extremely concerned running a 27.5 front wheel.
I got Sr Suntour Raidon 120mm travel (27.5) as my fork, should i not be worry if i will do this 27.5/26 set up?
Old 02-14-21, 08:46 AM
hsuBM
jj

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
It shouldn’t be terribly difficult to source a Sun Rhyno XL rim.

Tire choice would be a determining factor. I think most of the non-Asian world is under the impression that 26” is the easiest to find tire size in most Asian/Pacific countries. That sucks that you’re finding it difficult to source them.

It’s nice having identical sized rims so you can stock yourself up on one size of tires for emergencies like sidewall shreds.

Mullet builds really are for people with disposable money to do with one of their ten or twenty bikes as a silly side project.
Old 02-14-21, 10:04 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I totally posted this response in the wrong threat
To qualify for a classic car license plate, most states require that the car be 20 years old. That's a good place to start.

Last edited by surveyor6; 02-14-21 at 05:41 PM.
Likes For surveyor6:
Old 02-14-21, 12:43 PM
Canker

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts

The actual difference between a 26 and 27.5 is only 1inch so meh not a problem. I ran a 29er front wheel with a 29er fork on a 26er frame before and didn't die.
Old 02-14-21, 02:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by GTSensor2012
yes this is a deadstock, and this is my project bike atm, my budget is pretty tight for this build.
Right now i only got Frame w/ rearshock, Fork(Sr Raidon 27.5" 120mm travel), Deore m5100 group set and brake set (m6000)
​I'm from Philippines and im having a hard time to find a 32-35mm wide rim(26")
Though, a buddy of mine got 1 spare of rim and willing to sell it for me, now the idea pops on my mind, what if i could go for a mullet set up (27.5x26)
​​because even 26" tires is really hard.to find and if it is available, it is way more expensive than the 27.5" tires, (planning for a 2.35-2.5" tires F/R)

So my only concern is if i made this kinda set-up is would i encounter any problems that could lead to the destruction of my frame?
So you just got a frame or you are upgrading a complete bike? If I were you and it was complete, I would build it as the complete bike and not new-grade it. At least according to the internets it had XT and Fox Forx and Shox. (SP on purpose) so it is not one I would upgrade even if older, if it is brand new unridden (or barely ridden) it is good as gold (or Kashima coating)

You probably won't destroy your frame but you again will have clearance issues with wider tires granted if you are doing new forks and such you might not at the front. I am surprised 26" is hard to find in the Philippines but if you are willing to pay some shipping you can get just about anything.
Old 02-14-21, 06:23 PM
GTSensor2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
So you just got a frame or you are upgrading a complete bike? If I were you and it was complete, I would build it as the complete bike and not new-grade it. At least according to the internets it had XT and Fox Forx and Shox. (SP on purpose) so it is not one I would upgrade even if older, if it is brand new unridden (or barely ridden) it is good as gold (or Kashima coating)

You probably won't destroy your frame but you again will have clearance issues with wider tires granted if you are doing new forks and such you might not at the front. I am surprised 26" is hard to find in the Philippines but if you are willing to pay some shipping you can get just about anything.
I got my frame with a DNM 190x50 rear shock
that is all, it is not a built bike, thats why i'm assembling it base on the budget that i could shell out on my pocket, i really wanna build it with full 26 wheels but i'm running out of patience, that's why the idea of 27.5 F/26 R pops on my mind, but before i give it a go i wanna see some opinions on that kind of mixed wheel size, it would be 27.5 x 2.4" Front and 26 x 2.4" Rear,
Old 02-14-21, 06:49 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by GTSensor2012
I got Sr Suntour Raidon 120mm travel (27.5) as my fork, should i not be worry if i will do this 27.5/26 set up?
If the fork you already own is for 27.5, then the question is kinda moot. Run a 27.5 up front and see how you like it. It will run with a slacker HA, but compared to current might not be an issue. Of course, good geometry is a lot more than HA.

John
Old 02-14-21, 07:57 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
What are you trying to accomplish?

My general philosophy is: if I already OWN parts, I'll bolt up almost anything and see if I can make it work to my satisfaction. If I'm BUYING parts, I'll only pay money for stuff that are designed to work with what I already have.