Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will 2 weeks off the bike derail my century training if...?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 09-05-13, 06:15 PM
lungimsam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

...I will be out of the country a couple weeks due to family emergency, then back for a week before the century?

Anything I should/shouldn't do over that week when I return to help my fitness for the ride?

My first century. Training has been long rides on weekends and commuting during the week over the summer.

I am not a Rando person, just a lowly 15mph commuter.
Old 09-05-13, 08:57 PM
mprelaw

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hard to say. Last year, I was called out of town unexpectedly, and was off the bike from August 8th through the 19th. I was able to do a century on September 8, and didn't feel like the lay-off hurt me much, if at all.

YMMV.
Old 09-05-13, 09:07 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
You will be OK.

Last June I rode with Mary on a 100 mile ride.

She only had 2 training rides with a total of 55 miles for the entire year.

Old 09-05-13, 09:46 PM
karenashg

Bikes: 198? Colnago, 2010 Jamis Quest, 2013 Wabi Classic 46x18

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got this: https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Danielsons.../dp/193403097X

I really like the workouts in it, and if you can take time to do them while you're away, that would at least help you with your core strength and stamina. Nothing to be done about the loss of saddle conditioning, but maybe your back, neck, and arms wouldn't be hurting along with your butt...
Old 09-06-13, 12:03 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Its called extreme tapering. Just watch the carb loading.
Old 09-06-13, 01:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
1. What is your longest ride in the last couple months?

2. Can you keep active while you're away ... long walks? some cycling?
Old 09-06-13, 08:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Its called extreme tapering. Just watch the carb loading.
Or "strategic deconditioning."
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-07-13, 06:46 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
1. What is your longest ride in the last couple months?

2. Can you keep active while you're away ... long walks? some cycling?
If you were well trained for the century before the break, a couple of weeks is no problem as long as you continue with good nutrition and stay active. In fact, taking a week of light activity prior to such an event can actually improve performance (two weeks is stretching it). I don't know where you will be going but you can always do core exercises, walk/run, stretch/yoga, etc. Look for a gym or even bike rentals near where you will be. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to make up for lost time by overtraining when you return. You want to be healed up and fresh the morning of your century, not sore and tired.
Old 09-08-13, 06:15 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by lungimsam
...I will be out of the country a couple weeks due to family emergency, then back for a week before the century?

Anything I should/shouldn't do over that week when I return to help my fitness for the ride?

My first century. Training has been long rides on weekends and commuting during the week over the summer.

I am not a Rando person, just a lowly 15mph commuter.
It depends on(at least to me), whether you are doing it on your own, with a group of cyclists', and whether it is organized.

I will be doing a (metric)century on 9-22-2013. The group that organizes it yearly is https://www.backroadscentury.org They just posted the routes a couple days ago and the (metric)century has rest stops at 12.7mi., 30.7mi., 43.6mi., and 56.6mi., before finishing at 65mi.. In my opinion that is too many rest stops to make it challenging. The (full)century has stops 25.4mi., 51.2mi., 64mi., 79.4mi., 92.4mi., and finishes at 100.9mi.. They should have stuck with the 25mi. legs to make that one challenging.
Old 09-09-13, 06:32 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're allowed to skip rest stops
Old 09-11-13, 08:36 PM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I expect you'll be fine, though it depends on how long your long rides have been. 60-90 miles, no problem. If they're under half the century distance, though, it might be a challenge. But not because of the 2 weeks off. When you get back, I'd do a long ride ASAP after the return, then some short (10-20 mile) rides with some speedwork in the next few days, followed by at most 5-10 mile slow rides in the day or 2 before the century.
Old 09-11-13, 08:53 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
my understanding (from a while ago, science may have changed) is that anything less than 2 weeks off will not change your fitness. I have proven this to myself in the past, although for me it's hard not to gain weight with two weeks off. If there are fitness changes after two weeks off, they should be slight.
Old 05-30-14, 11:53 AM
RISKDR1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
the break could actually be beneficial. Especially if you have the base miles that you need. Pretty much nothing that you do two weeks before the event is going to add to your fitness in a significant way. What the break will do is heal any micro tears in muscles and allow your body to build its glycogen reserves. Just don't pig out on a high fat diet or take in a lot of sugar. Make sure you do daily full body stretching. If you were a sprinter or 10 k runner it could hurt your performance on race day but for long distance I don't think so.
Old 05-30-14, 12:09 PM
skol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKDR1
the break could actually be beneficial. Especially if you have the base miles that you need. Pretty much nothing that you do two weeks before the event is going to add to your fitness in a significant way. What the break will do is heal any micro tears in muscles and allow your body to build its glycogen reserves. Just don't pig out on a high fat diet or take in a lot of sugar. Make sure you do daily full body stretching. If you were a sprinter or 10 k runner it could hurt your performance on race day but for long distance I don't think so.
agree - try to get in some cardio while out of town if you can. Don't over train when you get back to "catch up"..enjoy the ride, eat and drink more than you think you need and have your mind right as its a mental game as you get tired.
Old 08-31-14, 04:00 PM
Rapido
Green lights for all

Location: Ohio, Germany, Florida, West Virginia, and then Georgia now

Bikes: Fuji Team SL 20 spd, Nishiki, Mercian 12 spd. Alan 10 spd, Frejus, Bauer, Motobecane, Schwinn, JC Higgins 3 spd, Columbia coaster brake, Magna BMX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take along a jump rope, do it the way boxers do, start out by doing just 50 jumps, and add 25 jumps more every session. Progressive overload. If there are stairs available, run them two at a time and keep a record of the time. Remember, progressive overload and start well within your present capacity and gradually add more duration. This will keep you in shape indefinitely.
Old 06-14-22, 05:37 PM
NewToEndurance

Bikes: Cannnondale Synapse

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Myosmith
If you were well trained for the century before the break, a couple of weeks is no problem as long as you continue with good nutrition and stay active. In fact, taking a week of light activity prior to such an event can actually improve performance (two weeks is stretching it). I don't know where you will be going but you can always do core exercises, walk/run, stretch/yoga, etc. Look for a gym or even bike rentals near where you will be. Whatever you do, DO NOT try to make up for lost time by overtraining when you return. You want to be healed up and fresh the morning of your century, not sore and tired.
I know this is an old post, but I've never done a multi-century before and I'm in even more of a desperate situation hah. I'm doing a race from Massachusetts to Connecticut June 24-26. I got a really late start on my training due to an injury, so I haven't worked my way up to a double-century in the training yet (though I have done multi-day training). I'm thinking about doing a back-to-back 75 mi day this Thurs & Fri, but a little concerned about overtraining since the event is in 10 days.

Below is a new thread I started but have yet to get responses (sorry about the bold, couldn't switch it). PLEASE HELP, and thank you!!

I'm doing the Tri-State Trek from Boston to Greenwich (CT) from June 24- 26. The trek is 270 miles over 3 days, about 90 miles/day.
A few months ago, right before I was set to begin my training, I tore my bicep and had surgery. Rehab has gone well, but I've only had ~5 weeks to train on a bike (2 of those weeks on a stationary bike).
Outdoor training rides I've done so far (8 total):

May 28th - 2 hrs
May 29th - 2.5 hrs

June 2nd - 3 hrs
June 3rd - 3.5 hrs
June 4th - 3.5 hrs

June 10th - 5.5 hrs
June 11th - 4.5 hrs
June 12th - 2.5 hrs

Now, with 10 days left,I'm looking for a plan to help me get to the finish line. I'm not backing out. It's for a cause a strongly believe in. My goal is to finish the race.
Can you please offer recommendations on how you would spend these remaining training days if you were me?

Relevant background:

- former college athlete (mid 30's now)
- been active since college with various sports including soccer and basketball
- NO endurance cycling experience; NO cycling-as-a-hobby experience (transportation in college, junior high)
- I understand training recovery: diet, rest, stretching, roll out/massage, etc.

I took this Thurs and Friday off of work to support any remaining training I need to do. (Training needs to conclude next Tues; I leave for Boston -from CA- next Wed).
Old 06-15-22, 06:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
there is not a lot of training you can do in the time you have left that will help. I suggest your training should be easy to recover from. A couple of ~60 mile rides in the first of the 2 weeks should be okay. My issue with multi-day rides has always been getting up and riding on the second day. Once I get 10 miles in, there aren't any problems continuing. So your second 75 mile ride could be a 25 mile ride instead.