Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cup and cone vs sealed

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cup and cone vs sealed

Old 07-20-22, 05:00 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
or use Campag hubs which allow the bearing preload to be set while the wheel is clamped into the frame
This can be done with regular hubs too by clamping the wheel to the *outside* of the frame with the lever end inside the dropout. This leaves one of the bearing locknut/cone assemblies available for adjustment.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 07-20-22, 11:10 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Terminology is a problem here... I think you are referring to 'cartridge bearings'.

Both cartridge and cup and cone bearings can be well sealed or poorly sealed. In isolation, a simple air dam seal in a standard cart bearing is wholly inadequate when a bike is used in wet conditions. But if this air dam is reinforced with a second outer seal, separated with an air gap, then the sealing is acceptable.

Newer Shimano and Campagnolo (the top end ones) feature cup and cone bearings and are very well sealed indeed. Inner and outer rubber seals with an air gap.

I mountain biked for 5 years with a set of Shimano LX hubs. There were many times that the bike was fully submerged during creek crossings, and several times were the bike was so muddy that the wheels were immobilized. The LX hubs went through hell and back on a weekly basis. Mainly out of curiosity, I cracked them open at the 5 year mark to find minty fresh factory grease. The mid-range Shimano hubs are an amazing bargain.
A radial bearing is a cartridge bearing. The cartridge term is bike related.
Old 07-20-22, 12:02 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
How long can a set of cup and cone hubs last?

Several of the posters here have claimed that cartridge-bearing hubs are superior (not) because the bearings can be replaced if they go bad, whereas cup and cone hubs are throwaways.

First, it takes an immense amount of abuse to kill a mid-range or better Shimano hub. As in years of salt-water scuba bike polo or regularly using a pressure-washer to clean the bike. But working in a high-volume bike Co-op, I've seen many cup and cone hubs that need work. Mind you, these hubs were produced in the millions, so statistically, these hubs are not over-represented.

90% of the crunchy Shimano hubs that I see can be fixed with a new complement of ball bearings ($2), new cones (scavenged from damaged wheels - $5) and fresh grease of course. We have buckets of replacement cones and axle parts. It is only rarely that a hub is so abused that the cups are pitted. But these can be replaced too! Using the same tools and technique as replacing hub cartridge bearings.

I just pulled this exercise off on a donated Dura-Ace (freewheel) hub. The cones, balls and cups were pitted beyond repair, and the 'grease' remaining in the hub was a black sludge mixed with metal shavings. Obviously, this hub has led a hard life and had never seen any care and attention.

I punched out the old cups and replaced them with ones from an old wrecked Campy Record rear hub - exact dimensional fit. Cones and balls were an easy replacement. Hub is good as new, and good for another few 10's of thousands of miles. Or more if serviced at yearly intervals.
Old 07-20-22, 12:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Yeah, I think I'll take my Dura Ace cup-and-cone hubs over just about anything, thank you.
Old 07-20-22, 01:02 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,671 Posts
Is cup-and-cone technology still used anywhere other than in bicycles?
Old 07-20-22, 01:19 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I have no idea. But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

My RV still uses sold brass blocks riding on top of a steel axle as a bearing. Been working well since 1941.
Old 07-20-22, 02:29 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
None that I can think of off hand. However, the general concept of an angular contact or axial thrust bearing with a threaded preload/clearance adjustment is still done in many millions, if not billions, of parts per year.
Old 07-20-22, 04:15 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
How long can a set of cup and cone hubs last?

Several of the posters here have claimed that cartridge-bearing hubs are superior (not) because the bearings can be replaced if they go bad, whereas cup and cone hubs are throwaways.

First, it takes an immense amount of abuse to kill a mid-range or better Shimano hub. As in years of salt-water scuba bike polo or regularly using a pressure-washer to clean the bike. But working in a high-volume bike Co-op, I've seen many cup and cone hubs that need work. Mind you, these hubs were produced in the millions, so statistically, these hubs are not over-represented.
That may be true for the cup but cones are often easily damaged and frequently need replacement…and at a far faster rate than cartridge bearing hubs. Given Shimano’s predereliction towards planned obsolescence, that can make replacing a cone difficult. If you can’t find a suitable replacement, the hub is functional junk.

90% of the crunchy Shimano hubs that I see can be fixed with a new complement of ball bearings ($2), new cones (scavenged from damaged wheels - $5) and fresh grease of course. We have buckets of replacement cones and axle parts. It is only rarely that a hub is so abused that the cups are pitted. But these can be replaced too! Using the same tools and technique as replacing hub cartridge bearings.
But, again, you have to source the parts. I’ve never seen a replacement cup listed anywhere as a spare part. Granted, cup replacement is infrequent but that just makes getting the parts from a company that doesn’t support old tech even harder.

I just pulled this exercise off on a donated Dura-Ace (freewheel) hub. The cones, balls and cups were pitted beyond repair, and the 'grease' remaining in the hub was a black sludge mixed with metal shavings. Obviously, this hub has led a hard life and had never seen any care and attention.

I punched out the old cups and replaced them with ones from an old wrecked Campy Record rear hub - exact dimensional fit. Cones and balls were an easy replacement. Hub is good as new, and good for another few 10's of thousands of miles. Or more if serviced at yearly intervals.
See the problem here? You may be able to replace the cups but the stars kind of have to align for that to happen. You just happen to have the Campy cups on hand. If you didn’t have the cups, you can’t repair the hubs. Most people probably wouldn’t go the extra mile to find out if the Camp cups were the same dimensions nor, for that matter, think to try them.

Compare that to a cartridge bearing hub. I can measure them and get the replacement bearing quickly and easily from just about anywhere that sells bearings. Many of the ones on bicycles can even be picked up from an auto parts store.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-20-22, 04:43 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Adventures in replacing hub cartridge bearings

Been through every one of these - several times:
  • Cannot remove bearing because it is corroded tight into the hub shell. Removal efforts eventually damages hub shell.
  • Cannot remove cart bearing because it wasn't meant to be removed by anyone but the manufacturer. Wouldn't want any wanabee mechanics violating our gear, and we want to keep our customers tied to us... Will take a month coming and going.
  • Hub shell gets ovalized on either removal or installation of replacement bearing. New bearings never seat correctly after this. Yeah, I know this can be categorized as pilot error, but we're all human.
  • Bearing takes 3 weeks on special order. Bike shops keep cartridge bearings in stock? Ha.
  • Cost: shop says that the uber-rare & precision 6001-2RS bearing will take 3 weeks to arrive, cost $25 and we will need to install it for you. Add $75 shop time.
  • The hard sell: shop says that a ceramic upgrade will save you 45 watts per wheel, but cost $100 per bearing. Shop damages ceramic bearing on install.
  • Motivation: shop actually has the uber-rare 6001 bearing in stock, but couldn't be bothered to even look for it when you really need a new wheel. Or better: a new bike.
Old 07-20-22, 05:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Adventures in replacing hub cartridge bearings

Been through every one of these - several times:
To be clear, I haven’t had to replace many cartridge bearings. That’s the beauty of cartridge bearings…they last, roughly, forever.

• Cannot remove bearing because it is corroded tight into the hub shell. Removal efforts eventually damages hub shell.
  • Cannot remove cart bearing because it wasn't meant to be removed by anyone but the manufacturer. Wouldn't want any wanabee mechanics violating our gear, and we want to keep our customers tied to us... Will take a month coming and going.
  • Hub shell gets ovalized on either removal or installation of replacement bearing. New bearings never seat correctly after this. Yeah, I know this can be categorized as pilot error, but we're all human.
  • Bearing takes 3 weeks on special order. Bike shops keep cartridge bearings in stock? Ha.
  • Cost: shop says that the uber-rare & precision 6001-2RS bearing will take 3 weeks to arrive, cost $25 and we will need to install it for you. Add $75 shop time.
  • The hard sell: shop says that a ceramic upgrade will save you 45 watts per wheel, but cost $100 per bearing. Shop damages ceramic bearing on install.
  • Motivation: shop actually has the uber-rare 6001 bearing in stock, but couldn't be bothered to even look for it when you really need a new wheel. Or better: a new bike.
That said, I’ve never had problems replacing the bearing nor sourcing the bearing. Nor have I found 6001 bearings to be “rare”. They are 12x28x8mm bearings. On-line you can find thousands of them for less than $10…even the 2RS which just means “rubber seal, two sides”. I’ve even installed 6001-2RS in a hub rebuild (and old Ringle’ Super Hubabuba) and it was quite easy.

I can also find ceramic 6001-2RS bearings for as little as $15. They can be pricier but they don’t have to be. And, again, they are not rare nor even propietary.

Finally, I didn’t say that bike shops kept cartridge bearings in stock…the bearings seldom need replacement so shop don’t need to carry them in stock. I said you can get the bearings at auto parts stores. The 6002-2RS is a clutch pilot bearing. Granted clutch’s aren’t really that prevalent anymore so an auto parts store probably won’t carry too many in inventory either. But you can easily get them on-line.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-21-22, 12:58 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
This can be done with regular hubs too by clamping the wheel to the *outside* of the frame with the lever end inside the dropout. This leaves one of the bearing locknut/cone assemblies available for adjustment.
That’s a good trick. But just as with the Campy hub, or the vise mounted fixture, you end up spinning the heavy wheel on the stationary hub. It’s hard to feel bearing tightness when you are spinning a heavy wheel. Much easier to feel bearing play when you are spinning the axle on a stationary wheel.
I do something similar to Shimano’s indexed system. I mark the axle so I can return the axle to the same clock position. And then I mark the adjustment cone so I can try it in different clock positions.
It kind of works but it’s a tedious and frustrating exercise that wastes my time and makes me angry.