Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

More bike lanes for DC

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

More bike lanes for DC

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-23, 07:25 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
More bike lanes for DC

the Washington Post editorializes for it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...lanes-commute/ , describes the coming bicycle lane for Connecticut Avenue.
Old 01-21-23, 10:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
With all the sites and monuments to see in DC, yes there should absolutely be more bike lanes and trails.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 01-29-23, 06:24 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
the Washington Post editorializes for it here https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...lanes-commute/ , describes the coming bicycle lane for Connecticut Avenue.
I can't read the OpEd since I don't subscribe to the WaPo. But, Before I moved out of the DC-Metro region in 2019. Apart from 2002-2007 when I lived in Minnesota, I had lived in the DC-Metro region since 1984. In all those years, Connecticut Ave was a dangerous road for biking. From DC, all the way to Knowles Ave. in Kensington. The only way it might be safer, is by lowering the speed limit.
Old 02-03-23, 09:47 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
With all the sites and monuments to see in DC, yes there should absolutely be more bike lanes and trails.
Keep in mind those of us who work there and dread tourist season. Another partial solution is to further expand telework in the DC Metro Area and make it mandatory that worker bees need not come in more than 1 day a week. And finally, make sure the metro and bus systems are well funded.
Likes For boozergut:
Old 02-14-23, 09:37 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
I can't read the OpEd since I don't subscribe to the WaPo.
I don't subscribe. I right-click on the link, save the file, read the local copy.
Originally Posted by Chistophe516
Connecticut Ave was a dangerous road for biking. From DC, all the way to Knowles Ave. in Kensington..
I lived in DC many years. I never rode Connecticut, or any major street (except occasionally late at night or early in the morning) but got around on less-busy streets. It was longer and slower, but much more pleasant. I do that everywhere. I used to bicycle from Santa Monica to Pasadena on un-busy streets monthly. I stay off them now in Albuquerque. With a map and patience...
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 02-22-23, 02:24 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I don't subscribe. I right-click on the link, save the file, read the local copy.

I lived in DC many years. I never rode Connecticut, or any major street (except occasionally late at night or early in the morning) but got around on less-busy streets. It was longer and slower, but much more pleasant. I do that everywhere. I used to bicycle from Santa Monica to Pasadena on un-busy streets monthly. I stay off them now in Albuquerque. With a map and patience...
When I lived in the MD(Montgomery County) suburbs of DC, 2007-2019. I had no problem biking on busy roads. Connecticut Ave. was always the exception.
Old 03-03-23, 12:57 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 372 Posts
My girlfriend lived in Washington DC for a couple of years. Coming from the New York City area, the amount of bike infrastructure in place (shout-out to the MBT!), the bike-friendly policy of the Metro, and the general bike awareness of drivers was pretty encouraging. We rode all over the place. But it still wasn't enough. Ebikes plus infrastructure plus work from home can really cut down traffic there.
Likes For john m flores: