Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Town Mouse Center Light

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Town Mouse Center Light

Old 04-25-23, 02:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,424 Posts
Town Mouse Center Light

Town Mouse is the company. Center Light is the name of the product. I’m not affiliated, but I’m on the kickstarter mailing list. It looks well made and well priced. And all the parts are replaceable, including the USB-rechargeable battery, so it could last many years.

https://www.townmousebikes.com/]https://www.townmousebikes.com/
​​​​​​​[/url]

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-25-23, 05:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
a little too big for my needs, but the battery life looks promising.
Old 04-26-23, 01:03 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Looks good.
Battery is tiny and is located where the reflector or optic should be. Beam is probably too floody to be a good road light.
Likes For znomit:
Old 04-28-23, 11:12 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Several headlights from Fenix embrace a couple of appealing (to me) characteristics of this light:
  • Use of a standard, easily-removable Li-Ion battery.
  • Not very plastic-y construction.
The Fenix lights I'm thinking of - BC 30 V2.0, BC26R, and BC21R - are all substantially larger than the Town Mouse Center Light, and I think a lot of that is just a consequence of battery size.

Town Mouse has settled on a different compromise between size and capacity, and I can understand that the result will be appealing to some riders. More power to them!
Old 04-28-23, 05:35 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
Town Mouse has settled on a different compromise between size and capacity, and I can understand that the result will be appealing to some riders. More power to them!
More power to them.
Less power for them.
Old 04-29-23, 12:39 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Does it have a good beam, or is it just whatever they thought looked good? Which I disagree with, btw.
Old 05-05-23, 05:46 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
What was wrong with the first light this guy created?
Old 05-07-23, 06:18 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
Several headlights from Fenix embrace a couple of appealing (to me) characteristics of this light:
  • Use of a standard, easily-removable Li-Ion battery.
  • Not very plastic-y construction.
The Fenix lights I'm thinking of - BC 30 V2.0, BC26R, and BC21R - are all substantially larger than the Town Mouse Center Light, and I think a lot of that is just a consequence of battery size.

Big fan of anything that uses li-ion in a standard sizing that can be swapped out. If you use a light hard you're only going to get maybe one or two years of *great* performance out of that battery before it starts to lose capacity. Especially in the case where you're using an 18350 which will be "reaching" more at those high amp draws.

That was one of the reasons I went for the BC21R (one of models you noted). Takes 18650 and can charge it in the light but also swap out. It also has a pseudo-cutoff which is nice.
Old 05-07-23, 07:11 AM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
That was one of the reasons I went for the BC21R (one of models you noted). Takes 18650 and can charge it in the light but also swap out. It also has a pseudo-cutoff which is nice.
I really like my BC30 V2.0. That does not have any ability to charge batteries in the light, but it uses a battery tray that makes it very easy to remove/replace the batteries.

I have other lights that use 18650 (flashlight; headlamp; lantern), so the two in my bike light are additional capacity in a pinch, e.g., extended power outage.

You might already know this, but if not, be aware that the Fenix Store can sell the handlebar mounts for these lights separately. I couldn't find it on their web site, but I contacted customer support, and they sent me a link that allowed me to add it to my cart. It makes it very easy to swap one light between two or more bikes.
Old 05-07-23, 07:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Here's a tip for you electrical engineer-mechanical engineer duos with bright ideas for new bicycle lights: you need an optical designer to complete the team if you're serious in 2023.

Originally Posted by Wiggle
You can also stuff a Panasonic 3400mAh 18650 in that BC21R...and carry a spare. All night light and higher quality & capacity than the battery most companies solder in place and make non-removable/replaceable in their lights.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-07-23, 12:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,941 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Here's a tip for you electrical engineer-mechanical engineer duos with bright ideas for new bicycle lights: you need an optical designer to complete the team if you're serious in 2023.

You can also stuff a Panasonic 3400mAh 18650 in that BC21R...and carry a spare. All night light and higher quality & capacity than the battery most companies solder in place and make non-removable/replaceable in their lights.
also, I think it'd be ok to develop an inexpensive headlight & taillight that has the function with battery tethered to the light body for allowing better mounting & a bigger battery with more capacity as well as having the central mount for the on/off function up front maybe for sharing the bottle cage mount.