Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

When should I dis/engage the derailleur clutch?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-10-23, 10:00 AM
flocsy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

Hi,

I bought a Scott Scale 980 with Shimano Deore M6100 1x12 derailleur. In the shop I asked about the clutch, because I didn't have it on my previous bike. The guy who sold me the bike told me that he usually disengages it, but when I asked for the reason he couldn't really tell me why.

So what is the best practice? Should I really only engage it on rough terrain? Does that enlengthen the life time? Or should I engage it all the time and only disable it when I need to remove the wheel?
Old 05-10-23, 10:05 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
I predominantly only ride my MTB offroad and have yet to disengage it. The few times I've ridden it on road or smooth path it never even occurred to me, I kinda forget its there but I do notice my chainstay isn't looking banged up. Doubt its worth the effort to add one more thing to think about, just ride it and move on.
Old 05-10-23, 11:42 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 840 Posts
Just when replacing rear wheel. I read a report where it is more efficient engaged for some reason i don’t remember why tho
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-10-23, 03:23 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Leave it engaged. No benefit to disengage it.

Clutch keeps tension on the train and prevents chain slap and prevents the chain from dropping when riding rough terrain.
Old 05-10-23, 03:35 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
The primary function of the clutch is to keep the chain on a single front chainring. (It can also help with chain-slap.)

I've never met one that I liked. I also typically have 2 front chainrings, so I don't need it. It makes shifting rougher and less responsive.

I always turn it off, or take it out, or whatever.

It is just one more little piece to go wrong. It often does. It is considered a consumable part.
Old 05-12-23, 02:35 AM
LJR69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're riding a lot of gnarly dh, tabletop jumps and drops then the clutch will help keep the chain on the chainring and reduce chain slap. I never disengage mine unless I'm removing the rear wheel. It's rider preference really.
Old 05-12-23, 06:44 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I had picked up a stick in in my rear derailleur which flipped the clutch off. Boy was the chain slap noisy over the roots. I thought I’d had broken something.
Old 05-12-23, 06:58 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
I switched to a clutch derailleur for my cross bike and it was a game changer. I have not dropped the chain in a race since. I only disengage it to take out the rear wheel.
Old 06-22-23, 05:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
The only time I have disengaged the clutch on my GRX rear derailleur is when I remove the rear wheel. I have heard that shifting might be a bit smoother with it off on smooth roads, but it is already so good with the clutch on I just leave it that way
Old 06-27-23, 11:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The primary reason to have a clutch is to lessen the likelihood of dropping the chain from a 1X front chainring. The secondary reason is to lessen chain slap.

If you have a 2X front, I would disengage it.

If it annoys you (eg rough shifting), I would disengage it. You will probably have to re-adjust your rear derailleur, which makes flipping it on and off frequently a PITA.

I personally hate clutches and seem to ruin them frequently.
Old 06-27-23, 11:41 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The primary function of the clutch is to keep the chain on a single front chainring. (It can also help with chain-slap.)

I've never met one that I liked. I also typically have 2 front chainrings, so I don't need it. It makes shifting rougher and less responsive.

I always turn it off, or take it out, or whatever.

It is just one more little piece to go wrong. It often does. It is considered a consumable part.
Oops.
Old 06-27-23, 12:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4919 Post(s)
Liked 8,026 Times in 3,796 Posts
I have a GRX derailleur on my 1x gravel bike. With the clutch on, shifting seems slower and requires more effort. Because of this, I ride with the clutch off. I haven't had an issue with dropping the chain.
Old 06-28-23, 03:18 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I found that if a user has a hard tail mountain bike with the Shimano clutch like the Deore or better, and they don't actually mountain bike, but ride mainly gravel trails....They "may" like shifting it better with the clutch off.

Ok, this might open a can of worms with some people.

With the clutch off, it may for some shift easier and smoother. I say may, since it really depends on a personal preference. Shifting has a lighter action when the clutch is off.

If you are actually riding single track trails, grow your thumb muscles and engage the clutch!
Old 07-01-23, 09:27 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I found that if a user has a hard tail mountain bike with the Shimano clutch like the Deore or better, and they don't actually mountain bike, but ride mainly gravel trails....They "may" like shifting it better with the clutch off.

Ok, this might open a can of worms with some people.

With the clutch off, it may for some shift easier and smoother. I say may, since it really depends on a personal preference. Shifting has a lighter action when the clutch is off.

If you are actually riding single track trails, grow your thumb muscles and engage the clutch!
I find this is true for down shifting (to a larger cog). The shift at the lever feels the same, but you feel a tad less resistance at the pedals at the shift completes. For the most part, though, I can't really tell either way. I notice it on the bike stand, but not when riding.
Likes For Kapusta: