Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a good used road bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a good used road bike

Old 06-02-22, 10:56 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
if you'regood with what you're riding, don't think you'll feel a radical improvement. My fav bike was my '72 Paramount. I think my Cross Check is as good, not sure that it's really better........

Likes For gorillimo:
Old 06-03-22, 01:47 PM
TLit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Yes, tall people have it tough in this world, fitting into clothes, shoes, automobiles etc.. And they have to stay on top of their health much more than shorter people do as they are at higher risk of a lot of problems that come with age. I quit drinking alcohol regularly after the age of 35 because I WAY overdid it, and I have cut almost all red meat out too for a long time, mostly because the majority of food that is sold in the USA is full of chemicals, genetically modified, Monsanto crap etc.. Even if you go hunting and shoot a deer chances are it has been feasting on Monsanto GMO corn and Roundup chemicals all it's life, so no-thanks. I am lucky my feet stopped at size 13. You sound like you are on all the right tracks. I do have one of those large Schwinn World frames/forks hanging in my garden shed, I was saving it just in case I needed it's extra long frame tubes for some project, but if you can't find one in your area and want one, you can swing by and grab it someday. I am in NorthWest Pennsylvania though. I did drive to Boston one day, slept in a garage on a cot, then back home to buy an old Norton motorcycle that was in a basket though, and even further when I was younger for some pretty stupid reasons.....
Thanks for the offer. I was going to contact the bike owner over in the Fishkill area but it was gone by the time I emailed him.

On health I believe everyone can try to make do with keeping themselves in equal or better health than they have now. The perfect is the enemy of the good; too much focus on perfect food becomes obsessive. Taste can tell us whether something is good or not for us.
Likes For TLit:
Old 06-08-22, 11:31 AM
TLit

Anyone have thoughts on this Univega?

It's big enough for me but one of the 1980s models. I made the guy an offer.

vintage 1984 Univega Viva Touring /Road Bike Bicycle | eBay
Old 07-09-22, 08:53 AM
TLit

I drove over to the Manchester, NH to check out this Univega tourning bike. My bad, it turned out to be 56 cm or so, the dealer jacked up the seat as far as it would go, not comfortable.

I checked out a used Fuji today that is about 6 years old in Vermont on consignment at a shop, 64 cm, standover height bar around 34 inches, $600. Not used very much. The shop said that retail would be around $1500 for it. Is this a good deal? Thanks.

Also went to the West Hill shop in Putney today, dealer showed me an entry level Specialized road bike for around $1000, very helpful in showing me what they sell. 61 cm is their largest.