Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Importance Of Cycling Pants

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 10:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
If you wish to extoll the merits of a bent, at least do it with well reasoned arguments.
I tried that with my 3-year-old nephew: "If you wish to extoll the merits of more candy, at least do it with well reasoned arguments."
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-18-22, 10:52 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Here again you would be wrong. Several of my first adult DF bikes had drop bars. However I spent most of my time on the "hoods". But even tho some would be racer boyz ride on the hoods with their seat jacked way up, their head is still well down, and strain to hold up their heads.

BTW I am not saying people should give up their DF bikes. A mountain bike HAS to be some form of a DF bike. If you have the money and can afford a stable of bikes, I am only suggesting one of them be a recumbent or a trike. But who was it that said that if he ever came home with a bent his wife was to shoot him???
Then I suggest you go buy a DF bike and ride it , instead of blathering on about how horrible they are, and continually criticizing those who ride them and their personal choices. As others have stated, no one here is really against bents, I would love to have one some day, they just have many downsides for the type of riding I do, and are not safe where I ride generally due to how low they are, the narrow twisty roads here, coupled with the traffic.

What we are against is your caustic, superiority complex. May what you need is a personality reboot. Start over. Your experience with bents could even be useful for those interested, but your current, and past approach is tiresome, and ineffective.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-18-22, 10:58 AM
phughes

Speaking of going on and on, how many "my butt is sore" or " what saddle wont hurt my butt" threads are on this forum?
More for DF bikes, because, well, there vastly more DF bikes out there than bents. Saddles issues are for the most part a bike fit problems are not the saddle, or the DF bike. I will state it again, I am uncomfortable on bents, they hurt my lower back and my tailbone. Could I possible become comfortable? Very possibly, but it would most likely involve a thread on how uncomfortable I am on my bent.

Now, do you have any substantive arguments or will continue on posting nonsense, ignoring the vast number of DF bikes on the road vs bents, and therefor the greater number of threads about them?
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-18-22, 11:05 AM
phughes

During that 135 miles, how much time did you spend staring down at your front wheel and the ground. Before you answer remember I rode DF bike for 60 years, and I know the habits of DF riders.
You know YOUR habits, if you did that, it is your fault, not that of the DF bike. I haven't, and have no desire to stare at my wheel. It just isn't interesting enough.
Old 07-18-22, 11:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The view from a bent is glorious, the rain and sun's incident angle is 90 degrees.

Thank goodness for the MOHS procedure and plastic surgeons who can put a 3.5 inch hole back together.

The best part of rain? The water puddles up and your ass is in a fetid puddle.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 07-18-22, 11:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Speaking of going on and on, how many "my butt is sore" or " what saddle wont hurt my butt" threads are on this forum?

Speaking of pains in the butt...

How ya' doin', Rydabent?

BTW, counting threads is a really stupid way to decide whether something is an issue for most people. You still don't have an answer for why I see about 1000 DF bikes for every bent I see if you're right about bents replacing DF bikes.

The more you say about DF bikes, the more obvious it is that you were never much of a rider.

Last edited by livedarklions; 07-18-22 at 11:26 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-22, 11:26 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Actually I have a very great sense of humor. When I run sag stops, I get a chuckle out of the DF riders that immediately get off their bikes and start pulling at their laundry from riding those really comfortable DF bikes.
They're laughing at you, not with you.

PS: I'm still waiting for you to show us those bikes with "36 or more gears" that you were ranting about in the other thread.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-18-22, 11:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Actually I have a very great sense of humor. When I run sag stops, I get a chuckle out of the DF riders that immediately get off their bikes and start pulling at their laundry from riding those really comfortable DF bikes.

Sorry, but that's just sad.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-22, 11:42 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
It is true that many cyclists are not serious enough to find the correct saddle, trousers, lube and setup to ride comfortably. But that is on them.....not the DF
Old 07-18-22, 02:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
Can a bot laugh? If so, the E-Bot OP is probably amused by the DependsaBent hijack.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-18-22, 02:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Can a bot laugh? If so, the E-Bot OP is probably amused by the DependsaBent hijack.

Can a bot laugh hard enough to pee its cycling pants?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-18-22, 02:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Where I come from, a stop is called a rest stop. SAG (Support and Gear) provides service on the road and transports riders and gear.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-18-22, 02:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
It is true that many cyclists are not serious enough to find the correct saddle, trousers, lube and setup to ride comfortably. But that is on them.....not the DF
I once owned a car with an uncomfortable seat. No matter how I adjusted it, my back would hurt after driving for a while. So I decided that cars suck, and I got a horse instead.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-19-22, 03:52 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Then I suggest you go buy a DF bike and ride it , instead of blathering on about how horrible they are, and continually criticizing those who ride them and their personal choices. As others have stated, no one here is really against bents, I would love to have one some day, they just have many downsides for the type of riding I do, and are not safe where I ride generally due to how low they are, the narrow twisty roads here, coupled with the traffic.

What we are against is your caustic, superiority complex. May what you need is a personality reboot. Start over. Your experience with bents could even be useful for those interested, but your current, and past approach is tiresome, and ineffective.
Again--------------------I rode DF bikes for 60 years, and know all about them. I know the plusses and minuses. For me any way the comfort and view from a bent simply cant be beat. And yes, after 17 years I know the plusses and minuses of bents too.
Old 07-19-22, 05:09 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8278 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

Thank goodness for the MOHS procedure and plastic surgeons who can put a 3.5 inch hole back together..
You had skin cancer? I hope they got it all if that's true. My ex had to deal with it and some friends, too, with one of them ending up with lung cancer. Last time I rode with him he dropped me in the hills with one lung.
Old 07-19-22, 05:27 PM
big john

Our club has always been recumbent friendly, partly because they are so rare. I have been a member for 33 years and there have been as many as 500 members. In all that time I can only recall 4 recumbents riding with us. One of these was on a 17 pound cf bent and he was the one who came out the most. He did fine but wouldn't do longer climbing rides. Another was the owner of Bent Up Cycles, a bent store here who used to make the Carbent brand frames. He wouldn't climb at all.

There was a young guy who rode a titanium bent and did do the long climbing rides with us, the only bent rider I ever saw doing that. He did quite well, not the fastest rider but I rode with him a bit. I'm not the fastest rider, either, btw.

There was a BF member years ago who did PBP on a bent. I think his name was Ron Smith. He was tall, like 6'6" and I met him on BF rides. Nice guy, funny, and pretty strong on the bent.

So yeah, in around 40 years and well over 200K miles of riding in a bicycle rich area and riding with several clubs I've only ridden with a handful of bents. Never had a problem with one and never had a bent rider criticize df bikes except in a friendly way.

I also can't remember staring at my front wheel, who does that?
Likes For big john:
Old 07-19-22, 06:02 PM
phughes

Again--------------------I rode DF bikes for 60 years, and know all about them. I know the plusses and minuses. For me any way the comfort and view from a bent simply cant be beat. And yes, after 17 years I know the plusses and minuses of bents too.
You know all about DF bikes, and yet you get so much wrong about them in your arguments. You have finally though made a correct argument in the post I'm quoting. You say, "For me," and that is the only correct statement you have made in al your arguments, and that one I can agree with. The bent works for you, and that is great. That is why we have different styles of bikes, and I am happy you found a style that works for you.

The only issue anyone has with what you post has nothing to do with the merits of a bent, the issue is you caustic manner in your arguments, making nonsensical conclusions that DF bikes are bad for one reason or another, based on the number of posts you see about an issue related to them, compared to what you see posted about the issues bents have, ignoring the fact there are simply many more DF bike on the order of millions I would estimate compared to bents. Of course there will be more posts regarding issues with DF bikes, there are simply vastly more DF bikes.

So instead of making snide, incorrect arguments about DF bike, thereby turning people off from even considering anything you say, why don't you focus on what makes a bent good for you, instead of telling people the bent is God's gift to bikes, they aren't. They are interesting, and meet the needs of some, but if they truly were so universally wonderful, they would have taken off a long time ago, and you would see them everywhere. I have seen maybe two or three in the wild. They aren't even close to popular, and there are many reasons for that. If you change you approach, and become someone people actually want to listen to, and possibly even respect, then maybe you can get some people to try them, and possibly even help someone who is dealing with issues a bent may help alleviate.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-19-22, 06:48 PM
indyfabz

You know all about DF bikes, and yet you get so much wrong about them in your arguments. You have finally though made a correct argument in the post I'm quoting. You say, "For me," and that is the only correct statement you have made in al your arguments, and that one I can agree with. The bent works for you, and that is great. That is why we have different styles of bikes, and I am happy you found a style that works for you.

The only issue anyone has with what you post has nothing to do with the merits of a bent, the issue is you caustic manner in your arguments, making nonsensical conclusions that DF bikes are bad for one reason or another, based on the number of posts you see about an issue related to them, compared to what you see posted about the issues bents have, ignoring the fact there are simply many more DF bike on the order of millions I would estimate compared to bents. Of course there will be more posts regarding issues with DF bikes, there are simply vastly more DF bikes.

So instead of making snide, incorrect arguments about DF bike, thereby turning people off from even considering anything you say, why don't you focus on what makes a bent good for you, instead of telling people the bent is God's gift to bikes, they aren't. They are interesting, and meet the needs of some, but if they truly were so universally wonderful, they would have taken off a long time ago, and you would see them everywhere. I have seen maybe two or three in the wild. They aren't even close to popular, and there are many reasons for that. If you change you approach, and become someone people actually want to listen to, and possibly even respect, then maybe you can get some people to try them, and possibly even help someone who is dealing with issues a bent may help alleviate.
Do you really take his posts seriously?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-19-22, 06:49 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I take them as seriously annoying.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-19-22, 07:35 PM
big john

It seems as though nothing ever gets through, not even a little bit. He just repeats the same tired stuff.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-19-22, 07:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by big john
It seems as though nothing ever gets through, not even a little bit. He just repeats the same tired stuff.
He takes after you. Funny how that is.
Old 07-19-22, 07:42 PM
indyfabz

Do you not realize that’s his goal?
Old 07-19-22, 07:44 PM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
I rode my recumbent trike tonight with cycling pants on.
Likes For m.c.:
Old 07-19-22, 07:46 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Where I come from, a stop is called a rest stop. SAG (Support and Gear) provides service on the road and transports riders and gear.
I've often wondered what SAG stood for and now I know. This train wreck of a post turned out to be educational.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-19-22, 08:00 PM
big john

He takes after you. Funny how that is.
Hey, I try to throw him a bone once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.