Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh MK II

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Raleigh MK II

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 09:05 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclophilia
One change you might consider, if you are tall enough to ride this bike, would be clincher rims and tires. The old glued-on sew up tires require more maintenance than most riders are willing to accommodate.
Looking closely at the photos, I believe that the rims have already been changed to clinchers. The bar end shifters were also not part of the stock setup on that bike
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-23-22, 02:17 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by jgleas13
Hi gugie - I'm currently living in New York City but spend a lot of time in Boston with family. I appreciate the willingness to help now that my challenge will be to figure out how and where to get it refurbished.

Any suggestions on how to find a shop that will do it right? Is it safe to take it to a normal tech (REI, local shop, etc.) or do I need someone that specializes in older bikes?

I found a shop in Kentucky that interestingly worked on two similar bikes https://www.vicsclassicbikes.com/ral...fessional-mk2/
I'm in Manhattan, as are a few others that haven't weighed in yet...REI won't have any idea what to do with this. Feel free to PM me and we can chat. One shop that comes to mind is Larry's Freewheeling on 110 off Central Prk West. Larry is a veteran of the industry and he and some of his mechanics understand vintage. He'd know what that is and has a stash of some old stuff. Paging @noglider for other recommendations. I endorse learning some about the mechanics - it's not beyond us mere mortals, and for some of us it's very gratifying!

EDIT: Adding a link to this definitive article which covers the Mk II thoroughly.

Last edited by ascherer; 03-23-22 at 02:27 PM. Reason: More info
Likes For ascherer:
Old 03-23-22, 02:52 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Andy, thank you for tagging me.
@JGLeas, I agree that Larry's shop is great for old bikes even though you may not see a lot there when you visit. Larry is in his 80s and has been a bike mechanic since he was a boy. He has seen it all and can do all the old things and all the new things. Larry is on W 110 St, convenient to the true center of Manhattan, i.e. the Upper West Side where I grew up. Fun Fact, the street in the center of the Island's length, is 86 St.

And there is a guy named Pedro who works at Waterfront Bicycles on West St at Christopher St, in the West Village. He is quick, precise, knowledgeable, and strong. He's not old, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I live very near the shop in the West Village.

If you're in Washington Heights or Inwood, now fashionably known as Upstate Manhattan, you could stop at a shop called Tread on Dyckman St.

I have spare Campagnolo parts from that era, taking up space in my junk bins, so if you need any parts or expertise, let me know. I've worked on tons of Raleighs from the 70s and I own a few right now. You've got a lot of Raleigh afficionados locally, willing and eager to help.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 03-23-22, 02:55 PM
jgleas13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you all! I'm 6' 2" and my grandfather was 6' 3" so I think that I should be fine but appreciate the concern as it's a good point.

I'll definitely start looking for someone that's sympathetic to older bikes and will follow up on each of the comments mentioned. Key takeaway seems to be that I need to stick with older parts and try to stay away from new stuff.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice!
Old 03-23-22, 03:08 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Thank you all! I'm 6' 2" and my grandfather was 6' 3" so I think that I should be fine but appreciate the concern as it's a good point.

I'll definitely start looking for someone that's sympathetic to older bikes and will follow up on each of the comments mentioned. Key takeaway seems to be that I need to stick with older parts and try to stay away from new stuff.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice!
Noglider and ascherer are great, trustworthy and knowledgeable people. Both can be great help.
Old 03-23-22, 03:19 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
In terms of staying away from newer parts - not necessarily.

New brake blocks are made by kool stop for the pad holders on your record caliper brakes. New stainless steel cables, new lined housings, new clincher tires (tan wall vittoria corsa g series come to mind), new bar tape, new tubes, new ball bearings and new grease are all nice ideas. I think the issue would arise if someone wanted to replace any of the components with modern ones (derailleurs, shifters, crankset, etc.). That would not be in keeping with the bike is my eyes.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 03-23-22, 05:50 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
One thing to consider is how to cable the bar ends if you choose to keep them (I vote yes). There's two generally accepted ways of doing it and yours is neither, even if they work. Talk to the mechanic you choose and get some input.
Also, the front wheel appears to have the correct high flange Campy Record hub but the rear hub is hidden by a dork disc. When you rebuild the bike, please feel free to post comprehensive before and after pics. We like it.
Old 03-24-22, 12:46 PM
jgleas13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
noglider ascherer - I gave Larry's a call yesterday and had a great conversation about the bike. I'll be heading up to his shop on 110 street on Friday!

I'll definitely be taking you up on the offer for help if needed. I'd love to try to figure out some of this stuff on my own and could definitely use some guidance.
Likes For jgleas13:
Old 03-24-22, 02:29 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
noglider ascherer - I gave Larry's a call yesterday and had a great conversation about the bike. I'll be heading up to his shop on 110 street on Friday!

I'll definitely be taking you up on the offer for help if needed. I'd love to try to figure out some of this stuff on my own and could definitely use some guidance.
A beautiful development!