Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

700x38C is Max, but...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

700x38C is Max, but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-22, 05:52 AM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
700x38C is Max, but...

...I have about 55-57 mm of space between the posts of the fork. Could I safely run a 40-45mm width tire?

2022 Trek FX1 Disc
Stock Bontraeger Connection rims. 20mm internal width.
Thank you for your replies!

Steve
Old 02-20-22, 06:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
the rear chain stays is probably the real limiting factor. that's where I had tire rub when I went too big. with my older FX (Alpha 7.0) I use 40mm WTB Nanos w/ no trouble at all (they run true to size)
Old 02-20-22, 11:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
How safe it is will be something you have to decide for yourself. You bike's maker probably has an idea of what they consider safe and suggested a max size tire. If you want to go any larger, why should any of us suggest what you might could use and then get the blame if it doesn't work for you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-20-22, 11:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
So we have to ask how big a piece of trail will your tires pick up and try to jam under the crown/between the blades. How much mud? When you know that we can reply with far better ability to predict your future WRT running really wide tires. Andy (hoping readers can see the satire here)
Old 02-20-22, 11:49 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I have a wider tire in front, which my fork allows. This gives a wee bit more pneumatic suspension and traction.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-20-22, 08:38 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
the rear chain stays is probably the real limiting factor. that's where I had tire rub when I went too big. with my older FX (Alpha 7.0) I use 40mm WTB Nanos w/ no trouble at all (they run true to size)
Ah, good to know! I'll check out the Nanos. I'm going to check the clearance at the chain stays too.
Old 02-20-22, 08:41 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
So we have to ask how big a piece of trail will your tires pick up and try to jam under the crown/between the blades. How much mud? When you know that we can reply with far better ability to predict your future WRT running really wide tires. Andy (hoping readers can see the satire here)
I won't be doing more than very light trails, no mud (don't want to have to clean it lol). Just maybe also looking for a more aggressive tire to replace the stock Bontraeger tires.
Old 02-20-22, 08:42 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I have a wider tire in front, which my fork allows. This gives a wee bit more pneumatic suspension and traction.
I like this idea. How much wider did you go up front?
Old 02-20-22, 08:58 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by SteveInConverse
I have a different bike, but 42mm rear, 48mm front.
Old 02-20-22, 09:17 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
chainstays ....forkblades ....yes

posts ....no

other parts not to be found on a bicycle ....doohickeys, thingamabobs and whatchamacallits
Old 02-20-22, 10:02 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This is the old BMX tire trick. Run a wider tire in front for steering grip and a narrower in rear for quicker acceleration. If you have to have a tire loose grip at, the wrong moment, the rear is likely the better one to do it with. Andy
Old 02-20-22, 10:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I re-invented it for gravel biking. I think I will call it the mullet comb-over.

Old 02-21-22, 12:06 AM
SteveInConverse

Ok, had the wife measure the area as Im at work and she reported 52mm of space at the rear chainstay. I'm guessing I could comfortably run a 42-45mm tire back there?
Old 02-21-22, 11:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Ok, had the wife measure the area as Im at work and she reported 52mm of space at the rear chainstay. I'm guessing I could comfortably run a 42-45mm tire back there?
from what I've played with the rear wheel/tire isn't always centered between the stays. also not all tires measure as marked on the sidewall when fully inflated. I had some tires that were waay over & I could use them but they had to be underinflated (see link below). if I were you I would stick to 40s tops

on my bike (Trek FX Alpha 7.0) the Michelin Protek 700x40mm measure 43mm at 90 psi didn't fit. as I wrote in my 1st reply, the 40mm Nanos are true to size & fit

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ek-700x35.html
Old 02-21-22, 11:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

If you can get a credit card to fit between your tire and the frame, you will be living life to its fullest.

I try to cram in the widest tire I can get away with. Unless your wheels go badly out of true regularly, or you have a tendency to ride through sticky adhesive mud, or if you ride room for fenders, the official estimates for maximum tire width are usually quite conservative. Also, be aware that the number printed on the sidewall of the tire may be significantly different from what the tire expands to on your rims on your bike with your favorite tire pressure, tube/tubeless content, etc.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 02-21-22, 11:48 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I run 38 in front and 35 in back on two older steel road bikes. (I could squeeze a 38 in back but I'd have to slide the wheel back (horizontal dropouts) and let air out to remove the wheel.) Rode this combo on the most challenging "gravel" I've ever ridden. Slopes to 17%, several thousand feet both up and down and 1 1/2 inch "pebbles". Worked really well.
Old 02-21-22, 07:12 PM
SteveInConverse

from what I've played with the rear wheel/tire isn't always centered between the stays. also not all tires measure as marked on the sidewall when fully inflated. I had some tires that were waay over & I could use them but they had to be underinflated (see link below). if I were you I would stick to 40s tops

on my bike (Trek FX Alpha 7.0) the Michelin Protek 700x40mm measure 43mm at 90 psi didn't fit. as I wrote in my 1st reply, the 40mm Nanos are true to size & fit

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...ek-700x35.html
Wow, I had no idea that they varied like that..my dumbself figured 42 was 42 was 42! I looked at the Nanos and that's probably what I'll go with as true to fit seems like the best choice, or like you said stay in the 40's...I figured really no more than 42-45 max. Thank you for your help!
Old 02-21-22, 07:14 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I run 38 in front and 35 in back on two older steel road bikes. (I could squeeze a 38 in back but I'd have to slide the wheel back (horizontal dropouts) and let air out to remove the wheel.) Rode this combo on the most challenging "gravel" I've ever ridden. Slopes to 17%, several thousand feet both up and down and 1 1/2 inch "pebbles". Worked really well.
Nice! Far more ambitious than I will be at this point! I do like the idea of the two sizes.
Old 02-21-22, 07:16 PM
SteveInConverse

If you can get a credit card to fit between your tire and the frame, you will be living life to its fullest.

I try to cram in the widest tire I can get away with. Unless your wheels go badly out of true regularly, or you have a tendency to ride through sticky adhesive mud, or if you ride room for fenders, the official estimates for maximum tire width are usually quite conservative. Also, be aware that the number printed on the sidewall of the tire may be significantly different from what the tire expands to on your rims on your bike with your favorite tire pressure, tube/tubeless content, etc.
Ok, good to know. I'm really surprised that the tires vary as much as they apparently do considering the tolerances and sizes that we encounter on bikes in general. Thank you.
Old 02-21-22, 07:44 PM
rumrunn6

[QUOTE=SteveInConverse;22417147]I looked at the Nanos and that's probably what I'll go with/QUOTE]if that's the tread you want. I wouldn't get them if most riding was on pavement. they're fine, but they are designed for hard packed unpaved surfaces, I think. on pavement they have a slight buzz. run them a little soft around campgrounds or stone dust trails. ok for me for summer vacations w/ the family when I want a versatile tire that can hit some dry dirt paths. or slower rides w/ Wifey on paved trails. most of my solo riding is either with the road bike (25mm tires) or mountain bike (2.25" tires). the hybrid w/ the Nanos seems to get less use
Old 02-21-22, 09:23 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Run it, yes, comfortably, no.
The basic recommendation is to run 6mm of spacing to either side of the tire so the tire should ideally be 12mm narrower than the frame, running closer is possible but this number is meant to deal with the fact people don't true their rims the moment it comes slightly out of true, offer space if a spoke breaks, deal with road debris. On the upside, you may never run into a problem, on the down side you might slightly tweak a wheel on a gravel road and never notice that the dirt on the tire ate its way through the frame where the tire was ever so slightly rubbing. I've seen this happen with two road bikes, one aluminum and one very high end, thin wall steel. I personally have a bike with a slight groove in the stay from hitting a pothole on a downhill hard enough to break two spokes, the tire survived but the multi-mile ride home wasn't gentle on the frame but 4130 cromoly isn't weak or thin. Your fx might not be a worry but you should be aware the recommended space is for a reason.
Old 02-21-22, 09:59 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Run it, yes, comfortably, no.
The basic recommendation is to run 6mm of spacing to either side of the tire so the tire should ideally be 12mm narrower than the frame, running closer is possible but this number is meant to deal with the fact people don't true their rims the moment it comes slightly out of true, offer space if a spoke breaks, deal with road debris. On the upside, you may never run into a problem, on the down side you might slightly tweak a wheel on a gravel road and never notice that the dirt on the tire ate its way through the frame where the tire was ever so slightly rubbing. I've seen this happen with two road bikes, one aluminum and one very high end, thin wall steel. I personally have a bike with a slight groove in the stay from hitting a pothole on a downhill hard enough to break two spokes, the tire survived but the multi-mile ride home wasn't gentle on the frame but 4130 cromoly isn't weak or thin. Your fx might not be a worry but you should be aware the recommended space is for a reason.
Those are really good points to consider. Seems the largest I would want to go then would be 40 max. That's plenty, all things considered. I'll check the measurement again and stay with the 6mm to either side. Thank you!
Old 02-21-22, 10:02 PM
SteveInConverse

[QUOTE=rumrunn6;22417182]
I looked at the Nanos and that's probably what I'll go with/QUOTE]if that's the tread you want. I wouldn't get them if most riding was on pavement. they're fine, but they are designed for hard packed unpaved surfaces, I think. on pavement they have a slight buzz. run them a little soft around campgrounds or stone dust trails. ok for me for summer vacations w/ the family when I want a versatile tire that can hit some dry dirt paths. or slower rides w/ Wifey on paved trails. most of my solo riding is either with the road bike (25mm tires) or mountain bike (2.25" tires). the hybrid w/ the Nanos seems to get less use
I'm shooting for about 50/50 pavement. I found a few that seemed to be aimed at that ratio. I don't want to run something that might introduce another issue to deal with. Thank you!
Likes For SteveInConverse: