Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bravo!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-23, 10:03 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Don't blame the vehicle type, blame the person who is operating that vehicle.
Old 03-17-23, 05:45 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Don't blame the vehicle type, blame the person who is operating that vehicle.
I can do both.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-17-23, 06:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I can do both.
Sure you can blame both but it doesn't mean that you're right.... Only one is really at fault and it's always the distracted driver, not the vehicle.
Old 03-17-23, 07:02 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Sure you can blame both but it doesn't mean that you're right.... Only one is really at fault and it's always the distracted driver, not the vehicle.
The vehicle one purchases and operates is a choice. I'll blame the driver both for being distracted and for choosing to operate a vehicle that obstructs visibility and gives a low chance of survival to anything it hits.
Likes For retswerb:
Old 03-17-23, 07:21 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
The vehicle one purchases and operates is a choice. I'll blame the driver both for being distracted and for choosing to operate a vehicle that obstructs visibility and gives a low chance of survival to anything it hits.
I blame the marketing for selling unrealistic dreams of freedom and why consumers need such big vehicles for urban driving.

I blame the auto engineers for designing vehicles that are increasingly more dangerous to the general public.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-17-23, 07:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

I use a full size pick up truck as my daily driver and never had a problem seeing pedestrians or cyclists or any other users of the road. Before that i drove a modified SUV with a suspension lift and big tires and heavy steel bumpers and never had a problem seeing anybody and never hit anybody. The blame should be placed on the driver and not on the type of a vehicle that they're driving.
Old 03-17-23, 07:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

​​​​​Assume the video is correct and you're 3 times more likely to die if you're struck by a SUV than by a car, is that because the drivers of SUVs are 3 times worse? You're talking complete nonsense.
Old 03-17-23, 07:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I use a full size pick up truck as my daily driver and never had a problem seeing pedestrians or cyclists or any other users of the road. Before that i drove a modified SUV with a suspension lift and big tires and heavy steel bumpers and never had a problem seeing anybody and never hit anybody. The blame should be placed on the driver and not on the type of a vehicle that they're driving.
A. I don't believe your view is as unobstructed as if you were driving a car.
B. Arguing from anecdote is stupid. "I drive one and I haven't hit anyone" proves absolutely nothing.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-17-23, 07:48 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Distracted drivers can be found in all kinds of vehicles, and they can all hit people, but one is more likely to kill than injure. I'd rather survive their mistake.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-17-23, 08:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Korina
Distracted drivers can be found in all kinds of vehicles, and they can all hit people, but one is more likely to kill than injure. I'd rather survive their mistake.
The notion that only distracted drivers hit people is absurd.
Old 03-19-23, 12:16 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
At some point we have to stop letting people off the hook merely because they didn't intend to commit harm. When it comes to traffic safety and the preservation of life, the end results and the objects used matter a lot. Negligence with a motor vehicle is treated too lightly in this country.
Old 03-19-23, 05:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
The vehicle one purchases and operates is a choice.
A choice induced by brainwashing people who have no business operating heavy equipment in the first place. Most of my friends have trucks and SUVs. I've made fun of them for years. The only straight answer I've pried out of any of them was a single friend of mine who REALLY needed a mini van for all of his adventures bought an SUV instead because some of his other friends (women in particular) told him the minivan makes him look like a daddy with a bunch of kids when he tries to get (or pick up) dates. He NEEDED a minivan but his frail ego bought a stupid SUV that really didn't do what he wanted.

Yep, freedom to purchase what marketers want to sell to you even if it doesn't make sense. Suckers.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-19-23 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-26-23, 08:28 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
A choice induced by brainwashing people who have no business operating heavy equipment in the first place. Most of my friends have trucks and SUVs. I've made fun of them for years. The only straight answer I've pried out of any of them was a single friend of mine who REALLY needed a mini van for all of his adventures bought an SUV instead because some of his other friends (women in particular) told him the minivan makes him look like a daddy with a bunch of kids when he tries to get (or pick up) dates. He NEEDED a minivan but his frail ego bought a stupid SUV that really didn't do what he wanted.

Yep, freedom to purchase what marketers want to sell to you even if it doesn't make sense. Suckers.
Sounds like he needs better friends.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-27-23, 11:31 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts

he really may not be benefiting from those mock friends in terms of personal growth...
If your single friend were to have obtain a minivan, they could go do what they like to do; when they want to, where they want to, & with whom they wish to. Being isolated with someone means he is susceptible to answering to a variety of questions prior, during, after & still doesn't promise they can go do what they want.

Go get that Mini-V!
Old 03-27-23, 01:23 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Troul
he really may not be benefiting from those mock friends in terms of personal growth...
If your single friend were to have obtain a minivan, they could go do what they like to do; when they want to, where they want to, & with whom they wish to. Being isolated with someone means he is susceptible to answering to a variety of questions prior, during, after & still doesn't promise they can go do what they want.

Go get that Mini-V!
My personality/ego has never been all tied up with the vehicle I drive. My current car was my wife's old car. I didn't chose it, it chose me. It's a 2003 Toyota Camry - sand color like a million other old Camry cars that mostly grandmothers drive. You think I care? So it is hard for me to understand using a vehicle as some kind of ego crutch.
Old 03-27-23, 01:27 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Korina
Sounds like he needs better friends.
No joke, myself included - mercilessly making fun of the dude and his "urban assault" vehicle.
Old 03-27-23, 04:43 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
My personality/ego has never been all tied up with the vehicle I drive. My current car was my wife's old car. I didn't chose it, it chose me. It's a 2003 Toyota Camry - sand color like a million other old Camry cars that mostly grandmothers drive. You think I care? So it is hard for me to understand using a vehicle as some kind of ego crutch.
One of my friends had one just like that which he bought from another friend. He used to call it his "chick magnet"
Old 03-27-23, 08:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
life is short, it sucks that your friend is choosing to let others live it for him.
Old 03-28-23, 07:56 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by alcjphil
One of my friends had one just like that which he bought from another friend. He used to call it his "chick magnet"
Funny! In my case it IS a chick magnet.

My wife bought that car new. It's a luxury car with leather interior and all the goodies cars had in 2003, with a sun roof that she can not do without. It became too undependable for her, in fact we got towed into the dealership with an oil light lit up. She picked out a used 2016 Camry with a sun roof right on the spot. During covid cars were in short supply so I decided to buy it from her instead of trading it in. Then over a year I sunk about $5K more into it.

My point (at last) is my wife loves that car and picked it out specifically (unlike the 2016 used one which was the only "choice"). Now she has TWO dependable cars at her fingertips including the old one she loves. Anytime we do anything together we take "my" car. So you see, it IS a chick magnet in my case.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 03-28-23 at 08:00 AM.