Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

Ok, how ARE ergo bars supposed to be set up?

Search
Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Ok, how ARE ergo bars supposed to be set up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-22, 01:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Problem is, modern compact bars come only for a 31.8 mm clamp and nobody makes 31.8 mm quill stems.
Ebay?
Old 10-11-22, 01:37 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I didn't expect to find this. It's a compact bar, made by a company called Soma, available with a 26.0 mm clamp. https://www.jensonusa.com/Soma-Hwy-One-Handlebars

Obviously, this image shows the 31.8 mm version, and it's only available in 44cm, but . . . I'm impressed.
Old 10-12-22, 06:19 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Problem is, modern compact bars come only for a 31.8 mm clamp and nobody makes 31.8 mm quill stems.
I didn't expect to find this. It's a compact bar, made by a company called Soma, available with a 26.0 mm clamp. https://www.jensonusa.com/Soma-Hwy-One-Handlebars

Obviously, this image shows the 31.8 mm version, and it's only available in 44cm, but . . . I'm impressed.
Check over in the C&V subforum - whenever a "I'm old & need ergo/compact bars in 26mm to help my back" subject comes around, there used to be a not small list of them, unless they got discontinued over the pandemic, and HWY 1s are always at the top of it. FWIW here's mine that I've been using for more years than I care to think about...

Likes For IAmSam:
Old 10-13-22, 04:32 PM
oldbobcat

These are both really nice bends. The bit of a "belly" beneath the hoods lets the hands get closer to the levers.
Old 05-29-23, 11:47 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

I've been rocking the HWY1 bars for almost a decade at this point. Started on my SS commuter bike, currently they're moved over to my vintage road bike. Exactly the same kind of thing I was looking for: classic vintage look, but with shorter reach, better drops, and that suited more modern levers. ergo and old style bars are just horrible.
They are a 26.0 clamp as well, because they were old bikes with quill stems.
Here's some pics of them on my bikes:

Likes For the sci guy:
Old 05-29-23, 07:22 PM
oldbobcat

By the way, there is no proper way to set up "ergo" bars from the "early-brifter" period. Handlebar design went into the blind staggers around 1995 to 2005 with disasters such as on this otherwise lovely LeMond.

With too much reach and too much drop there's no attempt to relate the bar to the size of the rider. The ends of the drops are nowhere near parallel to the tops, so iif you rotate them forward to render the drops near horizontal, you can't use the top section because your hands slide down to the hoods. Then, if you slide the levers up to bring in your hands, your fingers aren't long enough to reach them from the drops. So if you rotate the bar back, as this rider has, you can't effectively grab onto the drops. My best advice is to sell them on craigslist so somebody can convert them to bullhorns for his fixie, and buy yourself a modern compact, square, or updated traditional bend.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 05-29-23 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-17-24, 10:38 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Since you led with the De Rosa, I will too.
Cropped Red and Black final on De Rosa on Flickr

Clearly these are the 10v second gen Ergos. I rode this bike within the last week and didn't like the position. I don't want to feel like the nub on the top is keeping my hands from slipping forward. One of the reasons my bars are rotated "up." I like a flat bar and not one slopping down toward the top of the hoods. I am thinking of swapping to an ergo bar, Cinelli Via.

The Pin is next with the 8V gen I Ergos.
P1050224 on Flickr

This is more comfortable for me. Again, the bar is rotated to be flat on top. I will likely go with a shorter stem. Note the greater angle of the hoods. I know there is the "right" position with the flats parallel to the ground, but I don't like the ergonomics as a result, either on the top or drops. My preference is the flats perpendicular to my arm or close.
These will be replaced during the conversion to 9V, giving me even a lower gear with a 26t ilo 23t. The replacement Ergos are the same as on the DR.
love the bike! As far as bars I would go for a compact bar rather than an ergo. Check out 3ttt, for one example, though you may have to settle for final markdown or good used product. But my Aeronovas have a flattened bar top, to add to the comfort!
Likes For Road Fan: