Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Race Scene Boston

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-23, 01:50 AM
palisader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Race Scene Boston

Hello. I posted in the 33 forum about Pasadena vs Oakland vs Boston for cycling. Got a ton of useful info, but not much about Boston. I was wondering what you all make of the road racing scene there (and also track, which I want to get in to). Especially for a student in the area. I am worried the excessive size of the city makes cycling not very feasible, especially from the Cambridge area. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-23, 11:38 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
I can't offer any first-hand experience (I moved away from Boston several years before I became a diehard road cycling aficionado) but I'll bet if you reached out to Ed Sassler he could offer an earful of info.

Ed is (was?) one of the coaches for the Harvard University bicycle racing team; he also has his own Coaching & Fitting business that he runs out of a Belmont bike shop. You should be able to find his contact info here: https://edsasslercoaching.com/
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 03-03-23, 11:52 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Also ask around at Belmont Wheelworks. Granted the owners are my age and were racing 45 years ago out of the club I raced, NEBC (North East Bicycle Club), but I'll bet they aren't too far removed from what's happening now. One of the mainstay training loops ran very close to their location, the locally famous "Allis Loop". NEBC is still around.

Edit: I lived in Inman Square in my racing days, riding early morning on the Allis Loop, coming home for breakfast, then showing up at the bike shop for work at 9 or 10. Traffic-wise the routine worked quite well.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-03-23 at 11:58 AM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 03-03-23, 12:11 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 219 Posts
https://nevelodrome.com/

The only track around here, currently run by the NEBC. An hour each way by car at least. I'm aiming to make one of their new rider clinics this season. I'm almost 56, never raced in my life, I guess I would only get to see your butt if we do meet LOL
Likes For EVlove:
Old 03-03-23, 01:26 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Ed is (was?) one of the coaches for the Harvard University bicycle racing team; he also has his own Coaching & Fitting business that he runs out of a Belmont bike shop.
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Also ask around at Belmont Wheelworks.
If I'm not mistaken, Belmont Wheelworks is the shop that Ed Sassler runs his Coaching & Fitting business out of. I think he's on staff there, and the coaching is his side hustle.
Likes For Bob Ross: