Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Big ring shifting probblems.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 07:20 AM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts

My kid picked up my Specialized Tricross and put it in with a bunch of other bikes. Now, I won't shift into the largest chainring, and if it does it is only with great effort. The limit screw is set all the way out. Any thoughts on how to straighten this out?

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix
Old 05-31-23, 08:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Was it working before? Had it been damaged? Usually the limit screw is set once and never changes. Have you tried WD-40 on the mech and shifter?
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-31-23, 08:36 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
Maybe you need to take a bit of slack out of the cable. Does it have and in-line adjuster? If not you’ll have to take it out at the anchor bolt on the derailleur.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 05-31-23, 09:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Start by isolating the problem. Try shifting by pulling the bare wire away from the frame. If it shifts, use this method to correctly set the outer limit screw.

Now you can look at other possibilitiesx ie. slack cable, something binding, lever problem, etc.

Stay focused, and work methodically, isolating possibilities until you KNOW where the problem lies.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-31-23, 03:08 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"Put it in with a bunch of other bikes"... makes me think that the derailleur has been bumped and Moved out of alignment...

check front der. alignment before you Re-adjust that upper limit screw back to WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE, or start screwing up the cable adjustment as suggested elsewhere...

there is also a possibility that the SHIFTER got moved too far when the bikes got tossed together, which can pull the cable out of adjustment,,, BUT Check Derailleur Alignment Before you do anything else!

there are hundreds of videos on Youtube showing how to correctly "Align a Front Derailleur".. watch one and learn, if you're not certain, ok?

Last edited by maddog34; 05-31-23 at 03:12 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 06-03-23, 09:22 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Seeing as this could be caused by loose cable, worn cable, misalignment, or whatever, and by now the limit screws are probably not doing their job as needed, I recommend a session with the Park Tool front derailleur setup page. The link for it is in the archive in a least a dozen posts. Or you can search with your browser. Trust me, this isn't the first time a front derailleur mysteriously stopped working.
Old 06-03-23, 01:33 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
FB's recommendation is the first one to follow, as then you know if the derailleur itself is operating properly. But if it is not, then you need to check the derailleurs alignment before you touch the limit screw. If the derailleur has been rotated counterclockwise then it may not properly shift into the large chainring. If it shifts OK when isolated then you can focus on the cable/housing and shift lever. If not, then adjust the derailleur from scratch.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-03-23 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-03-23, 02:26 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
FB's recommendation is the first one to follow, as then you know if the derailleur itself is operating properly. But if it is not, then you need to check the derailleurs alignment before you touch the limit screw. If the derailleur has been rotated clockwise then it will not properly shift into the large chainring. If it shifts OK when isolated then you can focus on the cable/housing and shift lever. If not, then adjust the derailleur from scratch.
So you're saying test der. travel then reset the limit screws BEFORE checking der. alignment?

ummm... wow.. not a good idea.

i always set height and alignment, then set limit screws, then set the cable... especially after the bike was tossed in with a bunch of other bikes, as reported by Mr. Grumpy.

Here's the Park tool Front Der. Procedure.. they prescribe the same thing i did.... except i set the limit screws by eye, then set the cable, then check the limit screws again.. If the height or alignment are out of spec, what happens to the cable and limit screw adjustments? they will need to be done again. TIP: set the front der. SHIFTER's adjustment to two turns out BEFORE setting cable tension... theis willprovide adjustment range in either direction, if needed... i also have used "PRE-Tensioning by turning the Low Limit screw in One Turn Before hooking the cable up.. this takes up any slack without using a "cable stretching tool"... return the limit screw to it's home position after clamping the cable... this works well for rear ders too!

Last edited by maddog34; 06-03-23 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-03-23, 02:52 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
No, I am not saying that. FB recommended testing derailleur operation by pulling the cable directly (at the down tube). I said that if it is NOT working properly then check alignment before limit screws, and if it is working as it should then focus elsewhere. Although it would not hurt, there's no need to go through the entire derailleur adjustment process if one finds out that it is shifting fine when isolated. The first step in diagnosis is to isolate causes. Certainly, it's advisable to recheck height if the full derailleur adjustment is needed. I'm familiar with proper derailleur adjustment, and everyone has a slightly different approach. I adjust the slack cable limit first, then set the other limit screw, and finally set the cable - different of course with a new cable.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 06-03-23 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-03-23, 03:18 PM
mr,grumpy 

Thank you all. After days of testing and adjusting I succeeded in making the bike not shift at all. A quick trip to the LBS and it was sorted in less than min.

2008 Specialized Roubaix
Likes For mr,grumpy:
Old 06-03-23, 06:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
And did they give any indication as to what was going on? It's all fine and dandy to have a pro fix your bike but it's stellar if you also learn something at the same time. Andy
Old 06-04-23, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by mr,grumpy
Thank you all. After days of testing and adjusting I succeeded in making the bike not shift at all. A quick trip to the LBS and it was sorted in less than min.
Since everyone here was trying to help you, you could return the favor by letting us know what the actual issue was.

Otherwise your comment is just like slapping us on the face and saying "you are wrong"!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-04-23, 09:28 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Let’s see: Won’t shift to the large ring and was fixed in less than a minute? To paraphrase the Church Lady: “Could it be…Cable!”
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-08-23, 08:55 AM
mr,grumpy 

No. I didn't get a block of instruction, just service. He DID say that the front derailure was out of alignment, so he fixed that, but then he made several other adjustments. What all he did, he didn't say.

2008 Specialized Roubaix