Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is my better bike slower?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is my better bike slower?

Old 07-22-21, 12:03 PM
LDuncan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So special effects
Old 07-22-21, 01:18 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
If read through these and unless I missed it, no one has mentioned wheels or tires, which can make huge difference from bike to bike, more so than any other components, except perhaps for the motor!
Likes For joeruge:
Old 07-22-21, 01:51 PM
halehankock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The motor on both bikes is the same I just replaced my Specialized tires from Gatorskins to Conti GP 5000s. After 2 rides on the trail in question, i beat my PR once by 15 secs with the Specialized but with a fair amount of effort. The best time I set with the Trek, I didn't feel nearly as gassed. I realize things are different day to day, temperature, wind, etc. but I'm taking that into account on the times I've set on the rides. We've had some really calm, windless days here in Nebraska lately so I'm comparing similar days and weather. The GP 5000s seem to have really helped, but I still can't get over how both bikes roll so differently. The trek just seems/feels like it rolls fast and free, whereas the specialized almost feels like something is always slowing it down like a rubbing brake pad, but I've checked and it's not the case. I also just got new hubs, full tune and everything appears in top shape on the Specialized.
Old 07-22-21, 04:24 PM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Heat

Unless the humidity is very high, you can still cool yourself thru evaporation of sweat. I often dump a water bottle full on my Jersey to cool off. This is usually on the last 10 miles to my house as the temperature is rising during the ride.
Old 07-22-21, 05:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by halehankock
The motor on both bikes is the same I just replaced my Specialized tires from Gatorskins to Conti GP 5000s. After 2 rides on the trail in question, i beat my PR once by 15 secs with the Specialized but with a fair amount of effort. The best time I set with the Trek, I didn't feel nearly as gassed. I realize things are different day to day, temperature, wind, etc. but I'm taking that into account on the times I've set on the rides. We've had some really calm, windless days here in Nebraska lately so I'm comparing similar days and weather. The GP 5000s seem to have really helped, but I still can't get over how both bikes roll so differently. The trek just seems/feels like it rolls fast and free, whereas the specialized almost feels like something is always slowing it down like a rubbing brake pad, but I've checked and it's not the case. I also just got new hubs, full tune and everything appears in top shape on the Specialized.
Not all grease is the same, not all bearings are equal.

I'd be curious on a no effort roll out between the 2 hubs now that you have same tires.
Even with loose ball, spanning matters greatly!

Even chain lube, chain wear, jockey pulleys.... it all adds up.

I'll even say it..... not all cheap bikes are bad, and not all expensive bikes are good.

And the difference between fast and faster is a good mechanic.

Last edited by Metieval; 07-22-21 at 05:49 PM.
Likes For Metieval: