Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crack or Scratch? How to tell, definitively?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-01-20, 09:52 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts

I'm cleaning a friends bike, an aluminum Trek frame. She was in a serious crash last year, apparently hit from behind by a car (I didn't know her then), and since then she's had the bike into a local shop where she said amazingly there was only 30 euro worth of damage done to it (whereas she was in the hospital w/a 10hr surgery and titanium plates in her shoulder, multiple fractures, etc.).

Anyway... she hasn't ridden since then, but is now recovered and is looking to get back onto the bike, and wanted me to give it a clean and a once-over. I rode it for a short distance (just standing on the pedals), something didn't "feel right" to me, though I put that down to the fact I'm 6'1" and it's a 50cm frame, with a tiny stem, female-specific geometry, and is a bit top-heavy as she's got stuff all over it (saddle bag, frame pump, etc).

If there was something wrong with it, I'd have expected the shop to find it. But you never know.

It looks to be in fine shape, quite clean even (compared to most bikes friends drop in to me to go through). But the #1 thing I always do is clean clean clean and try to reveal anything odd... and here's what I've found:

Do any of you have experience with similar "could be just an ugly scratch" on an aluminum frame, on the downtube near the BB? You can feel it with your fingernail.

Also, does anyone have experience with Trek's warranty / customer service? She probably still has a record of the purchase (via CC or similar), I don't think the bike is more than a couple years old.

I'm aware when aluminum "goes", there's no warnings (unlike steel).

I'm going to suggest she drop it in to another shop that I trust, for a second opinion. She's (reasonably) going to be a bit nervous getting out on the road again.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, and info!
Old 11-01-20, 09:53 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

On second look at the posted photos, it really does look like a crack.
Old 11-01-20, 09:58 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
If she was in a crash there is no way the warranty will cover anything at all.

To me, when I click on the pictures and enlarge, it does only look like scratches, but in order to check if it just is such a thing, I don't see any way other than to sand it down to see if you can remove it. If it's impossible to get to the "bottom of the scratch", it is not a scratch, but a fracture.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-01-20, 10:01 AM
ridelikeaturtle

I don't suppose there's an ultrasound test or similar that'd work on an aluminum frame (like for carbon)?
Old 11-01-20, 10:03 AM
Skulking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 39 Posts
If you really want a definitive answer, you can always try and find someone who does Non Destructive Testing (NDT) and have them check it probably with either X-Ray or Ultrasound. Typically something like that would be used for a more industrial purpose like checking weld penetration on a critical part. I'm not sure if you would actually be able to find someone to do it for a bike frame. Something like that is really the only way to be absolutely certain though.
Likes For Skulking:
Old 11-01-20, 10:05 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

You could x-ray the frame, but do you really want to do that?

What makes me think it's scratches is the way the paint is chipped along the lines, but also the fact that it is only on the non-drive side where something could hit (an spd-shoe with a sharp edge or something like that). It is way cheaper and easier than X-ray to sand it down to check.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-01-20, 10:12 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
To me, they look to be scratches. You could sand the area down to see, but I really do not think they are cracks.
Likes For phughes:
Old 11-01-20, 10:17 AM
Davespix

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
From these pictures it does look like the paint is scratched not cracked since the edges of the paint are pushed In rather than cracked from below. To be sure I’d sand it with 320 or 400 grit sandpaper Then repaint or put a sticker over it.
Likes For Davespix:
Old 11-01-20, 10:28 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
It can be dye checked but the paint would need to be removed. Once the paint is sanded off the crack would show regardless.
Likes For davidad:
Old 11-01-20, 11:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Find a firmly mounted vice or place to clamp the other end of the tube. Wrap with a big piece of something to protect the finish. Grab the chainstay and top of seat tube and put some bending and torsional stress on it. If it doesn't open up, it's just a scratch.

I have trouble imagining a scratch running like that, but I can't imagine a crack running like that either, especially where it goes through the weld.

I lean toward it being a scratch.

Trying to find someone to do other types of non-destructive testing will be next to impossible. And, it'll cost more than is worth being spent on a bike.

edit..... You have rubbed on it and tried to clean it haven't you? Looking back the second time it looks suspiciously like threads of tire sealant that sometime get on my bike and stick a little before coming off.

Last edited by Iride01; 11-01-20 at 11:05 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-01-20, 11:19 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Originally Posted by Iride01
Find a firmly mounted vice or place to clamp the other end of the tube. Wrap with a big piece of something to protect the finish. Grab the chainstay and top of seat tube and put some bending and torsional stress on it. If it doesn't open up, it's just a scratch.
edit..... You have rubbed on it and tried to clean it haven't you? Looking back the second time it looks suspiciously like threads of tire sealant that sometime get on my bike and stick a little before coming off.
Yep, I've cleaned it up a bit (matte black shows any kind of dust), I was hoping it was something like residue or road grime; but yeah I'm also leaning towards scratch, not crack.

But I'm still going to suggest visiting a higher-end shop if there's any doubts, if for no other reason than to have a more experienced mechanic put a second pair of eyes on it.
Old 11-01-20, 12:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Looks like a scratch. Especially as it involves the weld as well as the tube. Cracks would tend to follow the weld and not meander like that one. A little fine emery cloth, clean it up for a better look, and see if it is surface or through, touch up the paint..
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-01-20, 01:24 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
The shape suggests me it's a scratch.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-03-20, 09:58 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I'm cleaning a friends bike, an aluminum Trek frame. She was in a serious crash last year, apparently hit from behind by a car (I didn't know her then), and since then she's had the bike into a local shop where she said amazingly there was only 30 euro worth of damage done to it (whereas she was in the hospital w/a 10hr surgery and titanium plates in her shoulder, multiple fractures, etc.).

Anyway... she hasn't ridden since then, but is now recovered and is looking to get back onto the bike, and wanted me to give it a clean and a once-over. I rode it for a short distance (just standing on the pedals), something didn't "feel right" to me, though I put that down to the fact I'm 6'1" and it's a 50cm frame, with a tiny stem, female-specific geometry, and is a bit top-heavy as she's got stuff all over it (saddle bag, frame pump, etc).

If there was something wrong with it, I'd have expected the shop to find it. But you never know.

It looks to be in fine shape, quite clean even (compared to most bikes friends drop in to me to go through). But the #1 thing I always do is clean clean clean and try to reveal anything odd... and here's what I've found:

Do any of you have experience with similar "could be just an ugly scratch" on an aluminum frame, on the downtube near the BB? You can feel it with your fingernail.

Also, does anyone have experience with Trek's warranty / customer service? She probably still has a record of the purchase (via CC or similar), I don't think the bike is more than a couple years old.

I'm aware when aluminum "goes", there's no warnings (unlike steel).

I'm going to suggest she drop it in to another shop that I trust, for a second opinion. She's (reasonably) going to be a bit nervous getting out on the road again.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts, and info!
The upper one looks like a scratch to me. The one shown at the BB could be either - however, the fact that it meanders across tube and weld without any obvious difference suggests to me that is is also a scratch. If the frame had been torqued sufficiently to cause a crack, I might have expected the crack to behave differently as it traversed different materials, thicknesses, etc - maybe run along a weld, for example. However, all this is purely speculative and worth the pixels it’s printed on.
If this were my bike, I’d get to the bottom of it - literally and figuratively - by sanding down the paint to bare metal and determining definitively what you’re dealing with. If a crack, investigate a repair or suck up the cost of a new frame. If a scratch, fill in the divot and respray the area. If it matches, great, if not, no matter. It’s a battle scar. God knows your friend is likely to have a few (and hats off to her for wanting to get back out on the bike). Absolutely nothing wrong with her bike having a few scars.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 11-03-20, 12:56 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
To me it looks like something hit that, maybe during the accident, enough to damage the paint and outer surface of the metal.
If you have some bikes available, you could try tapping the area on this frame and in the same place on other frames and listening to the sound it makes. I have never attempted it on a bike frame, but just like a musical instruments any slight defect can change a bright sound into one with a duller note.
Likes For Geepig:
Old 11-03-20, 02:09 PM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Looks like a scratch. Especially as it involves the weld as well as the tube. Cracks would tend to follow the weld and not meander like that one. A little fine emery cloth, clean it up for a better look, and see if it is surface or through, touch up the paint..
I was going to suggest something along these lines. Another vote for scratch.

Plus, you can see metal below, it kinda looks like paint was scratched as a crack would likely look a bit more closed up.

Looks like the many things I have accidentally scratched with a frayed piece of wire rope.
Old 11-03-20, 05:59 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Old 11-03-20, 06:08 PM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Looks like a scratch or possibly like a hair of fiber under the paint. I wouldn't do anything to it.
Old 11-03-20, 06:58 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 1saxman
[...]possibly like a hair of fiber under the paint. I wouldn't do anything to it.
LOL, you need to click through on the pictures (two clicks). It's not a hair or fiber under the paint. The paint is gone. It looks like a scratch the way the paint has peeled off.
Old 11-03-20, 07:04 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Looks like a scratch to me. I don't think a crack in Al would propagate that way.
Old 11-04-20, 12:04 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Scratch, based on the squiggly shape and how it crosses the weld. Looks more like someone scraped it with a tool or another bike's pedal.
Old 11-04-20, 07:36 AM
1saxman

Bikes: Trek 930 (1992), Motobecane Hybrid w/juice brakes, spring fork and Shimano 8-spd hub.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
LOL, you need to click through on the pictures (two clicks). It's not a hair or fiber under the paint. The paint is gone. It looks like a scratch the way the paint has peeled off.
LOL! It was merely a suggestion - we're not voting here on what it could be and there will be no winner. You see what you want and I'll see what I want.
Old 11-04-20, 08:54 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 1saxman
LOL! It was merely a suggestion - we're not voting here on what it could be and there will be no winner. You see what you want and I'll see what I want.
Yes, but have you clicked on the photos to have a closer look? There's a (slight) chance it's a crack, a bigger chance it's scratches, but no chance it is a hair or fibre caught under the paint as the paint is not there.