Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Good deal on a bike with a problem

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 04:10 AM
Simonberserker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
I spotted a very good deal on a roadbike. The thing is that the adverts says there is one spoke missing from the back wheel. And that the shifting needs to be adjusted. Are these big problems that i should avoid. Or is this easily fixable
Old 11-03-20, 05:01 AM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
got a friend that could help?

The description indicates the current owner can't fix it himself and has discovered a couple hours work by a shop mechanic not worth it. Unless the bike is worth over $300 I would steer clear unless you have someone with more experience who can give you some help. Learning to work on bikes is actually fun but the self-taught early lessons care not cheap!
Old 11-03-20, 05:03 AM
Simonberserker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
The description indicates the current owner can't fix it himself and has discovered a couple hours work by a shop mechanic not worth it. Unless the bike is worth over $300 I would steer clear unless you have someone with more experience who can give you some help. Learning to work on bikes is actually fun but the self-taught early lessons care not cheap!
The bike is worth around 850 and is being advertised at 500 euros. So even with the shop work i think it might be worth it.
Old 11-03-20, 05:12 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Simonberserker
The bike is worth around 850 and is being advertised at 500 euros. So even with the shop work i think it might be worth it.
If the rim is not bent, a missing spoke is not a big issue and extremely cheap to replace if you do it by yourself and it's a normal spoke. If it's a special type of spoke it probably is a bit more expensive but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Regarding the shifting, as long as it's misadjusted and nothing is broken or needs replacing, you can do it yourself for free in a few minutes.
Old 11-03-20, 05:16 AM
Simonberserker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
If the rim is not bent, a missing spoke is not a big issue and extremely cheap to replace if you do it by yourself and it's a normal spoke. If it's a special type of spoke it probably is a bit more expensive but shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Regarding the shifting, as long as it's misadjusted and nothing is broken or needs replacing, you can do it yourself for free in a few minutes.
I think ill ask a friend to help me do these things at home. Thanks for the advice everyone
Old 11-03-20, 06:28 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Although the OP has made a decision, I need to interject a thought about the missing spoke. Why is the spoke missing? Was it removed after it broke? If that is the case this is a good indication of more to come as the spokes are reaching fatigue limits. A new wheel may be in the near future.
Old 11-03-20, 06:37 AM
Simonberserker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Although the OP has made a decision, I need to interject a thought about the missing spoke. Why is the spoke missing? Was it removed after it broke? If that is the case this is a good indication of more to come as the spokes are reaching fatigue limits. A new wheel may be in the near future.
Buyer says it broke and he removed it. He did not ride on the bike afterwards. The bike has only done around 1200km.
Old 11-03-20, 06:45 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I would budget around $80 for one of these, to be purchased along with the replacement spoke. This device will allow you to even out the tension on the wheel so that hopefully no more spokes break.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...ion-meter-tm-1

Last edited by Lemond1985; 11-03-20 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-03-20, 06:50 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I think ill ask a friend to help me do these things at home. Thanks for the advice everyone

Congratulations new bike owner. It sounds like you have grabbed that tiger by the tail! All that needs to be done is wrestle him to the ground.
Old 11-03-20, 06:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3663 Post(s)
Liked 5,410 Times in 2,748 Posts
The bike is worth around 850....
How do you know this? Also the shifting could indicate a problem much worse than a broken spoke. May be more needed than an adjustment.
Old 11-03-20, 07:01 AM
Simonberserker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
How do you know this? Also the shifting could indicate a problem much worse than a broken spoke. May be more needed than an adjustment.
The bike can still be bought new from decathlon. For 850 euros.
Old 11-03-20, 07:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Not enough description to determine if it would be a good deal or a money-pit. A simple broken spoke is easy to fix — if that's really all it is. Are the other spokes on the verge of failure as well? Is the rim warped beyond redemption? A simple cable tension adjustment will fix many shifting problems, but that might not be the root of the issue. Are the shifters worn out or broken? Are the derailleurs damaged?

Bottom line: how competent are you at diagnosing the problems and fixing them yourself? If it's such an easy fix, why is the current owner selling the bike with those problems unaddressed?
Old 11-03-20, 07:37 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I would budget around $80 for one of these, to be purchased along with the replacement spoke. This device will allow you to even out the tension on the wheel so that hopefully no more spokes break.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/p...ion-meter-tm-1
I don't think it's necessary for a single spoke. It's not like he has to rebuild the whole wheel. Just mounting the new spoke and making sure the wheel is straight should be enough,
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-03-20, 08:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The bike can still be bought new from decathlon. For 850 euros.
That does not mean that this one is "worth" 850 euros. Bicycles depreciate fairly quickly and second hand ones do not have any warranty. Given the defects, I would say that 500 euros is too high a price for this bike
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-03-20, 08:54 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
If the bike hasn't been purchased yet a wise move would be to take someone with you that has some bike knowledge. I would be suspicious of someone selling a bike that in the best case scenario would be an easy fix (new spoke, shifting adjustment) that would raise the selling price a bit for the seller. Rim could have a crack at the spoke hole not prominent with spoke removed, shifting just needs adjustment or is something damaged? Could be perfectly fine and an easy fix but it's a gamble unless you have someone with experience to check it out.
Old 11-03-20, 08:57 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
It's likely the broken spoke is on the drive side of the rear wheel. If so, you'll need the tools and skills to remove the rear cassette. The tools are inexpensive and most home mechanics will have them.

And if so, check the rest of the spokes on the outside of that flange for damage from the chain shifting into the spokes. It's easy enough and minimal extra cost to replace multiple spokes. (And that could be a symptom of the shifting problem as well.)

One possible cause of the shifting issue could be a bent rear derailleur hanger. That's another special tool for diagnosis and fix, which most home mechanics don't have.
Old 11-03-20, 09:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I'd budget $30 for the LBS to replace the spoke, tension and true the wheel.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-03-20, 10:32 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Have to wonder if BF shouldn't have a Ritalin detector attached to the keyboard that would prevent people from posting if their levels are low.
Old 11-03-20, 12:15 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
If the bike hasn't been purchased yet a wise move would be to take someone with you that has some bike knowledge. I would be suspicious of someone selling a bike that in the best case scenario would be an easy fix (new spoke, shifting adjustment) that would raise the selling price a bit for the seller. Rim could have a crack at the spoke hole not prominent with spoke removed, shifting just needs adjustment or is something damaged? Could be perfectly fine and an easy fix but it's a gamble unless you have someone with experience to check it out.
Best advice so far. Someone with a reasonable amount of experience about bike repair will be able to give you a idea of the extent of the problem with the wheel and shifting. They may be able to see if there is anything that is visibly wrong. Not foolproof, but a good step.
Old 11-03-20, 12:44 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'd budget $30 for the LBS to replace the spoke, tension and true the wheel.
I had a LBS fix a broken spoke on a rear wheel 2 months ago and it was exactly how much they charged. This is in San Jose, CA.
Old 11-03-20, 05:51 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I'd go to view the bike and see who is selling it. It can be a pointer sometimes. You look at the person, at the place they are selling it from and what their explanation for their selling unfixed bike is (you will hear more lengthy explanation face to face), and you might have your suspicions alleviated or raised. Like if you see a garage with tools, even if they are for car fixing, you know that that's somebody who fixes their stuff to forgo expensive outside service and with such people I'd be more careful.

And having someone with you is always better, even if it is not any bike expert but if it is, so much the better.
Old 11-03-20, 06:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Been wrenching in a bike shop since 1982. My experience with a broken spoke is the same with a deer crossing the road. Where's there one, there are more to come. I guarantee more spokes will break sooner than later. Spoke tension is one thing, but that is unlikely the issue.
Old 11-03-20, 08:13 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
When someone says "simple fix", I think "then why didn't you do it?". I think all of the fixes I've done on used bikes ended up about 5x the "simple fix" estimate. Repack hub ends up scored bearing cup so replace wheel, etc. I'm a good wrench so I'm just talking parts. I now offer pretty low and will happily walk away from a bike needing work. 15x estimate for a french bike, in fact I won't even bother with those anymore. Live and learn.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 11-04-20, 07:18 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
After mulling this thread around for a day I'm starting to smell money pit.
Old 11-04-20, 09:16 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
OP,
Very hard to evaluate anything without some pictures....
Why not post a few of them?
Best, Ben