Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The 33 Goes Zwifting

Old 04-03-20, 08:04 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Does anyone know how Zwiftpower works? I see the results for the event I did, and it shows me getting 4th, even though I was about 3 miles in front of the "winner"
Old 04-14-20, 07:28 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
For anyone wanting to do Alpe, I'm going up it starting now, maybe 10 min before I hit the "gate". Aki.Sato|EXPO

I'm going slow, with a couple friends intending on joining, you can shell me once we hit the gate.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 04-18-20, 03:35 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Been jumping in to B races after regular weekend work outs. Yeah I have no idea how zwiftpower works either. Start like 200 something end up in like top 60, zwiftpower says I got top 10. Pretty sure there were more than 10 people in front of me in my category. Basically doing it to get some extra intensity/miles and it provides motivation.
Old 04-18-20, 06:30 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
I finally used the Wahoo desk I bought. Yesterday I hopped on, loaded zwift on my phone, turned on a z2 erg mode workout, and started pedaling while working on my laptop. Being able to pull the desk back and forth and lean on it with my forearms makes a huge difference. I was able to get almost 2 hours in while maintaining a reasonable level of productivity. This may be a gamechanger for me!
Old 04-18-20, 10:20 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
Been jumping in to B races after regular weekend work outs. Yeah I have no idea how zwiftpower works either. Start like 200 something end up in like top 60, zwiftpower says I got top 10. Pretty sure there were more than 10 people in front of me in my category. Basically doing it to get some extra intensity/miles and it provides motivation.
You have to register, which means changing you're account name so they can 'find it'. 2 years ago they used to include everyone in the results but there were some privacy issues so now its only registered Zwiftpower users.

I find that eliminates 50-70% of the riders in most rides.
Old 04-19-20, 07:33 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
You have to register, which means changing you're account name so they can 'find it'. 2 years ago they used to include everyone in the results but there were some privacy issues so now its only registered Zwiftpower users.

Ah, right forgot you had to register with zwift power and give your permission. I kind of just thought it was because someone in B field is putting out 5.0w/kg for most of the race.
Old 04-21-20, 02:28 PM
Cypress

Weather seems to have crapped the bed today, so I'm doing the Velocious Sport Tue Night Criterium (Race) at 4:15 PM tonight in the A category.
Old 04-22-20, 03:31 PM
Cypress

3R Volcano Flat Reverse (a) race at 4:05 pm tonight to make up for yesterday's mechanical circus.
Old 04-23-20, 11:29 AM
esarhaddon
Lurker

Bikes: Trek Domane Koppenberg, Bombtrack Hook 2, Jamis Durango

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Does anyone know how Zwiftpower works? I see the results for the event I did, and it shows me getting 4th, even though I was about 3 miles in front of the "winner"
This is a bit late, but that looks to be the timed group ride type and not a ride/race by distance ... in those events the positions are pretty much meaningless. (I have seen speculation on the zp forums that they are dependent on network lag)

Also if anyone is doing the Wed. USAC series or other events like the 3R Spring Loaded Series, or the Thursday night KOA race ... I am Ned Bowen on zwiftpower.
Old 04-23-20, 11:31 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by esarhaddon
This is a bit late, but that looks to be the timed group ride type and not a ride/race by distance ... in those events the positions are pretty much meaningless. (I have seen speculation on the zp forums that they are dependent on network lag)
I figured that it was because I wasn't registered with Zwiftpower at the time.
Old 06-16-20, 05:25 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts

Yeah, I got my first "win" from zwiftpower, but it sort of takes the joy out of it knowing that, in reality, I was 10th out of 30 or so. Not sure if everyone in front of me was over the power limit or just didn't bother to register with zwiftpower, but they had me as first out of 6 or so. Honestly, the fact that the ride resulted in a new estimated FTP was more exciting (in that neither really means anything, but at least the FTP thing tells me I got a good workout) than "winning" when everyone in front of me was dq'd or not playing the same game.

Last edited by himespau; 06-17-20 at 08:07 AM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-18-20, 06:49 AM
himespau 

There are lots of rumors floating around that Zwift has acquired/taken control of/whatever you want to call it Zwift Power from the guys who set it up. That could be good or bad. If the results are integrated right into Zwift, that'd be good. If they do what I fear and start letting zpower results count, that'll be the end of Zwift racing. Sorry if this is 41 content.
Old 07-18-20, 08:58 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
There are lots of rumors floating around that Zwift has acquired/taken control of/whatever you want to call it Zwift Power from the guys who set it up. That could be good or bad. If the results are integrated right into Zwift, that'd be good. If they do what I fear and start letting zpower results count, that'll be the end of Zwift racing. Sorry if this is 41 content.
How do you mean? I do a Z race or two per week, but don't care about my results that much honestly.

I race A's, but for me It really depends on how many "A+" riders show up, if there are a lot I likely won't finish at the front group. I would like it if Z re-categorized things or made a separate A+ or like pro category. I hung tough this year at Tour de Murrieta with legit pro teams in the crit and circuit race, but Z is much more fitness weighted.
Old 07-18-20, 11:30 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I saw something about zwift being a potential 2024 olympic event, thus a forthcoming serious effort to weed out cheating. I'll be full on old and cranky by then and can hike my pants up around my chest and talk about when people raced bicycles outdoors.

Last edited by gsteinb; 07-18-20 at 11:42 AM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-18-20, 11:32 AM
himespau 

Maybe it's just because I'm fat and slow, but there are a lot of folks using zpower in the lower cats (they don't show up in the results on Zwift Power after they rode away from the field on a dumb trainer using the wrong settings or with their wheel not cranked down tight, but I'm afraid that will change). Not at all calibrated and putting out insane watts (for us at least, maybe reasonable for A+).

Zwift has previously shown that they don't care about people using zpower in races and, other than their cone of shame in a few races, don't really seem to care about sandbaggers either, they just say, "if you want your results, check Zwift Power". They just want as many subscriptions as possible.

Now that Zwift is running Zwift Power, I'm afraid they'll stop requiring actual power and heart rate readings to show up in the results and it will kill any rational competition.

Maybe they won't do that. Maybe they'll be super cool about it and integrate Zwift Power into their site and make opt-in to Zwift Power results automatic so we can see everyone (other than zpower users and those without heartrate monitors) in the results. That'd actually be cool. I don't care if it drops me down in the results as long as the results seem real. Maybe they'll use the Zwift Power average of 95% of best 20 minute power over the last 5 races to determine minimum cat and make hard floors to eliminate sandbaggers.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-18-20, 03:26 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
The new ZADA team is made up of Zwift consultants and employees, with Stephen Chu (Zwift’s General Counsel) acting as administrator. The team has elected to keep all of its members besides Stephen anonymous at this time.

https://zwiftinsider.com/zada-returns/

I thought I read somewhere Zwift had 18 employees working on ZADA.
Old 08-07-20, 06:21 AM
himespau 

Anybody have thoughts on Zwift now allowing steering (through a device that it profits from along with Elite) in races? The fact that you cornering doesn't affect speed (even on hairpins at very high speed) would seem to allow someone with steering to choose lines that cut a fair bit of distance off from the line the computer chooses for the pack, but the fact that you can't bump other riders out of the way and have to find a gap to get directly behind someone to get their draft (as opposed to just maintaining the right speed to be part of the blob for nonsteerers) might take away some of that advantage. My setup doesn't allow me to use their steering device, so it's sort of a moot point for me.
Old 08-07-20, 11:46 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
According to Zwift Insider, they aren't allowing it in races for that reason.

Steering will be disabled for all events by default, since it gives racers an unfair advantage. But event organizers will be able to choose to enable steering.
Old 08-22-20, 10:04 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
So uh do I actually want to get zwift
Old 08-23-20, 09:11 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
When paired with a smart trainer Zwift is a legit game changer. I say yes!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 08-23-20, 09:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

+1 I agree. I actually enjoy riding indoors now and often times prefer it. I'm about 50% indoors these days.
Old 08-23-20, 01:34 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I use zwift but it’s just for some visual input because I do all my workouts with trainerroad on erg mode. I suppose by now I should know enough to build my own training plan/workouts but I really enjoy doing TR plans and they’ve built their product with their calendar and plan builder to make it better. I can’t fully explain but I’m privy to some big upcoming changes with the plan builder as well. I’m ok with having both platforms but I’d gladly drop zwift in favor of TR if I had to. Plenty of other stuff I can throw on TV or I can just listen to stuff on my headphones and be perfectly happy.
Old 08-23-20, 03:44 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My Zwift hasn't been working since I got my hub replaced. Its just not connecting to Apple TV and its really frustrating.

while I don't Zwift nearly as much as TR, its probably the best for keeping in shape. TR its just so easy to quit hard efforts because its just you and some lines.
Old 08-23-20, 05:17 PM
himespau 

My Zwift hasn't been working since I got my hub replaced. Its just not connecting to Apple TV and its really frustrating.

while I don't Zwift nearly as much as TR, its probably the best for keeping in shape. TR its just so easy to quit hard efforts because its just you and some lines.
I'll agree that I'm much more likely to go a lot deeper into the red and stay there longer when it's a race (even a virtual one) than I am in a workout. Visuals help me too (push it until that next whatever works better than hold it for x amount of time). Might be why I've never been very good though.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-24-20, 12:51 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I've done some workouts "free riding" in Zwift with erg mode off that I can see myself repeating. For a while I was doing 2x rep's up Epic KOM with a full loop around and Fuego warmup, good for 2 hrs. I see myself doing that ride a lot in winter again when I'm base training.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.