Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Santana tandem serial number

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 07:51 PM
Dyna

Bikes: Santana Elan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am pulling my old Santana Elan tandem out of storage. Original paperwork has walked off. I’m 90% sure the bike is an ‘85 because we had a long ride planned when it was ordered and I found out I was slightly pregnant before it was delivered. Turns out when my doctors said I could continue my normal activity she didn’t mean a 100 mi ride. 😬 Anyway, can someone help me zero in on where the serial number should be etched into the frame?
Old 05-18-23, 08:08 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 824 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyna
I am pulling my old Santana Elan tandem out of storage. Original paperwork has walked off. I’m 90% sure the bike is an ‘85 because we had a long ride planned when it was ordered and I found out I was slightly pregnant before it was delivered. Turns out when my doctors said I could continue my normal activity she didn’t mean a 100 mi ride. 😬 Anyway, can someone help me zero in on where the serial number should be etched into the frame?
I think the longest ride my wife did with me while she was slightly pregnant was about 40 miles. They got a bit shorter after that...

Meanwhile, to hopefully answer your question, on our 1993 Vision the serial number (2 letters followed by 3 numbers) is stamped under the captain's bottom bracket on the transverse cable guide.
Old 05-18-23, 10:36 PM
Dyna

Bikes: Santana Elan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe you’ll have more luck stay with it then we did. A handful of short rides but I was busy with the family and he had his life.
Old 05-18-23, 10:41 PM
chain_whipped

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 231 Posts
The two letters typically denoted the builders initials at Santana.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 05-19-23, 12:20 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 1,822 Times in 824 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyna
Maybe you’ll have more luck stay with it then we did. A handful of short rides but I was busy with the family and he had his life.
If you're talking about our Vision, it's currently sitting at a lifetime total of 4,295.2 miles over nearly 28 years of happy ownership. Unfortunately, because of my wife's knees going bad and my son deciding he'd rather do just about anything but ride with his dad, it hasn't seen miles since December of 2020. But it's kept maintained and ready for when it's needed again.

Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-19-23, 11:59 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
I'll never find the thread again, but I faintly recall reading that you could Email Santana with the serial number, and they would reply with some build information. I tried that with one I bought used, oh, 18 months ago, never heard back (shrug).