Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do patched road tubes last?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Do patched road tubes last?

Old 05-08-22, 04:11 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
I seem to remember from childhood a type of patch a neighbor kid had that you had to light on fire to get it to adhere properly.
Old 05-08-22, 07:27 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I've always been under the impression that "vulcanizing fluid" is the same thing as rubber cement. Is this wrong?

I looked it up. They aren't. But interestingly, I also read:
  • Vulcanizing cement needs heat to complete the process of adhesion

So now I am left wondering if what folks in this thread are calling vulcanizing cement is in fact rubber cement?
No, because we're talking about cold vulcanization here.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-08-22, 07:32 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
No, because we're talking about cold vulcanization here.
OK.

Is cold vulcanization glue the same as rubber cement?
Old 05-08-22, 07:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

OK.

No. Rubber cement is just a rubbery glue. It can work pretty well, but the Rema stuff forms a much stronger chemical bond. It's nearly impossible to remove a Rema patch if you've done it right.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-08-22, 07:41 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,915 Posts
OK.

No. Proper cold vulcanization creates permanent bonds between the patch and the tube.
Old 05-08-22, 07:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

OK, it is the trichloroethylene solvent that is different.

cf: MSDS

Canonical rubber cement uses n-heptane, a solvent that has the merit of not being a carcinogen.
Old 05-08-22, 08:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Canonical rubber cement uses n-heptane, a solvent that has the merit of not being a carcinogen.
The MSDS calls out the solvent because it's potentially harmful. That doesn't mean the TCE is what's doing the bonding. Quite the opposite -- we wait for the fluid to dry (solvent has evaporated) before applying the patch.

There have been a lot of threads about this already, and @cyccommute could give a much better explanation of the chemistry if he's not tired of it by now.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-08-22, 08:26 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I'm also a chemist.

I remain skeptical that there is any difference apart from the solvent.

If the solvent isn't the critical difference, why would they use a carcinogenic one?

If I had to guess, [this is wrong; see below] trichloroethylene dissolves the surface layer of the butyl tube a little bit better than n-heptane. It works as a contact cement, so the solvent essentially enables the rubber contact glue to bond to the tube surface as it evaporates. Then the little bit of adhesive on the patch sticks to the tacky surface created on the tube as the solvent evaporates, and the patch bonds to the tube as you apply pressure.

(I've used the little tubes primarily because the solvent dries up after you open it, not because I think it is magically different from rubber cement, which would probably be more than adequate. I found out the hard way the patch works reasonably well even in the absence of any cement.)

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 05-09-22 at 09:35 AM.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-08-22, 08:29 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
I seem to remember from childhood a type of patch a neighbor kid had that you had to light on fire to get it to adhere properly.
​​​​​​
Old 05-08-22, 08:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

I'm also a chemist.

If the solvent isn't the critical difference, why would they use a carcinogenic one?
Maybe it evaporates faster? My experience with rubber cement is that it stays tacky for a really long time, even when you expose it to dry air for days. That's not what we generally want in a tube patch. We want it to stick firmly from the get-go and be completely done curing ASAP.

(The theory you added to your post on edit sounds plausible, too. I just have two semesters of chemistry and a passing interest in how it works. )
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-08-22 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-08-22, 09:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

For the record, I don't know anything about adhesives.
Old 05-08-22, 11:38 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts

An older version of the SDS (Revision 4, 2018), lists n-ethylcyclohexylamine as one of the ingredients. The amine is an accelerator for the process. There’s another SDS for the patch that I can’t seem to locate now but it lists a sulfur compound in the patch material. My understanding of the chemistry is that the accelerator promotes the cross linking process so that it can be carried out at room temperature instead of having to be heated.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-08-22 at 11:42 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-08-22, 11:57 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Anyone here old enough to remember the patches you would clamp in place and bond to the tube by burning them on? There was a flammable fabric on the pack of the patch (encased in a tin form) and you would light it with a match and the heat from the burn would apparently help the bond. I can still smell them! Must have been toxic…like everything else in the early 70’s. LOL
Yes. My father still had some in the '70s. The back side had a pad of what seemed like cardboard made with gunpowder, that you could not put out once lit. Vulcan was the God of Fire, right? Real Vulcanizing involved real fire, that melted the patch material onto the tube. My friend did not believe my warning not to try lighting one, and filled the workshop with smoke minutes before my father came home. What are friends for?
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-09-22, 12:05 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I'm also a chemist.

Probably to speed up evaporation. I’ve seen SDS versions that use naphtha or tricholorethylene. Revision 4 that I linked to lists naphtha as the solvent.

If I had to guess, trichloroethylene dissolves the surface layer of the butyl tube a little bit better than n-heptane. It works as a contact cement, so the solvent essentially enables the rubber contact glue to bond to the tube surface as it evaporates. Then the little bit of adhesive on the patch sticks to the tacky surface created on the tube as the solvent evaporates, and the patch bonds to the tube as you apply pressure.
The solvent has no effect on the bonding. The solvent has completely evaporate for the bond to form. In fact, the bond will form even if the adhesive patch is allowed to stand even for weeks at a time. I’ve forgotten about patch jobs and applied the patch two to three weeks later without problems.

(I've used the little tubes primarily because the solvent dries up after you open it, not because I think it is magically different from rubber cement, which would probably be more than adequate. I found out the hard way the patch works reasonably well even in the absence of any cement.)
The tubes drying out is usually due to improper closure or to cracked tubes…they are aluminum after all. I resist rolling the tube when using it unless there is very little fluid left. A can of fluid with a tightly fitted cap will last for a very long time. Leave the cap off and the solvent goes away very quickly.

I’m not clear on how you can apply a patch without cement.

By the way, I’m not an adhesive chemist either. Did a little bit of work on replacing phenol in phenol/formaldehyde plywood adhesives with wood pyrolysis oils long ago but that’s not this kid of adhesive. I have done a whole lot of studying of Rema’s patch chemistry as part of these kinds of discussions., however.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-09-22, 12:18 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Yes. My father still had some in the '70s. The back side had a pad of what seemed like cardboard made with gunpowder, that you could not put out once lit. Vulcan was the God of Fire, right? Real Vulcanizing involved real fire, that melted the patch material onto the tube. My friend did not believe my warning not to try lighting one, and filled the workshop with smoke minutes before my father came home. What are friends for?
Vulcanization is the curing of an elastomer. The original method invented by Goodyear involved heat but we have progressed since 1839. Cold vulcanizing is a whole lot easier, just as strong, and you don’t need to carry a fire source, a clamp, and a rather bulky patch kit. Hot patching isn’t something that is easily done on the road and, as you found out, it makes some rather nasty smoke.

Old 05-09-22, 08:39 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,135 Times in 1,440 Posts
This thread started to get some insults going. I deleted a couple posts. Let’s stop. If you don’t like a post, how about ignoring and move on rather than insulting?
Likes For StanSeven:
Old 05-09-22, 08:45 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by StanSeven
This thread started to get some insults going. I deleted a couple posts. Let’s stop. If you don’t like a post, how about ignoring and move on rather than insulting?
I apologize. I shouldn’t have responded the way I did.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-09-22, 09:26 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

For the record, I don't know anything about adhesives.
Thank you, as always. I've learned quite a bit.
Old 05-09-22, 10:35 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 Tubes properly patched with Rema brand patches and cement and properly "stitched" to the tube will be fine. The tube should be good as new. Just make sure you sprinkle talc around the patched area so that it doesn't stick to the inside of the tire.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 05-09-22, 11:12 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have a can of the rema cement that's getting a little thick. Is there something I can put in it to thin it out?
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The SDS says that the solvent is naphtha...
I remember my GranPa adding a little Gasoline to and old can of Monkey Grip vulcanizing cement to reconstitute it. He told me you can only do this once because the gasoline will dry it out faster. It worked just fine. Vulcanizing Cement and Gasoline in the 50s had allot of Heptaine in it. Naphtha in modern day vulcanizing cements would be much safer. I am sure he would have used Naphtha if he had had it around.

https://media.napaonline.com/is/cont...y/113869197pdf
Old 05-10-22, 10:59 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The SDS says that the solvent is naphtha. Proportion of solvent needed might be hard to judge. Mineral spirits will probably work. The low flash point, odored version would be better but is hard to find. Try a test on some before adding it to the whole can.
A little OMS seemed to do the trick. I mixed a bit an a baby food jar, and it mixed up ok so I added some directly to the can. Kept adding ~10ml at a time until it reached what seemed like a good working consistency. I'll try to remember to report back how it holds up over time.
Likes For kingston:
Old 05-10-22, 11:15 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Another pro patch tip. A DE razor with an aggressive head works great for shaving down the seams before sanding. I used a cheap Merkur Futur knockoff.
Old 05-10-22, 02:25 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I'm between jobs for a few weeks right now. This must be what Tuesday in retirement will be like for me someday.

Likes For kingston:
Old 05-11-22, 10:45 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Not sure why anyone is messing with old school style patches and cement. These work just as good and no mess...

https://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2
Old 05-11-22, 12:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by prj71
Not sure why anyone is messing with old school style patches and cement. These work just as good and no mess...

https://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2
What's the most number of years you've gotten out of a glueless patch? Par is decades.
RUSA #7498

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.