Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Watch Stops Recording Mid Activity

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 08:30 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts

It happens on my longer (for now) rides. Like a continous activity that is ~1 hour no problem. It seems like if I make any stops my garmin watch craps out and just stops logging the activity totally losing it. I lost a few 30-40 mile rides the last few weeks which hugely affects my overall fitness recommendations, not good. How to I prevent this? Do I need to get power meter and link my HR monitor/garmin watch to my bike computer. I am not a numbers or electronic person but hired a coach to keep a leash on me so to speak because I overtrained last year, just got back into riding and never want this to happen ever again.

So how do I keep my Garmin recording the entire activity without stopping or what I am doing to turn it off despite not turning it off?
Old 05-24-23, 01:22 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Suggest posting this on the Garmin forum for its watches or "wearables" as you will get a lot more in the way of useful feedback.

https://forums.garmin.com/outdoor-re...or-recreation/
Likes For Calsun:
Old 05-24-23, 01:45 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Which Watch Were U Wearing When it Went Wham & whacked your Workout ?

Barry
Old 05-24-23, 06:29 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
How many activities do you already have stored in the device's history?

Garmin devices are known for this rather common (across different devices) firmware bug. When the device's memory becomes almost full (due to a large number of stored historical activities) it is supposed to automatically delete the oldest ones to make room for new recordings. However, in reality it doesn't do it properly, and just fails to complete the new recording when it runs out of memory. For this reason, it is recommended to purge recordings of old activities from the device manually from time to time (assuming you don't need them on the device and/or have synched them out to external storage or service).

Last edited by AndreyT; 05-24-23 at 08:30 PM.