Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How's your winter project coming?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-23-21, 10:47 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
Ouch! That's heart breaking!
It is for sure, and I'm discovering that this is definitely one of those cases where the old methods are more advantageous, as I could have just had gugie do the work. I would be more upset if I didn't have a custom Hampsten on the way in a couple of months. Oh well, it will get fixed, but perhaps not quite as cheaply or quickly as I had hoped.
Old 12-23-21, 10:56 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
It is for sure, and I'm discovering that this is definitely one of those cases where the old methods are more advantageous, as I could have just had gugie do the work. I would be more upset if I didn't have a custom Hampsten on the way in a couple of months. Oh well, it will get fixed, but perhaps not quite as cheaply or quickly as I had hoped.
That is quite a consolation!
Old 12-23-21, 10:59 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 539 Posts
What happened to FedEx? They used to be reliable. Earlier this summer, it took almost a month for my Bianchi frame to get to Oregon from Kansas. I think one of their oxen died along the way. And then for the last week tracking showed it at various places in the Portland area and twice was listed as out for delivery without actually being delivered. I finally changed the delivery location to a local FedEx store and went to get it myself. A friend who works at a local bike shop told me that because of the odd dimensions of bike boxes they often end up in the back of the truck and the driver decides it's not worth the trouble to dig it out.
Maybe it’s an Oregon thing. I had a set of hubs that went MIA and I ended up filing a lost package claim with Amazon and they promptly gave me a refund. The hubs showed up a week later and I contacted the third party vendor about returning them and nothing but crickets.

To there credit, USPS has been brilliant. The longest it took parts to arrive from Italy was 3 calendar weeks.
Old 12-23-21, 11:12 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Maybe it’s an Oregon thing. I had a set of hubs that went MIA and I ended up filing a lost package claim with Amazon and they promptly gave me a refund. The hubs showed up a week later and I contacted the third party vendor about returning them and nothing but crickets.

To there credit, USPS has been brilliant. The longest it took parts to arrive from Italy was 3 calendar weeks.
International shipping is a mystery to me. I've had several experiences where I ordered things from Europe and other things from the East Coast of the U.S. on the same day and had the shipment from Europe get to my house first. I guess it's a truck vs. plane thing?
Old 12-23-21, 11:21 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 539 Posts
International shipping is a mystery to me. I've had several experiences where I ordered things from Europe and other things from the East Coast of the U.S. on the same day and had the shipment from Europe get to my house first. I guess it's a truck vs. plane thing?
Same experiences here. It is indeed a mystery.

Back to projects….

My 1940s(?) Canadian market Rudge single speed is nearly “done”. The original paint still looks like hell but mechanically it should function like new. Pics will posted soon-ish.
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 12-23-21, 11:22 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
My new gravel bike

I've had this pile of tubes and bits since it was last winter's project.
Old 12-23-21, 11:26 AM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by gugie
I've had this pile of tubes and bits since it was last winter's project.
That's a nice looking bike! Just needs a bit of love.
Old 12-23-21, 11:34 AM
Andy Antipas 

Bikes: too many old steel bikes

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 937 Times in 176 Posts
Winter Project

I'm in the midst of my winter project. More to come in the near future......

Likes For Andy Antipas:
Old 12-23-21, 11:43 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts

Not as swiftly as I would like. Apparently the stays that came with these fenders are for 30" wheels. At least.

Old 12-23-21, 11:44 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 3,104 Times in 1,954 Posts
My storage solution

I told A few folks about my silly storage solution when my storage unit place told me my rent was going up $20/mo. Instead of just laughing it off, like most people would, I present my new storage solution...$800

...only until my work-shed is built when I retire...

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 12-23-21, 11:45 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,442 Times in 646 Posts
Thomas's Cino project has been stalled for a few weeks. I'm pretty sure it'll pick up steam again after Christmas. morning..

I'll likely make some changes on the Jeff Lyon( shorter crankset, tape and saddle, etc.). I have a couple of mountain bikes that need maintenance, and one or two bikes to move on to new owners.

Merry Christmas C&V members! And a very Happy New Year.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 12-23-21, 12:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4507 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Hopefully Mr. Lippy will bail you out. That being said I would expect anybody who will actually take it on will charge at least $500 and be several months out. If Dave quoted you 6ish months I would get it to him if you are going to bite the bullet.

The tide will turn for many builders once we get in the new year and lead times will be a year out in many cases, prices go up to scare off the repair work that hampers new frame production too for some.

I have never seen a crack estimated for less than $4-500 that wasn't a dropout or fork repair, its never cheap, let alone affordable.

You know I'm a big fan of Dave's and while all those listed here are in the world class category, Dave's experience puts at the head of the class IMO. There isn't any medium or type of repair or bike he hasn't built.

I would get it to Dave stat ifin I was you.
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-23-21, 12:21 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

@johnnyace

Here's a couple more you might check with.

CERNITZbike

bantam bicycle works
Likes For merziac:
Old 12-23-21, 12:39 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I suppose the winter project is finding a framebuilder with TIG welding capabilities to repair the crack where the top tube and head tube meet on my newly-acquired Ritchey Break Away.

I consulted with gugie on the matter, who suggested possibly Breadwinner in Portland. I contacted Dave Levy at TiCycles, who quoted $500, which included replacing the head tube, and a date of July 2022. I've also sent an email out to Keith Lippy here in Salem, who is technically retired from framebuilding, but has apparently done repairs for others in the area recently. I haven't heard back from him yet.
Have you posted to the framebuilder section of Bike Forums? Maybe someone will take this up. Also might contact UBI in Ashland - they have lots of connections.
Old 12-23-21, 12:40 PM
RandyK1977

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My winter project is getting a bike bought and built for my nephew. I want to post pics but can't until I post at least 10 times apparently ha
Likes For RandyK1977:
Old 12-23-21, 12:51 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by RandyK1977
My winter project is getting a bike bought and built for my nephew. I want to post pics but can't until I post at least 10 times apparently ha
Welcome to Bike Forums! You'll find a friendly and knowledgeable crowd here.

The 10 post rule was imposed to keep trolls and bots out. It's a short probationary period, and you can easily get to 10 posts quickly.
Old 12-23-21, 01:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I've been helping strangers with their winter projects. I've sold almost everything that has the word "Campagnolo" on it from my bin: wheels, hubs, derailleurs, crankset, you name it.

The bad/jealous part is when they bring their project frame along with them to show me, like a beautifully preserved orange Stella.
Old 12-23-21, 02:26 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
What happened to FedEx? They used to be reliable. Earlier this summer, it took almost a month for my Bianchi frame to get to Oregon from Kansas. I think their only oxen died along the way. And then for the last week tracking showed it at various places in the Portland area and twice was listed as out for delivery without actually being delivered. I finally changed the delivery location to a local FedEx store and went to get it myself. A friend who works at a local bike shop told me that because of the odd dimensions of bike boxes they often end up in the back of the truck and the driver decides it's not worth the trouble to dig it out.
FIFY. I had a problem with FedEx earlier this year when a frameset coming to me from the west coast got lost in the shuffle for about a week, and then someone at my local FedEx refused the package because they thought it contained batteries (something about mysterious markings on the box). To their credit, my local Fed Ex gave me a special phone number to use to talk to an actual human and get it all straightened out. Previously they were quite reliable!
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-23-21, 02:38 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
And here I thought you had given up on vintage bikes! It's shocking to hear that the Black Mtn is suffering neglect.
Well, old bikes still mostly suck to ride but working on them can be fun.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-23-21, 02:44 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by merziac
+1 on in store pickup, I always do this so it doesn't sit on the porch to get taken and I open, inspect to put any damage on them before its out of their hands so they have no recourse or plausible deniability.
What happened to FedEx? They used to be reliable. Earlier this summer, it took almost a month for my Bianchi frame to get to Oregon from Kansas. I think one of their oxen died along the way. And then for the last week tracking showed it at various places in the Portland area and twice was listed as out for delivery without actually being delivered. I finally changed the delivery location to a local FedEx store and went to get it myself. A friend who works at a local bike shop told me that because of the odd dimensions of bike boxes they often end up in the back of the truck and the driver decides it's not worth the trouble to dig it out.
Oops!

Meant to quote Andy, DOH!
Old 12-23-21, 03:03 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
I wish I had a winter project! In 2021 I have been in N-1 mode.
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 12-23-21, 05:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I suppose the winter project is finding a framebuilder with TIG welding capabilities to repair the crack where the top tube and head tube meet on my newly-acquired Ritchey Break Away.

I consulted with gugie on the matter, who suggested possibly Breadwinner in Portland. I contacted Dave Levy at TiCycles, who quoted $500, which included replacing the head tube, and a date of July 2022. I've also sent an email out to Keith Lippy here in Salem, who is technically retired from framebuilding, but has apparently done repairs for others in the area recently. I haven't heard back from him yet.

That is nasty looking. Be interesting to see what Mr. Lippy has to say.
Just don't bring up Masi...
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-23-21, 06:11 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I dropped off some wheels at my guy's place at the start of cyclocross season. That's his busy season, I have to wait.

I turned down my seatpost from 27.2 to 27.0. I now need to now turn it down to 26.8.

I did get a 131 spindle that with a 2.5mm spacer, works with my crank. The 127 was too short. Stupid aluminum chainring.

I still need a first-gen cambio corsa. Any leads?
Old 12-23-21, 06:31 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
My project for this winter is just making a few minor changes on bikes that I own, and to do deep cleaning on the ones that get the majority of the miles. I also want to build a bike rack on my enclosed rear porch, and get my bike stuff organized in the same area. No purchases, no builds.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-23-21, 07:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Another one without an exciting winter project. I've settled into a pattern of taking a bike or two apart over the winter for cleaning, maintenance, and tweaks. Most often, that's the rando bike. Part of my original weight savings on that bike was to downsize to one water bottle cage -- this winter's project is to shave off 40-60 grams so that the second bottle cage can be added back with no penalty. So trivial and nerdy I'm not sure if it merits much discussion otherwise.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-23-21 at 08:24 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.