Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

There’s a New 750-Mile Bicycle Route in New York (NYT)

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 11-06-21, 09:27 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts

Some may find this informative. Probably could post it in the General forum......possible paywall

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ire-trail.html
Old 11-06-21, 09:40 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 141 Posts
Paywall is a yes. (for the NY Times)

Last edited by dmark; 11-06-21 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-06-21, 10:10 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
Paywall is a yes.
Its the Empire State Trail. Its only partly a "trail", theres likely 50% on road. They basically rushed the concept and thru up a lot of signage on existing trails and on road bike routes.
Old 11-06-21, 03:03 PM
StarBiker

^
More scenic escape routes?
Old 11-06-21, 04:11 PM
rootesgroup

Bikes: 1952-ish BSA Sunbeam, 1964 Schwinn Fleet, 1964 JC Higgins, 1970s Sears Step-Thru, 1969 Raleigh Sunbeam, Late 40's Raleigh Rod Brake, Late 40's BSA Sunbeam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
NY seems to use old rail lines whenever possible. Sometimes they want the rail trail to go through a village where there is no old rail line. So, they add bike lanes to the local road or (and this is the cheapest) they put the shared road chevrons painted on the road surface (yeah, like auto drivers really will share the road with bikes when they can't even share the road with other cars). In the city of Kingston, NY, they do have an old rail/trolley line that goes right through the city and they are (right now) converting that to part of the rail trail system. The entire system is not perfect but is a really good first step and I am happy to have it. It is much better than it was without the improvements.
Likes For rootesgroup:
Old 11-06-21, 07:38 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by rootesgroup
...The entire system is not perfect but is a really good first step and I am happy to have it. It is much better than it was without the improvements.
Agreed. I've ridden most of it from NYC to Brewster and from Poughkeepsie to New Paltz/Rosendale. None of the other sections are screaming at me to take the long drive from Long Island to ride them, but I'm really glad to see progress being made on our bicycling infrastructure.
Old 11-06-21, 10:40 PM
StarBiker

Although I have never road the trails in New York the article I thought was informative. Progress does not happen overnight.

Do I need to copy and past the article? If it's allowed I will. (I get the times for free through my Father who never met a printed word that he didn't wan't to read)
Old 11-07-21, 09:03 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Even just putting up signs is a big win. How often have you come to the end of a trail with no way of knowing how to connect to the next one or the best road to take? Yea, we all have our phones, when they work, and I can get turn by turn on my Wahoo Bolt, but just have a sign point the way is easier.

I plan on doing the NYC to Buffalo (or vice versa) route next summer, even my wife thinks she'll do it. And as the article points out you don't have to do it all at once. Aside from having family along the way, conveniently in Albany and Syracuse, I also have the added benefit of free flights. I can drop my bike at my B-I-L and hop a flight back to NYC to pick up and drop off stuff and go back the next day. And in any case I would do the hotel to hotel route, I've never been a camper. And while I'd carry some snack type food meals would be at restaurants. Buffalo Chicken Wings anybody?

And here is the article as a "gift" share: Empire State Trail Article, NY Times (I've never tried the gift article feature, I'm sure someone will let me know if it works. It only lasts 14 days.)
Old 11-07-21, 09:56 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

My thought about it being rushed, was I wished they had put out the money to build an actual paved or gravel bike path in place of the on road segments. Then it would really be a bike "trail". Thats a huge undertaking as I'm not sure they have or could buy the right-of-way for this. It would be expensive to be buying land.
Old 11-07-21, 06:51 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
It would also be nice if they had real road maps available. They would not be expensive.
Old 11-08-21, 09:04 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
My thought about it being rushed, was I wished they had put out the money to build an actual paved or gravel bike path in place of the on road segments. Then it would really be a bike "trail". Thats a huge undertaking as I'm not sure they have or could buy the right-of-way for this. It would be expensive to be buying land.
Even where the right of way is available it can take decades to actually build anything. Just look at how long it is taking with the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. I rode the first section from Millerton to Wassaic over 10 years ago and only this year did the connecting section to Copake open. There is still a disconnect between Hillsdale and Copake, it just dead ends at a washed out bridge, and the trail to Chatham? I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-08-21, 09:12 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by zacster
Even where the right of way is available it can take decades to actually build anything. Just look at how long it is taking with the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. I rode the first section from Millerton to Wassaic over 10 years ago and only this year did the connecting section to Copake open. There is still a disconnect between Hillsdale and Copake, it just dead ends at a washed out bridge, and the trail to Chatham? I'm not holding my breath.
I'm not sure there's any state money helping this along, I think it's been all county funded and is why it's taking forever. Duchess has been committed and has funded the southern segments, Columbia is not funding at the same level and it's not getting done, is what I see.
Old 11-09-21, 03:31 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
My thought about it being rushed, was I wished they had put out the money to build an actual paved or gravel bike path in place of the on road segments. Then it would really be a bike "trail".
Indeed, though a non trivial amount of actual building happened. An obvious example would be finally funding the long discussed buildout of the trail along the disused Maybrook line, essentially connecting the trail that ended in Brewster to the one that started at Hopewell Junction.

They also took a fairly tame section on the shoulder of route 100 south of Millwood and got it on its own side of the guardrail.

​​​​​​My impression is a lot was done in spots between Albany and Buffalo too, though more remains. While it sounds like the route north from roughly Kingston may be some of the least continuous.

Last edited by UniChris; 11-09-21 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-11-21, 11:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Even where the right of way is available it can take decades to actually build anything. Just look at how long it is taking with the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. I rode the first section from Millerton to Wassaic over 10 years ago and only this year did the connecting section to Copake open.
I had done Millerton south twice before. During a tour in September I camped at Taconic Stat Park (Copake) and rode all the way to the end on the way to Hyde Park for the night. The new section is sweet. Interestingly I went down to the cafe/store along the trail after setting up camp and happened to meet one of the co-authors of "Younger Next Year." He was out for a ride at 87 years of age.

A guy I know just happened to have ridden the new section the day before I did and sent me a photo of a bugger he came across.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-11-21 at 11:46 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-11-21, 09:17 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
. A guy I know just happened to have ridden the new section the day before I did and sent me a photo of a bugger he came across.

Great pic. They are definitely moving south. Just got back from a couple of days/nights backpacking in Harriman St. Park and saw none in the flesh but several big scats loaded with berry pits and hair. Also coyote leavings, mostly hair. I took no scat pics..
Old 11-12-21, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Great pic. They are definitely moving south. Just got back from a couple of days/nights backpacking in Harriman St. Park and saw none in the flesh but several big scats loaded with berry pits and hair. Also coyote leavings, mostly hair. I took no scat pics..
There were fliers in the park warning about bears. If you are unfamiliar with a place you sometimes don't know how much reality is behind them. One place I ride to regularly in S. Jersey has similar fliers. The chances of encountering a bear there are extremely slim and none. The big problem is trash pandas. But having had close encounters with bears in N. Jersey and PA while touring I decided to store my attractants in one of the shower/bathrooms while at Taconic.

We have had three bears come through Philly in the last 5 years or so. And those are only the ones that we know about. Last summer I was finishing a long weekend tour and ventured off a popular bike trail just outside the city limits for a nature break. It was a wooded area with a creek running through it. In the mud I saw what were clearly bear tracks.
Old 11-12-21, 10:33 AM
Papa Tom

Ah!!! And you guys all laughed at me when I asked about bears on the Empire State Trail!
Old 11-12-21, 02:06 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Ah!!! And you guys all laughed at me when I asked about bears on the Empire State Trail!
I spent Wednesday night this week in a tent in bear country. I'm still laughing, actually.

Last edited by kaos joe; 11-12-21 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-12-21, 04:32 PM
Papa Tom

[QUOTE=kaos joe;22305192]I spent Wednesday night this week in a tent in bear country. I'm still laughing, actually.

[/QUOTE

Where is this?
]
Old 11-12-21, 04:53 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
There's a reason they call it "Bear Mountain State Park".
Old 11-12-21, 05:23 PM
kaos joe

There's a reason they call it "Bear Mountain State Park".
Very close.......next door in Harriman. We did see a lot of coyote leavings and were hopeful to hear them at night, but no such luck this time.
Old 11-13-21, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

There was a noisy owl on a limb right above my tent at Taconic.
Old 11-13-21, 06:49 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
There was a bear spotted this summer at the Greenbrook Nature Preserve in Tenafly NJ. They took down their birdfeeders to try and discourage him from hanging out there.
Old 11-13-21, 09:57 PM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by indyfabz
There was a noisy owl on a limb right above my tent at Taconic.
This is not desirable.
Old 11-14-21, 09:04 AM
indyfabz

This is not desirable.
I love to hear them as long as they move on and don't keep me awake. During my two-week tour in September I heard owls every night except two. Coyotes two nights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.