Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Spontaneous combustion of electric bicycles

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Spontaneous combustion of electric bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-22, 08:34 PM
I_like_e_bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Exclamation Spontaneous combustion of electric bicycles

When I watch videos of e-bikes spontaneously combusting, it's too dangerous and scary, e-bikes burning fast indoors and don't give us much time to react and think.
For safety reasons, you can share some solutions or places that need attention so that more people who own electric bicycles can see and avoid accidents.
Old 09-12-22, 10:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Don't buy cheap garbage, get something that is UL listed and built by a reputable manufacturer especially battery wise. I haven't had issues with Bosch or Brose bikes on fire and we have been selling them for probably 10 years or so. Not saying it couldn't happen but it would be tougher.

If you decided to go with the low initial cost bike store and charge the battery in a fireproof box and make sure you have the proper chemical fire extinguisher handy (along with knowledge on how to use it properly) and keep the fire department on speed dial.
Old 09-13-22, 08:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Don't charge or store your battery in a place where you wouldn't mind having a fire or purchase from a reputable company (I trust Giant, Trek, ebikesca, etc).
Old 09-13-22, 10:42 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Spontaneous lithium-ion battery fires are rare enough that nearly every one of them is published. Fires involving accidents, including all types of batteries are much more common. Lack of common sense caused battery fires are more common than accident fires. People who pay more for a bike tend to take better care of the bike
Old 09-13-22, 12:33 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Our perspectives are warped by the media. Growing up my access to the news was largely from newspapers and I would not be reading about a **** or a trafffic accident in the next town or the next state. Now we get news on events that are happening around the world and what is rare appears to be commonplace. A single event can get posted on social media and no one stops to think whether this is a representative sampling.

Lithium batteries in cell phones were known to catch fire and it was usually when they were left to charge inside cars and the cars were out in the sun. With a bike battery I have mine outside in a shed along with my e-bikes and I charge them on the pavement outside of my house. In the extremely unlikely event one was to catch fire I might lose my shed but not my house.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 09-13-22, 07:09 PM
I_like_e_bike

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
With a bike battery I have mine outside in a shed along with my e-bikes and I charge them on the pavement outside of my house. In the extremely unlikely event one was to catch fire I might lose my shed but not my house.
I quite agree with your approach, which I think is correct and implementable.
Likes For I_like_e_bike:
Old 09-13-22, 07:12 PM
I_like_e_bike

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
People who pay more for a bike tend to take better care of the bike
But maybe some people can't pay a higher price to buy a good e-bike, they will choose a lower price to meet their needs.
Old 09-13-22, 07:15 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_e_bike
But maybe some people can't pay a higher price to buy a good e-bike, they will choose a lower price to meet their needs.
Then it's their problem unfortunately. Saying "it's all I could afford" means get a non-electric bike.
Old 09-14-22, 10:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by i_like_e_bike
but maybe some people can't pay a higher initial price to buy a good e-bike, they will choose a lower initial price to meet their needs even if is more unsafe.
ftfy