Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Backpack Suggestions

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Backpack Suggestions

Old 09-24-22, 03:34 PM
Joseph Williams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Backpack Suggestions

I've been using the Proviz reflect360 backpack. Ngl it has been a joy to use. But I can see it wearing off. Hence, I've started looking into backpack suggestions that'd suit well with me. I mean I could buy another Proviz reflect360 but I want to take this opportunity to try something new. I am not a heavy packer. Sometimes I carry my laptop. But mostly it's just a notebook and some stationary stuff. And a little bit of bike accessories for when I'm not riding the bike. I could use some suggestions.
Old 09-25-22, 12:31 PM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Yeah, sure, try something new. Improve! A new backpack with that feature that your existing backpack was missing.

Of course there are many backpacks :-)
Simply check out the stores near you, try them out if you can – feel them. You might find a bargain.
First determine what you want, expect. Presumably a relatively small, not too heavy backpack that fits all your stuff anyway. Something that fits comfortably on the back. Not too heavy. With or without rain cover. Perhaps one with the option to attach a small, flashing taillight instead of (wearing) hi-viz elements. Whatever feels good I'd say.

Or think out of the box: e.g. pannier? Look the streets for inspiration, talk to a friend or a sporty stranger ...
Old 10-23-22, 12:44 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I'm not familiar with what you are using but I have Osprey, Timbuk2 and Chrome backpacks and messenger bags. All are very good, but I like my Osprey the best. As you may already know, beware of roll top bags as they may hinder using mirrors or simply looking back over your shoulder.
Old 10-23-22, 05:03 AM
amos77

Bikes: 2016 Marin mount vision 7. 2010 Marin San Rafael.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
what osprey?

Originally Posted by MAK
I'm not familiar with what you are using but I have Osprey, Timbuk2 and Chrome backpacks and messenger bags. All are very good, but I like my Osprey the best. As you may already know, beware of roll top bags as they may hinder using mirrors or simply looking back over your shoulder.
What is the exact model of your osprey backpack?
Old 10-23-22, 09:34 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by amos77
What is the exact model of your osprey backpack?
I believe that it's the Expedition 25L model. Unfortunately, it isn't made any more. Similar Osprey packs for cycling are available in various sizes. If you're near an REI, they'll have a few models on display or you can go to the Osprey site.

I got the 25L size because I also use it for day hikes and I like room so I don't have to stuff my stuff into it.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-22, 07:10 PM
myemptymind

Bikes: BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I have Chrome industries roll top that I think isn't made anymore and also and Osprey cycling bag. Both are good but I use the chrome more often.