Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Snow Peak Coffee Drip

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Snow Peak Coffee Drip

Old 04-17-23, 01:50 PM
gpshay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow Peak Coffee Drip

Snow Peak Collapsible Coffee Drip - Compact Camping & Backpacking Gear - Stainless Steel - 4.9 oz

Has anyone used this and taken the wire legs off and on ... the legs just look problematic .. susceptible to bending while packing up my panniers .. just wondering if I would damage any of the parts rendering it unusable ? https://www.snowpeak.com/products/co...323ee31a&_ss=r
Old 04-17-23, 02:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I have no direct experience, that said the second photo shows it folded flat. Could you pack it between some other flat stuff?

Old 04-17-23, 02:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,191 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by gpshay

Snow Peak Collapsible Coffee Drip - Compact Camping & Backpacking Gear - Stainless Steel - 4.9 oz

Has anyone used this and taken the wire legs off and on ... the legs just look problematic .. susceptible to bending while packing up my panniers .. just wondering if I would damage any of the parts rendering it unusable ? https://www.snowpeak.com/products/co...323ee31a&_ss=r
I’ve not used that one directly but I’ve used something similar. I don’t think bending would be an issue but the flat sides and the open nature makes for a luke warm cup of coffee. The flat sides lock the filter so that it doesn’t flow very quickly, resulting in a long drain time. The open nature of the legs let the coffee in the cup cool quickly. I recently purchased This filter holder to replace my flat one. It squishes down fairly easily and it has fluting on the holder so that it drains a bit quicker. It also has a solid lid to keep some of the warmth inside the cup.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-17-23, 03:02 PM
gpshay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir for your response .. I will take a closer look at yours .. first con for me is I use a titanium single wall cup .. so I opted for a quilted cup coozie to help keep in the warmth in .. the "open" cup will loose a lot of heat quickly as it is slowly filling my cup ... hmmm ... I do have a silicone collapsable camping cup that also has a drinkable lid .. maybe I'd better give this a bit more thought and a little trial test here at home ... thanks a lot .. Glenn
Old 04-17-23, 04:06 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Thank you sir for your response .. I will take a closer look at yours .. first con for me is I use a titanium single wall cup .. so I opted for a quilted cup coozie to help keep in the warmth in .. the "open" cup will loose a lot of heat quickly as it is slowly filling my cup ... hmmm ... I do have a silicone collapsable camping cup that also has a drinkable lid .. maybe I'd better give this a bit more thought and a little trial test here at home ... thanks a lot .. Glenn
I have been using my Snow Peak double wall titanium cup for about a decade and a half, it is expensive but worth it.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 04-17-23 at 04:10 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 04-17-23, 04:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

I bought one of these, but I have not had an opportunity to use it yet. Thus, I can't comment on how well it works. The trip I bought it for, instead brought instant.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09X47BMVN
Old 04-17-23, 08:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,466 Times in 7,307 Posts
If you don’t mind the weight and bulk, try to find a plastic Bodum Travel Press. The larger size. (~15 Oz.) They have been discontinued. You can find a few on Amazon, but many are overpriced. Just got a new one for around $18. (Dropped my last one on the hard kitchen floor.) Keeps coffee hot to warm even in cold weather. It’s a French press coffee maker that you drink directly from. The aluminum version is easier to find.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-17-23, 08:55 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you don’t mind the weight and bulk, try to find a plastic Bodum Travel Press. The larger size. (~15 Oz.) They have been discontinued. You can find a few on Amazon, but many are overpriced. Just got a new one for around $18. (Dropped my last one on the hard kitchen floor.) Keeps coffee hot to warm even in cold weather. It’s a French press coffee maker that you drink directly from. The aluminum version is easier to find.
Yep, I use the stainless steel version. I use it all the time when I travel. I have used it for bike tours as well. Costs less than the Snow Peak and is more useful in my opinion. https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Travel-...4&sr=8-12&th=1

Likes For phughes:
Old 04-17-23, 09:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,944 Times in 2,637 Posts
I cannot speak to that product specifically as I do not drink coffee but I can say without a doubt Snow Peak makes some of the finest camping equipment out there. It is top notch some of it is super lightweight and some of it is heavy as hell but freakin' neat especially all of their cooking and eating and drinking stuff.

I personally have had between 5-10 of their ti sporks (I would have had fewer if some of them hadn't gotten lost or stolen but durability is never a concern) I have their folding cutting board and knife set, a few mugs, a pair of their screw together chopsticks which always get positive responses (technically two but one was stolen). I just bought a GigaPower stove and a really sexy ti sake cup as well as some other goods. I probably have some other SP stuff I cannot think of at the moment, I really do love it. I happily invest heavily in their stuff as it is good long lasting stuff that looks good time after time and can handle whatever you want to throw at it. Plus I had a manager at my old job who had the entire Snow Peak kitchen set it was massive and was just a super sick set up. I aspire to that one day but am not a heavy camper like that.

Ron at King Cage is currently fabricating a bunch of cages for my Snow Peak Medium Titanium Flask, he liked what he built for me so much he said let me build more and I said go for it as I like King Cage and Ron and the whole crew is super nice and honestly as much as I am spending here I am not a huge drinker but wanted a cool way to carry a little tipple. Here is the video, I cannot wait to actually get mine and my flask back but not pressuring him he has to finish some delicious locally made rum as well:
Hit King Cage up if you are interested hopefully this product is a hit, he was super excited and I am super excited and once I saw the video I was jumping around like a lunatic it beat all expectations.
Old 04-17-23, 11:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,191 Times in 2,352 Posts
Titanium isn’t a bad metal for a cup. Mine is double walled but titanium transmits heat poorly overall so it makes for a better cup than aluminum or steel. Plastic like silicone is even better but it feels weird to me.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-17-23, 11:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
To me that 40 USD Snow Peak Collapsible looks like a failure from the get go start... I would go with a small light weight coffee press like the

Zyliss HotMug Travel French Press

Note: All hail the US Army Guard Duty Coffee: C-Rat or MRE packet of instant coffee in the front lip, Packet of Creamer in the right cheek, Packet of Sugar in the left cheek. Then ya just kinda mix um up as they leak and dissolve. COFFEE GOOD! Falling asleep on guard duty is not recommended... Ha

Last edited by zandoval; 04-17-23 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-18-23, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phughes
Yep, I use the stainless steel version. I use it all the time when I travel. I have used it for bike tours as well. Costs less than the Snow Peak and is more useful in my opinion.
I’m now wondering how much it weighs compared to the plastic version, which is double walled.
Old 04-18-23, 06:47 AM
staehpj1

Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I've tried a french press and also various instant coffees. The press was okat and most of the instants were terrible, but a few are passible IMO. I generally am a starbucks hater, but their Via is pretty good. Alpine Start isn't bad either.

I have generally taken Via when backpacking. When touring I have usually just stopped at a diner for second breakfast coffee or done without when that didn't work out. I NEVER miss my coffee when at home, but on tour if I miss a day here and there it isn't a big deal.

BTW, I find powdered creamer to be pretty universally terrible. The best I have found is Nido (powdered whole milk). It is also nice to have along for cereal, cooking, or just drinking. It tastes pretty good especially if cold and allowed to sit a bit after mixing. A cold mountain stream facilitates that.
Old 04-18-23, 07:53 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
My 8 ounce plastic Bodum coffee press started making grainy coffee so I replaced the "press" section with a single cup Melita drip cone, complete with paper filters. Not foldable, but hey! I'm the guy who carried a floor pump across the USA on a BOB trailer!

Likes For BobG:
Old 04-18-23, 07:57 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
We typically drink instant coffee on tour. If I were inclined to brew actual coffee on tour I'd use an aeropress. Easiest way to get great coffee every time and packs compact mostly inside a cup.
Old 04-18-23, 10:43 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BobG
My 8 ounce plastic Bodum coffee press started making grainy coffee so I replaced the "press" section with a single cup Melita drip cone, complete with paper filters. Not foldable, but hey! I'm the guy who carried a floor pump across the USA on a BOB trailer!

I remember how much you needed your coffee.
Old 04-18-23, 11:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

On a bike tour, I usually just bring instant. Usually mix some instant espresso with some plain instant coffee that might have been on sale in the store, mix is usually 50/50 espresso to instant coffee.

The French press in post 5 above is a vintage GSI one that I have had for at least a decade and a half. I bring that on canoe trips where pack volume and weight is less of an issue.

My Snow Peak double wall mug is labeled as 450ml. Usually have two cups in the morning.
Old 04-18-23, 11:21 AM
phughes

I’m now wondering how much it weighs compared to the plastic version, which is double walled.
About .27 lbs. I greatly prefer the stainless steel model. It takes a beating. I have no worries about it when traveling.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-18-23, 03:24 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
GSI makes a little, plastic mesh, filter holder about the size of the Melita single cup item above. It weighs about 20 grams.
That said, on tours, I drink tea. Hot water, poured through a strainer with some loose tea in it makes a cup. Cleanup is just pitch the used tea into the fire pit. It is fast, simple, and easy.
Old 04-18-23, 03:39 PM
indyfabz

About .27 lbs. I greatly prefer the stainless steel model. It takes a beating. I have no worries about it when traveling.
4.3 Oz.! Wow! No doubt it weighs less than my plastic one.I’ll probably order one the next time I purchase something from Amazon.
Old 04-18-23, 06:16 PM
phughes

4.3 Oz.! Wow! No doubt it weighs less than my plastic one.I’ll probably order one the next time I purchase something from Amazon.
No, I meant .27 lbs is the difference between the two, in answer to your question. Sorry to be unclear. THe stainless steel one weighs in at .9 lbs according to Amazon, and the plastic one I saw is .63 lbs. I don't thinkt he few ounces would bother me. It hasn't so far. I never even considered the plastic one.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-18-23, 06:36 PM
indyfabz

No, I meant .27 lbs is the difference between the two, in answer to your question. Sorry to be unclear. THe stainless steel one weighs in at .9 lbs according to Amazon, and the plastic one I saw is .63 lbs. I don't thinkt he few ounces would bother me. It hasn't so far. I never even considered the plastic one.
ok. I failed to realize how I phrased my previous post.

The few extra ounces wouldn’t bother me, especially in return for greater durability. I don’t think they made the SS version when I got my first plastic one, and I just stuck with plastic assuming it was much liter.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-18-23, 06:52 PM
phughes

ok. I failed to realize how I phrased my previous post.

The few extra ounces wouldn’t bother me, especially in return for greater durability. I don’t think they made the SS version when I got my first plastic one, and I just stuck with plastic assuming it was much liter.
Yeah well, after rereading your question, I realized I was very unclear with my answer.
Old 04-18-23, 07:43 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
I just bought this one: Primula brew buddy. It works pretty decent but it takes a long time to slowly pour the water through the coffee. Clean up is pretty easy and no paper filters necessary.

Old 04-19-23, 07:20 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I just bought this one: Primula brew buddy. It works pretty decent but it takes a long time to slowly pour the water through the coffee. Clean up is pretty easy and no paper filters necessary.

Brew buddy
I used this on my last camping trip. I just used it as an immersion brew instead of a pour-over. Worked a treat, packs flat, cheap.
Likes For Smitty2k1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.