Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Latest GCN Video

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Latest GCN Video

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 11:11 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Latest GCN Video

It’s amusing that their version of a retro-grouch rides a carbon frame and 11 speed brifters. Makes many of the regular posters look like Amish in comparison. GCN is really working the old versus new comparisons lately.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-15-23, 03:09 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Maybe they checked where these videos popped up most outside UK.... and the threads in which these videos start heated conversations generate enough views i guess...
Old 04-15-23, 03:15 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
https://youtu.be/nwsG49-C7I4

It’s amusing that their version of a retro-grouch rides a carbon frame and 11 speed brifters. Makes many of the regular posters look like Amish in comparison. GCN is really working the old versus new comparisons lately.
I'm living in an Amish paradise!
Old 04-15-23, 03:29 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 319 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster

OK, now you've got Weird Al Yankovich's song "Amish Paradise" rolling in the soundtrack in my mind...
Likes For JulesCW:
Old 04-15-23, 03:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by JulesCW
OK, now you've got Weird Al Yankovich's song "Amish Paradise" rolling in the soundtrack in my mind...
I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking that!

I did watch most of the video, and identify with the feeling of being left behind by the bike industry as I pick a level of technology that I'm willing to stick with. In some regards, small manufacturers have popped up to provide replica or replacement parts for some of the consumables, and I was lucky to stash away a small supply of consumables 20 years ago. With enough people pushing back against "tech for the sake of tech", it can be possible to step back to an earlier level. The fact that you can find vinyl records in mainstream stores is evidence of this.
(and I'm amazed to find Led Zeppelin among those vinyl records! I guess I grew up in the era of classical composers?)

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-15-23, 03:48 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 88 Posts
Pffffffft. The AMISH with their fancy wheeeeeeels.
Old 04-15-23, 04:42 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
https://youtu.be/nwsG49-C7I4

The point is merely to attract eyeballs. Odd and meaningless controversies and comparisons will do that.
Faux/CNN? Same thing.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-15-23, 10:09 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
As I ride through the valley where I normally train
I look down and admire my bike's handmade chromoly frame!
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me,
You know I shift with my hands, not electricity!

...etc...

I never shift with buttons, but I got a cycling cap, and my homies agree, fenders look good with a mudflap!
Ride a brevet with us, you'll be bored to tears, as we lecture all about friction shifting our gears!
But we ain't really quaint, so please don't point and stare, we're just retrogrouches to be fair.
There's no powermeter, no carbon, not a single luxury!
Like Robinson Crusoe, it's as primitive as can be!

etc.

Old 04-16-23, 05:58 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 340 Posts
Lets party like it's 1699

Thanks everybody, I hadn't heard that song
Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 04-16-23, 08:10 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
Interesting vid but some oldschool people wouldn't change their habits, they will keep their rim brakes and not change for disc brakes, same with people who prefer mecanical shifters to di2 and tubeless aero wheels were already available, the disc brake trend became a trend in 2013/2014 in the pro peloton. Carbon frames, not everyone is into riding on carbon,people who are in classic bikes like high end steel or very high end alumnium or a very high end titanium frames.
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-16-23, 09:19 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Say what you like, they didn't call off the ride because the weather was atrocious. I suppose if they did, in England, they'd have very few videos.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-16-23, 11:13 AM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
The point is merely to attract eyeballs. Odd and meaningless controversies and comparisons will do that.
Faux/CNN? Same thing.
They all use the same line "don't forget to click and subscribe!" Sheeple's haha
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 04-16-23, 11:17 AM
chain_whipped

This is a very good study and read when the UCI officially gave disc brakes the go. Credit René Herse cycles.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 04-16-23, 01:59 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
It really is the makers pushing this. It benefits THEM not the riders.

"He indicated that the introduction of disc brakes was due to sponsors’ demands. With the big component and bike makers pushing discs, it was useful if pro racers used the new technology."

"Really good rim brakes stop just as well as even the best disc brakes. And many riders find that rim brakes offer superior feel: The brake lever is directly connected to the rim via a cable, rather than having the feedback dulled by the wind-up of the spokes and by hydraulic fluid."

"For now, it’s clear that disc brakes don’t offer a big advantage over the best rim brakes."
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 04-16-23, 02:05 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

a good article but the best part for me is here
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-16-23, 02:05 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Well, I watched another GCN video which I did not particularly enjoy. Both videos seemed somehow "off" to me,... missing the mark, irrelevant.

My frame of reference is 1970's steel framed, Nuovo Record, tubed clinchers. My objectives are fulfilled by that. I am not a racer, performance cyclist,... I have no need for what is being sold, no matter the performance improvements. Especially so, if it costs even remotely near $10k.

I will go so far as to say, the two speakers are elitists. How many people will spend $10k for a bicycle for Johnny or for themselves? I suspect it is very few.

P.S. - Laziness (borne of listening to some here) resulted in my tire pressures going down into the 80 psi range. I got my first flat in over a year, a puncture. My tire pressures are now back where they belong.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 04-16-23 at 02:11 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 04-16-23, 02:08 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 410 Posts
It is extremely annoying when I read articles all about how the disc brake trend is coming from consumer demand rather than it being pushed onto us by manufacturers...as if consumer demand isn't driven by marketing from the manufacturers...
Old 04-16-23, 02:25 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Piff
It is extremely annoying when I read articles all about how the disc brake trend is coming from consumer demand rather than it being pushed onto us by manufacturers...as if consumer demand isn't driven by marketing from the manufacturers...
Not disputing that some of this stuff is being pushed by the manufacturers, but I've watched my friends adopt carbon fiber rims for the light weight and aerodynamics, and then be surprised that the braking with rim brakes was terrible. Watched a buddy just about slide into an intersection because the brake pads weren't getting a grip on the sidewalls of the carbon rims.

My impression is that people like carbon rims for the light weight and ability to produce a light deep section aero rim. The disc brakes are just the (additional) price to be able use those carbon rims. Of course, now disc brakes are becoming standardized for more bikes... but I haven't been paying attention as to whether carbon rims are also standard on disc brake equipped road bikes.

For my fellow local recreational road cyclists, we aren't fast enough to worry about aerodynamics or cutting the last few ounces of weight from the bike. To some degree, this is just the sort of bike that you get when you buy a bike at a shop. It's also the kind of bike that shops are used to working on now, so that might be a factor too. It's certainly the path of least resistance, and most folks aren't interested in the hassles of maintaining a bike whose parts are unavailable or only available in low grade versions (thinking of some 8 speed cassettes I've bought lately).

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-16-23, 05:19 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Early 1930's with Reynolds HM tubing and A&P fork is as good as it gets. The rims and the derailleurs got better with time, but everything else is marketing.
Flibbeldy-floog!
Old 04-16-23, 06:37 PM
chain_whipped

Of course its the duty of marketing in keeping the revenue wheels lubed. Amazing Shimano cycling products division can push $4 billion annual sales. And substantially dominant for the high end cycling products overall world wide markets.

Certainly appreciate engineering and technology but the humble bicycle target market is weak for a country as the USA. We're an easy sell and typically justify having a high turnover of wholegoods, even if the product has staying power and longevity.

The talk of brakes on bikes is a favorite buzzword for bikes sales and shops. Never had issues with a powerful V brake / Kool stop's and proper set up on mountain bikes, but certainly will take quality hydraulic disc brakes over them.

But its definitely not my want of disc on a go fast road bikes. (Let alone for city townie or touring. Keep it simple, easy service, parts for pittance and available at every wal-mart.) Even if one has cantilevers, use of a $15 upgrade like Suntour power link from years ago or a similar I think still available from Tektro. That tiny simple part-----awesome leverage, feel and modulation, add Kool Stop's salmon inserts, bring on the rain.

Please help those gotta have's. In the works is electronic linear motor / servo wireless controlled disc brake calipers. Second element to that will have compatible rotors for ABS.

And all the cool kids on their 'special' classification 'gravel bike' are lined up for the electronic dropper post.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 04-16-23, 06:49 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The rims and the derailleurs got better with time, but everything else is marketing.
Flibbeldy-floog!
Bahhumbug! Fiamme aluminum tubulars with eyelets came out in 1934. Nothing new there. And we all know derailleurs are for swissies.

Likes For iab:
Old 04-16-23, 08:55 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
Not disputing that some of this stuff is being pushed by the manufacturers, but I've watched my friends adopt carbon fiber rims for the light weight and aerodynamics, and then be surprised that the braking with rim brakes was terrible. Watched a buddy just about slide into an intersection because the brake pads weren't getting a grip on the sidewalls of the carbon rims.

My impression is that people like carbon rims for the light weight and ability to produce a light deep section aero rim. The disc brakes are just the (additional) price to be able use those carbon rims. Of course, now disc brakes are becoming standardized for more bikes... but I haven't been paying attention as to whether carbon rims are also standard on disc brake equipped road bikes.

For my fellow local recreational road cyclists, we aren't fast enough to worry about aerodynamics or cutting the last few ounces of weight from the bike. To some degree, this is just the sort of bike that you get when you buy a bike at a shop. It's also the kind of bike that shops are used to working on now, so that might be a factor too. It's certainly the path of least resistance, and most folks aren't interested in the hassles of maintaining a bike whose parts are unavailable or only available in low grade versions (thinking of some 8 speed cassettes I've bought lately).

Steve in Peoria
I know where I can cut a few ounces.
It isn’t the bike.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-16-23, 08:59 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
They all use the same line "don't forget to click and subscribe!" Sheeple's haha
Awareness
Interest
Desire
Action
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-16-23, 09:21 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I know where I can cut a few ounces.
It isn’t the bike.
It's the Carradice Camper saddlebag with the 12" adjustable wrench in it, isn't it?

Some folks have disposable income and don't mind spending it on fancier wheels. I don't, because then I'd feel obligated to be the first one up the hills. Now I can just point to my 40 year old bike and say "I would have beat you up that hill, but my low gear is just 42 x 24, and the bike weighs 23 pounds". It's not just a shiny old bike, it's an excuse!

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 04-17-23 at 05:20 AM.
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-16-23, 10:08 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

Steve in Peoria
Some brands like Corima,Shimano ,Reynolds and Zipp manufacture pads for rim brakes for carbon rim brake wheels who can provide a very good braking when needed. Did your buddy has carbon pads installed on his rim brakes?? I will agree that disc brake just adds to the additional price of the wheels and doesn't make it a better wheel. Back in the 2000's until 2014 all of the tour de France riders used rim brakes. Even though in 2018 Rim brakes were dominant in theTour de France,also you change faster a rim brake wheel than a disc brake wheel.The high grade 8speed versions of Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105sc are complicated to find if not impossible to find in local bike shops because no more sold but on ebay you can find them.
Likes For georges1:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.