Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 830 Died but Now Alive

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-22, 02:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts

A resurrection story. With the bad weather in the PNW, my Garmin has not been used for over a month and who knows what the level of charge was on that last ride. Yesterday took the bike to my take off place and it was a big no bueno - no nothing. Did the ride the old fashioned way recording with Strava on my phone, but my Varia was useless other than just blinking. It was the first time in years riding with no data on speed, etc (but still managed a couple of PRs).

Got home and plugged it in to charge and the charger was warm, so that was promising. Tried to awaken it and nothing. Let it charge overnight and still nothing. Tried holding various buttons and combinations for seconds and still nothing.

Entered into a web search: ‘Edge 830 dead’ and it took me to the Garmin site where it had reset instructions. Hold down the — key (Upper left red lined key) for ten seconds and poof, it started right up. It did show Km/Hr which was easy to switch back to MPH.

Last edited by rsbob; 01-30-22 at 02:52 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-30-22, 03:37 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I wish turning it off meant that it was off and not burning battery. My daughter brought me my 830 recently complaining that it was making an annoying noise. It needed to be charged. If she hadn't noticed, I probably would have had to do what you did.
Old 01-30-22, 04:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
unterhausen
Hold the power button for a few seconds and you'll get the option to turn it off instead of just putting it to sleep.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-30-22, 04:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sometimes it just takes a little voodoo to raise the dead.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-03-23, 07:12 AM
Estrellita
Klein FanBoy

Bikes: Klein Attitude Race, Trek Madone, Giant Adventure Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tried the fix noted above ie: hold power button for 10 seconds, and still nothing. Thinking that perhaps the unit was out of battery life I plugged it in and Presto! Powered up but interestingly showed 99% power. Maybe this will be helpful to someone.
Old 06-03-23, 07:22 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Estrellita
Tried the fix noted above ie: hold power button for 10 seconds, and still nothing. Thinking that perhaps the unit was out of battery life I plugged it in and Presto! Powered up but interestingly showed 99% power. Maybe this will be helpful to someone.
My friend's 830 did the same thing, but even though the battery level showed a full charge, it only lasted about an hour. It was an old unit, and after so many charge cycles, the battery had given up. It happens. I only wish Garmin would make the battery accessible and replacement batteries available, but I'm sure that would compromise the weather integrity of the unit - and reduce new unit sales.
Old 06-03-23, 11:58 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I just returned an 820 that might have had similar symptoms - started with a battery supposedly at 100% which died in less than 2 hours; when charging, the display said 'charging' when I held it but 'external power removed' when I put it down; a few seconds after displaying charged to 70%, it showed 100%.... There was lots of play in the charging port, which I think was the problem. Luckily, this was 3 weeks before the warranty expired.
Old 06-04-23, 12:25 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Nothing against Edge 830 owners

Garmin units are so early 2000 Technology, havent moved a bit from buggy old very slow software, I have one that came on my 2018 F-150 Ford dashboard Navigation. I don't like it at all. There are better options for bike navigation units in today's Technology not early 2000's.

Nothing against Edge 830 owners, this post just for riders looking to purchase new navigation units for their bikes