Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Barbell Recommendations?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Barbell Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-23, 04:04 PM
force10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Barbell Recommendations?

Looking to get more strength training in my routine and am adding a squat rack to my exercise room. Primarily looking for a bar for squatting and deadlifts at relatively light weights.

Most barbell information out there is geared towards weightlifters who squat over 400 pounds and am wondering if some other cyclists have recommendations for a 50 year old cyclist just looking to lift in support of cycling. I dont imagine I'd ever lift anything over 250 pounds.

Bar diameter/material(coating) and center knurling have got me going in circles. Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by force10; 06-03-23 at 04:05 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-04-23, 05:33 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I use fixed weight dumbbells, fast to change weight (by picking up lighter/heavier ones) and don't need as much actual movement room. There is the storage issue, but there are some adjustables, like PowerBlocks and the like, that can solve that. I'm 64 and don't lift as heavy as I did 30 years ago. However, I substitute greater range of motion to make the lighter weight more effective.
Old 06-04-23, 08:49 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by force10
Looking to get more strength training in my routine and am adding a squat rack to my exercise room. Primarily looking for a bar for squatting and deadlifts at relatively light weights.

Most barbell information out there is geared towards weightlifters who squat over 400 pounds and am wondering if some other cyclists have recommendations for a 50 year old cyclist just looking to lift in support of cycling. I dont imagine I'd ever lift anything over 250 pounds.

Bar diameter/material(coating) and center knurling have got me going in circles. Any thoughts appreciated.
There are two types of bars out there. Olympic style bars and standard bars. Olympic style bars are heavier, longer, have thicker ends which are mounted on bearings that allows the plates to spin. These are heavy duty bars designed for Olympic style lifting and professional power lifting and they can handle very heavy weights, they're also a lot more expensive. The standard bars are a little bit shorter and the ends are the the same diameter as the rest of the bar. The standard bars are also very strong and can easily handle up to 400++ pounds of plates. The standard bars are more than enough for majority of people who just work out for general fitness and strength. Most squat racks are designed for use with wider Olympic style bars. so if you do get standard bars make sure that they are wide enough for whatever type of squat rack you plan on getting.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-04-23, 07:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I've only lifted with regular gym equipment, meaning Olympic style bars. I like them very much. I wouldn't like center knurling for sure. My neck/back joint gets enough abuse as it is. Besides looking at bar length, you might look for sources of plates and their prices. Of course you'll need plates with a center hole size to suit your bar or vice versa. You might want collars for your bar though I don't use them. There's also bar diameter. An Olympic bar is 28mm or 1.1" in diameter, which is quite comfortable. I wouldn't like a smaller bar. I think most relatively inexpensive bars are chromed, fine. The plates will be a lot more money than the bar..
Old 06-04-23, 09:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Hit the garage sale/Craigslist/FB marketplace circuit. There's always someone getting rid of their weight set for much less than they paid.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-05-23, 05:06 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
As you get older, wear and tear on the joints becomes more of an issue, esp. regarding the spine.

One alternative is kettlebells.

I also use monster bands that I cut. Then I stand on them for squats or deadlifts. They work quite well for pulling exercises. If you can work up a waist level attachment, you can wrap them around your hips for the last bit of a deadlift. When you get to the 2" bands, they are bulky to use with multiple bands.

https://www.performbetter.com/First-...=1&custcol29=8

Last edited by late; 06-05-23 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-05-23, 09:12 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
At 77, the only thing that keeps me operational is strength training at a gym, with as much weight as I can handle with good form for reps. IME strength training prevents joint problems. When something hurts, my response is to work it. If course it's better to work it before it hurts, but stuff happens. Because of health issues I had to take 2 months off. Now I'm back, starting from scratch. That's how quick it goes at my age. Yesterday, I cut my squat weight down to 1/3 of what it was, still couldn't do my 3rd set because of leg cramps. I'll get it back. Next week will be better. My wife said my form was good though, full squats, bounce at the bottom. We've been working out together at the gym since '79.
Old 06-05-23, 09:50 AM
force10

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Thanks everyone. I think I found what I am looking for - a rackable 28.5 mm bar with short(er) collar.
Likes For force10:
Old 09-14-23, 05:27 AM
kinnessa60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
For a 50-year-old cyclist, consider a 28mm barbell with gentle knurling for comfort and grip.
Old 01-08-24, 02:28 AM
Sambo_Cycles

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My coach has recommended using a hex bar to better target muscles used by cyclists.
I personally like the bar and use gloves to help the hands