Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Finally Giving Up on Ebay Selling

Old 09-26-22, 11:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
I hereby admonish myself for ever participating in this thread! /s

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 11:56 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Perhaps I missed something. But it sure seems like Manny respected the Admin's decision since Manny has not continued the conversation with Cudak.
Please try to let these two mature individuals settle their differences on their own without interference from outsiders. Thank you, and have a pleasant day!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 09-26-22, 03:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...hi. What's this thread about, please ?
Old 09-26-22, 07:08 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 240 Posts
My recent 30-day eBay history of vintage bike parts generated a gross $1,238 on 18 items.
eBay fees totaled about $165. All my listings include free shipping, which I build into my pricing.
That shipping took out another $140 from the totals. All small items mostly sent priority mail.
Those eBay fees include a 12.9% variable rate and thirty cents flat rate for sold listings.
Gone are the days of starting auctions at a penny and letting the thing go hog wild with a fifty bid frenzy.
Nowadays, one's gotta start it at the lowest fair price and hope it gets multiple interested bidders.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 09-26-22, 07:18 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I quit ebay a long time ago (>10 years, maybe 20 years ago).

I dropped them like a HOT! rock when they wanted unfettered access to my bank accounts for buying items on their service. No Thank You!
Old 09-26-22, 07:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by roadcrankr
My recent 30-day eBay history of vintage bike parts generated a gross $1,238 on 18 items.
eBay fees totaled about $165. All my listings include free shipping, which I build into my pricing.
That shipping took out another $140 from the totals. All small items mostly sent priority mail.
Those eBay fees include a 12.9% variable rate and thirty cents flat rate for sold listings.
Gone are the days of starting auctions at a penny and letting the thing go hog wild with a fifty bid frenzy.
Nowadays, one's gotta start it at the lowest fair price and hope it gets multiple interested bidders.
Don't forget the applicable tax rate on the gross $1,238.

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 08:15 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Originally Posted by cudak888
Don't forget the applicable tax rate on the gross $1,238.

-Kurt
Yeah...that $1,238 is net of sales tax. The buyer pays that, essentially.
Old 09-26-22, 08:19 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Yeah...that $1,238 is net of sales tax. The buyer pays that, essentially.
I meant income tax for you - the additional expense in addition to the eBay 12.9% + $0.30/listing.

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 08:23 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Originally Posted by cudak888
I meant income tax for you - the additional expense in addition to the eBay 12.9% + $0.30/listing.

-Kurt
Nope. If you followed along this entire twisted journey of a thread, you would understand that I will entirely negate the taxable income.
i.e., $1,238 gross minus $1,238 expenses on Schedule C = zero taxable effect.
Old 09-26-22, 08:25 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Nope. If you followed along this entire twisted journey of a thread, you would understand that I will entirely negate the taxable income.
i.e., $1,238 gross minus $1,238 expenses on Schedule C = zero taxable effect.
Sorry, difficult to keep track of usernames and remember who was doing what. Got it though; fair enough!

-Kurt

Old 09-26-22, 08:59 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
any chance this thread can get back to the matter at hand? i'm going to loose my storage space in the spring and i'm pondering how to sell some of my heard, so i'm really interested in where to list some bikes and parts...
Depends on the goal. If the goal is to clear the space, I'd donate to a co op. If the goal is to maximize return, then I'd start listing on ebay. Ignore asking prices. Instead, focus on prices on items that have actually SOLD. If you are new, discount it some from there. And be prepared for ebay to hold your funds for a while, which they do for any new or infrequent sellers. Want to be empty by Spring? Start listing stuff NOW.

Apply 80/20 rule to the stash. 80% of the dollars are in 20% of the pile. Start with that pile. I've even done the 80/20 sort twice. Separate the pile into the 20% with the most potential. Then take that pile, and separate it again, into the 20% of that pile that has the most potential. All of a sudden, you are just looking at 5% of the pile, which is a lot easier to deal with. Polish off that 5% cut, and then go back to that 20% pile, and grab another 5%. Do that a couple of times, and you will likely be donating the rest of it.

If there is a bicycle swap in your area, take a lot there. Be prepared to sell under market.

Also consider ease of packing. Make it easy on YOU. Its that old saying: "start small, win big. Start big, lose big."

Last edited by wrk101; 09-26-22 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-26-22, 09:56 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
I have been buying and selling on eBay for over 20 years now. For the most part they do provide a good experience for both sellers and buyers. Some of the changes are really great especially printing of shipping labels, and getting rid of PayPal to name a few. Yep the 1099 isn't the greatest but yet we do live in the information age so put in a bit of effort fill out a schedule "C" or even try Craig's or FB Marketplace. Of course eBay does not care about small sellers they have millions how can they?, However, having some real income as a result of (Yes, selling is real work) can make a difference financially to many people who choose to use their service. Even my 83 year old Dad, who bought a cast iron racing car for $20 at a garage sale a week or so ago - takes pictures writes up a description and starts an eBay auction is THRILLED when it sold for $350. You have a vast audience reach with eBay, so to me it is all how you look at opportunity.
Old 09-27-22, 12:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
i'm going to loose my storage space in the spring
I loose mine every morning. Like clockwork.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-27-22, 06:15 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 206 Posts
if you sell on ebay, does ebay allow the seller to show a link to your own website? in other words, if i wanted to set up an online store (not through ebay) to sell bikes and parts, is there a way to display a business website that folks can navigate to? wondering if i can list a few token things on ebay but have a way for buyers to find my own seller website...
Old 09-27-22, 08:16 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
if you sell on ebay, does ebay allow the seller to show a link to your own website? in other words, if i wanted to set up an online store (not through ebay) to sell bikes and parts, is there a way to display a business website that folks can navigate to? wondering if i can list a few token things on ebay but have a way for buyers to find my own seller website...
Clearly sketch and would violate rules that a global selling platform would have in place.
I have purchased many items direct from a shop that also has an ebay storefront(randombikeparts, 365cycles, kyle's, etc).
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-27-22, 08:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

No links ever. You need to be much more discrete. eBay has no interest in marketing for other sites, unless you want to pay for ads on their site. Two ways people promote sales outside of ebay: 1. Insert a flyer into every sale package. "Thank you for your order. To see even more great items, visit my site at xyzzy.... and use this code for $5 off." 2. Speak in code on your listing. "You can see even more of my items on that popular social media site with the same user name."

Be prepared if you are caught you will get a LIFETIME ban from ebay. No hearing, no phone call, no debate. Banned. Ebay wields a big stick and has no problem banning sellers for life. Having sold on ebay for almost 23 years now, it is NOT worth the risk to me. And I sell such a wide variety of stuff: clothing, books, odd ball collectibles, and bike stuff. No single web site would work for me. And eBay gives me global exposure = higher prices. Google lifetime ban ebay, watch some of the YouTube videos. Big sellers, hundreds of thousands of dollars per year or more, have been banned by ebay, destroying their business.

Sell stuff where the fees are worth it. Buy a book for $1, sell for $50, pay $10 in fees, make $39 in profit on a $1 investment. Repeat. This is what I gladly pay ebay for. Most of my stuff, if I sold locally, I'd break even on that $1, or maybe sell for $5 MAX. So that is a $4 profit. Lets see, would I rather make $39 or $4?

I do not get this kind of multiplier on bike stuff!
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-27-22, 08:33 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

how about selling on etsy?
Old 09-27-22, 09:16 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by wrk101
Be prepared if you are caught you will get a LIFETIME ban from ebay.
True, but they're much more likely to stick a seller with preemptive final value fees if they believe contact information has been shared before a sale.

-Kurt

Old 09-27-22, 10:10 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

how about selling on etsy?
Every other site gets fewer eyeballs = less money for you. In the end, you decide. Me, I don't want to learn how to prosper on two platforms, then three, and so on. I'll stick with one.

When I pay for access to customers (which is basically what you are doing on any of the sites), I want the LARGEST audience, across the globe.

Last edited by wrk101; 09-27-22 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-27-22, 10:16 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Originally Posted by wrk101
Every other site gets fewer eyeballs = less money for you. In the end, you decide. Me, I don't want to learn how to prosper on two platforms, then three, and so on. I'll stick with one.

When I pay for access to customers (which is basically what you are doing on any of the sites), I want the LARGEST audience, across the globe.
makes sense. thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-22, 11:50 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
I don't sell enough to play with ebay and only buy from ebay when i cant find something any place else, but it does seem that you need to have a business approach to using ebay, knowing cost of goods sold, allowing for issues and calculating true profit to determine it's value to you

my 2 cents is that the C&V sales is the best place for me to sell and buy.

the value is greater than either price or cost. I know am getting quality goods at almost always better shape than posted, well packed from good people.

it is also fun to see what happens like the de rosa frame that I bought and was a smidge too big that I resold

this is huge part of the C&V community, and i have ended up of the years meeting a number in real life

just look at feedback in sales, almost no negative at all....if there is it is kept private more often than not

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 09-27-22, 01:13 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I don't sell enough to play with ebay and only buy from ebay when i cant find something any place else, but it does seem that you need to have a business approach to using ebay, knowing cost of goods sold, allowing for issues and calculating true profit to determine it's value to you

my 2 cents is that the C&V sales is the best place for me to sell and buy.

the value is greater than either price or cost. I know am getting quality goods at almost always better shape than posted, well packed from good people.

it is also fun to see what happens like the de rosa frame that I bought and was a smidge too big that I resold

this is huge part of the C&V community, and i have ended up of the years meeting a number in real life

just look at feedback in sales, almost no negative at all....if there is it is kept private more often than not
I Agree 100%,
Ive had nothing but great experiences buying and selling on BF. The prices are reasonable and the Transactions are always trouble free. Ive even had people walk up to me at C-V Cycling events and introduce themselves because of transactions made here. Always a positive experience.
Old 09-27-22, 01:25 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
LOL, right!

My outlet for selling is KSL.com, the online equivalent to local paper ads. Limited market and it can take awhile but I deal in cash, make no profit, and get to see the buyers smile face to face. Priceless and so much better than dealing with the hassle of Ebay. I don't do any of this crazy bike stuff to make money off of anyone, just spread the joy.
Quiet, James! You'll let everyone else in on our secret!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 09-28-22, 04:44 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

The buyer winning almost every dispute is common throughout the internet. Amazon has really spoiled buyers and that has set the standard for everyone else.

Have you done a return on Amazon lately? In my area, I get a return code, drop the item off at the local UPS store, unpacked. They toss it in a huge bin. I doubt sellers ever see their item again. I know Amazon sells return bins.

I’ve had other Amazon returns where I got a full refund and was told to keep the item.

The only way this works is if most transactions go through without an issue.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 09-28-22, 09:40 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
A little while back, there was a thread about Silca over on the Paceline. It turned out that Josh, who runs Silca, was on vacation. He came back and chimed in on that thread. It led to an article on Cyclingtips.

It's worth the read for what is happening in the online marketplace: https://cyclingtips.com/2022/07/inte...theft-returns/
Likes For TimmyT:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.